207GTi and DC5R, comments please?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Delvance
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Delvance »

oodles,

Second hand S2000 out of my reach unfortunately...if i'm to keep within my parents rule of newish car. Would be nice to have one though heh!

fto617,
Ay i know the 1/4 isn't much but i meant with that example was the tuning potential for the dc2r is very high. Just as high as dc5r if not better. Plus it'll most likely become a classic one day.

Another idea over the dc5r is an 04 (only 04, had minor changes in this year model) EP3 civic type r. 158kw of k20a fury and around the same price of a dc5r. Has 6 speed box with lsd of course and i'm sure you'll find plenty of tuning potential in terms of JDM equipment.

Anyways peeps...seems the dealership is having me on. They didn't even call back when i called today :evil:

Going to another dealership on monday to look at an 06 Mazda 3 MPS sports pack. If it looks good, going to get it on the spot. Will let you peeps know. Hopefully it's alright...sick of this already.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Delvance wrote:If you're looking for a stripped out race teggy...why not the dc2r ? Less work to be done, and the aftermarket bits are better for b18c7 i think ? A few Honda boys get their dc2r over the quarter in 13s and 12s in n/a form without too much work.
All the B series Honda engine heat up very quickly, so its not ideal if you want to use it for a long track day. I've seen someone "cooked" their DC2R on a track before.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

having been on a few Mazda performance track days and one through mazda this month I have driven their mx5, rx8 and MPS range on the track for a few hours...the MPS 3 is crap and totally not worth it.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

khunjeng wrote:...the MPS 3 is crap and totally not worth it.
Whats the reason?

A suprise good track car is the Renault Mégane R26, it out corner and out run the latest WRX on a track.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Yeah some of the recent offerings by Renault are nice but then we fall back to the french engineering angle...*sigh*

Khunjeng, i know it's not an ideal track car but as a suburban car with pep ? Is it ok ? I mean...i spent so long and lotsa money (for a uni student) on prepping the fto for track and just as it was ready, i gotta trade the thing in bah! The standard equipment on it is decent...i'll be getting the sports pack with the bose sound system for decent tunes.

Still...might hit up a speed off the street day once in awhile...play with the straight line grunt lol... =/
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FTO338 wrote:
khunjeng wrote:...the MPS 3 is crap and totally not worth it.
Whats the reason?

A suprise good track car is the Renault Mégane R26, it out corner and out run the latest WRX on a track.
reason it felt slow slow dispite their claims and felt like a boat..the track aspect was not relevant, its the fact I got to drive it at speed for some time and check out how its goes, the Mx5 and rx8 were much better to drive I thought.

My mate was with me and we took turns in the MPS 3 and was also disapointed with the MPS in both the 3 and 6 form.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Thanks for the help all =). And thanks for the feedback Chris and Kev.

I ended up going to test drive an mps3 today and really liked it. Negotiated and took delivery same day. FTO is now gone, traded in. I can see where Khunjeng is coming from about it's feel and stuffs. But hey, nothing a catback, intake and coilovers won't fix :P (and maybe better top mount and piggyback haha).

Btw, this thing's a torque slut...if you have dsc off...1st and 2nd will change lanes for you literally if you're not alert. Then 3rd just pulls oohh so nicely. Funny thing is...due to fwd traction, 1st and 2nd doesn't have much on my modded FTO but 3rd the fto has no chance. Handling from factory is slightly higher than my fto when it had stock shocks and lowered springs but nowhere near a coilovered fto.

That's it from me at the moment!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well you always going to have traction problem with any FWD that have decent power.

The standard tyres aren't bad, but i'm sure you can get better one to help get more traction.

Start a new thread at the "other cars" section and post some pics. And of course when you put on all the goodies too.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

problem with FWD is ....when u have too much power atw, it will become unusable....thinking wheelspin??? and torque steer!
dude...why didnt u get an evo!!!
past ride : FTO gpx with lots of bling bling
Current ride: EVO 8 with the MOST CARBON IN AUSTRALIA....206KW AT ALL WHEELS
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Wheelspin...torquesteer ? Sounds like the MPS3...

But that's also the charm of the car...it's funny how Mazda decided to feed 190kw through the front wheels and fun to drive! I would've got an evo but they were out of my price range. The ones that were...well, i wanted new car warranty as well and so did my parents (especially after what happened with my fto).

After a nice drive tonight in cool air...it's pretty damn fast, considering it's FWD. It's got a a small/medium bit over my fto when modded in 1st and 2nd. Needs a wheel alignment bad...gonna check tomorrow if the two recalls were done on it too (couple of engine mount bolts).

I'll be looking at better tires when these are gone, but yeah Kev...these tires are pretty good. From a lot of tests i 've seen, the re050 rate pretty high. I'll get some pics up when i clean her heh. Wonder when the weather will clear...
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

I thought MPS was 4 wheel drive? Or is that only the MPS6? What engines do they have? 2L turbo?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Delvance wrote: I'll be looking at better tires when these are gone, but yeah Kev...these tires are pretty good. From a lot of tests i 've seen, the re050 rate pretty high. I'll get some pics up when i clean her heh. Wonder when the weather will clear...
I'm running the same RE050 on my B200 Turbo, its also the standard tyres on the new Civic Type R. Thats how I know they good, but can be better.
AJ wrote:I thought MPS was 4 wheel drive? Or is that only the MPS6? What engines do they have? 2L turbo?
Its a 2.3L straight 4 turbo. Is a FWD only.

The MPS6 is the so called AWD, because its 90% FWD and rear wheel only comes on during detection of front wheel spin.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Lol the 6 mps is a heavy arsed thing. And man the rear end looks ugly...

Yeah not bad these re050...
Will most likely get a set of Bridgestone adrenalines when these are gone.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Delvance wrote:Lol the 6 mps is a heavy arsed thing. And man the rear end looks ugly...

Yeah not bad these re050...
Will most likely get a set of Bridgestone adrenalines when these are gone.
congrats on your purchase. It does go pretty good but not enough for me great daily though...should be faster than your FTO..might be nice to have some softer suspension on the road anyhow!

now you have a turbo get get her flowing, zorst dump pipe is a must. Pop over to http://www.ozmazdaclub.com they have lots of good info. Best of all yuo shuold be able to get a good selection of Aftermarket parts.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

wow delvance...did your FTO make 163KW ATW???? :?
thats damn a lot of power.....

my evo stock was making 168kw atw stock on 19psi
now 238kw at 22psi with a few mods
past ride : FTO gpx with lots of bling bling
Current ride: EVO 8 with the MOST CARBON IN AUSTRALIA....206KW AT ALL WHEELS
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Thanks KJ :)
Yeah you're right, it's a huge change from a jap tein coilovered fto to the 3 lol. So comfy and compliant aahh. Mods will come eventually! For now, i'm enjoying her stock. Possibly looking at intake only for the turbo noises haha. I've been reading up at ozmazdaclub.com yup, some interesting articles there. From some of the threads on there, seems the 3 is definitely an interesting car, with an already decent and still growing aftermarket support.

fto617,
Lol nah, my fto didn't make 163kw atw, i wish haha. The final figure was 116 with a power curve that was drawn with a ruler :D . My final aim was for 130kw atw or so but i kinda broke the chassis... =/
The 163 kw atw is from an mps3 run hehe (before the top mount soaks the engine heat haha).