JDM Civic Type R

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

JDM Civic Type R

Post by FTO338 »

I've just watch the Aug Best Motoring and they were comparing MY07 STI Spec C, EVO 9 MR, MY07 STI Type RA-R, 350z Nismo Edition, JDM Civic Type R and NSX type R.

What suprise me is the JDM Civic Type R beat 350z Nismo Edition down the quater by almost 1/2 sec and less then 1sec behind from MY07 STI Spec C and EVO 9 MR on a track.

Here's the best lap result after 5 laps on the track

NSX Type R 1'06'132
STI Type RA-R 1'06'405
STI Spec C 1'07'350
EVO9 MR 1'07'655
JDM Civic Type R 1'07'947
350z Nismo Edition 1'08'003

Why Oz always get the 2nd rated Type R? Even Motor/Wheels mag had rated the JDM Civic Type R is the fastest N/A FF they every driven. I guess the Euro spec is better then nothing :roll:

Last edited by FTO338 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Re: JDM Civic Type R

Post by BorepYano »

FTO338 wrote:...Why Oz always get the 2nd rated Type R?...
because the ones that do end up here will just end up being written off by daddy's boys anyway, lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

And for those who are interested what FTO best result was on the same track.

GPvR Manual 1'11'56
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

had a track night at barbagello on thursday and there was the brand new Civic Type R there (aus version/hatch)... and it had 17's or 18's black with a red rim outline, and lightweight matching red wheel nuts. it looked good, matched the car like it was an optional extra. anyway he got a 1:03 on the short track as his best... which was pretty good for street tyres... but i dunno if that was as fast as it could go, some people let the instructors drive them and some dont so you dont know whos time is on the board.

By the end of the night i got a 1:02-flat on my dunlops 205/55/16's :x which is slightly better but i also didnt let the instructor drive.. 8) and then my car has an lsd and some upgraded power so it wasnt really a fair match.

he would have almost certainly been faster on turn in because of his tyres but i woulda been a bit faster on the straight and exiting tight corners like the hairpin

cant imagine a standard version r would have been much slower than me...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

that is pretty f**king fast if its only 0.3seconds behind the evo! that could all come down to driver error, so whats needed to make a fto get those kind of times! considering there is about a 20k price difference!
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

There is a Black civic type R where I live but it don't look anything like the one in those pics, it looks more like a accord euro but in a 3 door hatch.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Yeah bnigpitty1. That is what everyone is saying. We get the Euro Type R which is based on the hatch and made in the UK.

The Jap type R is the sedan pictured above, from what I understand they don't have a hatch over there, just the sedan. Which we don't get.

BUt :o That is quick. Was the track Tsukuba? (Spelling?)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

RallyMad wrote: That is quick. Was the track Tsukuba? (Spelling?)
Yep its Tsukuba, aka "Best Motoring" track.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

I've seen at least 1 Civic Type R around here.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

AJ wrote:I've seen at least 1 Civic Type R around here.
I've seen a few of them lately, mostly around cabra.

Drove beside one this morning.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Mhmm seen the sedan version awhile ago...makes me happy in pants...Definitely would buy one if they ever offered it here.

Yeah seen a few hatch ctr's recently. They look not bad. Anyone read the BFYB article in latest Motor mag ? The ctr featured in the test and rated last in it's category. It's times weren't too great =/
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Yeah but that is only because every other car in it's class is turbo. Bloody crazy Mazda 3 MPS included. Mind you, you'd have to be concerned when a glorified Camry (Aurion sportivo) beat it on power to weight?! 8O

Mind you at those power figures I'd say all our cars could scare it, similar power to an FTO and carrying 1345kg. My car is 300 odd kg lighter than that.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

RallyMad wrote:Yeah but that is only because every other car in it's class is turbo. Bloody crazy Mazda 3 MPS included. Mind you, you'd have to be concerned when a glorified Camry (Aurion sportivo) beat it on power to weight?! 8O

Mind you at those power figures I'd say all our cars could scare it, similar power to an FTO and carrying 1345kg. My car is 300 odd kg lighter than that.
Mind reader! Exactly. It may have a pretty nice engine but there's no hiding the fact that it doesn't have FI torque and lumping around almost 1400kgs. It's 0-100 and rolling acceleration times certainly showed that.

A lightly tuned manual fto should be able to scare a stock mps even, i think anyways ? :P
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

[quote=
A lightly tuned manual fto should be able to scare a stock mps even, i think anyways ? :P[/quote]

Id be very very surprised.......

they are low 6's to 100 and rolling start hammer...
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

EURO wrote: Id be very very surprised.......

they are low 6's to 100 and rolling start hammer...
Notice the "i think anyways" part on my end :P

But yeah, i was going by the times in the motor bfyb review. They got 6.9 to 100 which a light/moderate tune manual fto can beat easily. Master launching an fto with sticky tyres and you can hit 6 flat. I posted some videos of this awhile ago. The main thing is weight here and i believe our gearing is friendlier as we're not FI.

But hey...lightly tune almost any turbo car and they really really fly.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Delvance wrote:Master launching an fto with sticky tyres and you can hit 6 flat. I posted some videos of this awhile ago. The main thing is weight here and i believe our gearing is friendlier as we're not FI.
Is your time done on a drag strip or using one of those self timing device?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I think some of u live in a dream world.

THe JDM spec is kick arse....
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

is it possible to import these beauties??
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Brand new import ? Don't think so. Unless you live in japan and own of those sexy things for at least 1 yr, then you can apply for personal import or something.

Kev,
The 6 flat time was not me driving. It involves launching at 6.5k rpm...i've only tried that once and got a whole lot of wheelspin and i also feel sorry for my tranny...i've got two vids of two different drivers and fto's doing a 6.
My best time is 6.4 with a self timing device. Not super accurate but yeah. I've let my friends use it too and it goes (out of the faster cars)
Vx ss commo auto 5.6 (light tune)
Wrx wagon bugeye 6.14 (stockish)
Polo gti 7.4 (dead stock)

Good for a shirt sleeve comparison anyways. The times seem reasonable imho. Not here to argue the validity of the timer or times though (been down there), just offering for the sake of it.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well if the standard JDM Civic Type R not fast enough for you, you can always go for the extra 31kw Mugen RR version.