Help please, the FTO is on the line!

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

barbieros
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Help please, the FTO is on the line!

Post by barbieros »

If i can't get insurance on this beast i won't be able to get it. I've tried everything i know, and i'm pretty much stuffed. Just Car quoted me $2600 with a $2k excess, Young and cool will not insure me because i will drive it to work and can't give them a work address. Gio wont do it. I haven't even bothered with AAMI, RACX or ALLianze. Unique Car insurance is calling me back and Shannons don't insure under 25s.

If anyone has any idea what the hell i'm suppose to do, please help me out here. I'm 19 and in Melbourne, so no insurer will touch me at the best of times.

I really don't see the point of buying an FTO for $11k, having a premium of $2600 and a $2000 excess.

help!
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

shannons will insure under 25s if you can prove that you are a car enthusiast.. i.e. member of car clubs, take your car to the track, etc.

but yeah.. your lookin at 2 grand plus for compo with anyone.. either just get CTP or don't buy an import really..
Rocco
Grease Monkey

Post by Rocco »

Just get third party if u are dead set on getting an import and can't afford the premiums
FTO-279
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Why do you have to have comprehensive insurance?
jakey106
Mechanic

Post by jakey106 »

will you be using the FTO for work e.g driving it for work reasons. Or just driving it to work and home again becuase i am with young and call and they asked me if i will be using the car for work reasons and i said no because i am not but if you are just using the car to drive to and from work it should be ok.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Just get 3rd party, as most insurance company are the same when it comes to import.

Budget Direct is the cheapest i've seen so far and their T&C are almost the same as AAMI, but i don't know if they do imports.

Their number is 1300 306 560

G'luck.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
barbieros

Post by barbieros »

I just use the car to get to work. 3rd Party does look like the best option here. As long as nothing happens within the first two years it works out cheaper for me anyway.
jakey106
Mechanic

Post by jakey106 »

Yound and cool should cover you cause i drive my car to work they just dont cover it if you use it for work
Aspenmai
Apprentice

Post by Aspenmai »

When you have that profile - basically under 25 and import - your insurance will pretty much be around there. And that is based on a number of factors out of your control. It really then becomes a personal choice - based on your circumstances.

When you mentioned you had to get it comprehensively insured - did that have to do maybe with financing arrangements. I know sometimes when you get certain loans it has to be comp insured - but thats usually only with car loans aka for new cars.

I'd say aim for comprehensive insurance always - you only have to look around on various car forums to see the things that happen unexpectedly. But if you can't afford it - you'll just have to be extra careful. When I first got my FTO I couldn't afford it either, so I just did the usual, alarm, wheel lock, etc.

AAMI - will direct you to Just Cars - as they are underwritten by AAMI already.

Driving it to work - if you can't give them address they don't have all information relevant to your vehicle, because it may affect the premium depending on where you park it, esp if you work full time, your car is potentially sitting there for a large portion of the day - they'd want to know if it is undercover, security parking or street parking. etc. Make sure you disclose correct information and it might work out better for you.

cheers
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

buy a ford fairmont for 7k and insure it for $680. Save up and buy a import and afford the insurance once your over 25.
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

I am with "TORQUE" number is 1300 369 769

they should be OK cost wise it will still be up close to the 2K

Tarkus
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
DeFunkeD
Apprentice
Location: Tha Riff *tries to make gangsta style "W" with hand*

Post by DeFunkeD »

i think it's funny that you think that 2k is a lot. the cheapest i could find fro full compo was with young and cool and im paying about 3.5k in premiums plus 1k excess. seriously dude, 2k is not much at all for a 19yo with an import. even when i had a honda prelude compo would have been more than that (had i bothered to insure it).
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

I can't believe people are actually reccomending 3rd party only. 8O

Hes going to have an $11,000 car which isn't insured? Insure it under your parents name and you as a secondary, otherwise don't bother. You want to keep that thing safe, you need insurance.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

oodLes wrote:I can't believe people are actually reccomending 3rd party only. 8O

Hes going to have an $11,000 car which isn't insured? Insure it under your parents name and you as a secondary, otherwise don't bother. You want to keep that thing safe, you need insurance.
INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL ONLY INSURE UNDER THE YOUNGEST DRIVER for any imports, performance and most luxury cars.

And 3rd party is still insurance, it is better then his not insuring it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
barbieros

Post by barbieros »

Thanks for all your help guys, unique still hasn't rang me back, FTO338 i sright though, it has to be fully insured, there are other people on the road too. My sister got her car cleaned up the other day coz some idiot in a VP commodore cut her off at a round about and took the front of the car off- and then ran. Luckily she had her '93 swift insured full compo and it worked out ok.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

i'm with just cars, they quoted me around the 1500 mark for full comp i think. (i have 3rd party and F+T for 450, because i'm poor though lol)

if that helps :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

You'd have to cause more than $3000 worth of damage to the fto in one year for the full comprehensive to be worth it haha
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

jonowong wrote:You'd have to cause more than $3000 worth of damage to the fto in one year for the full comprehensive to be worth it haha
And sublime can show you how :twisted:
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

FTO338 wrote:
jonowong wrote:You'd have to cause more than $3000 worth of damage to the fto in one year for the full comprehensive to be worth it haha
And sublime can show you how :twisted:
"Say hello to my little friend"

*waves around baseball bat* :mrgreen:
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Hobbsie wrote:shannons will insure under 25s if you can prove that you are a car enthusiast.. i.e. member of car clubs, take your car to the track, etc.

but yeah.. your lookin at 2 grand plus for compo with anyone.. either just get CTP or don't buy an import really..
just on this.. shannons insure under 25s, but they dont insure u if u've had your car for less than 1 year.. they told me i dont have enuf experience with a high performance vehicle :?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.