Importing Unique Cars

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nacho
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Importing Unique Cars

Post by Nacho »

If you wanna bring in a car that you know would be a first in Aus......anyone know the process? How exactly do you get someone to be eligible to compliance a very unique vehicle?

Thoughts?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Re: Importing Unique Cars

Post by bass_twitch »

Nacho wrote:If you wanna bring in a car that you know would be a first in Aus......anyone know the process? How exactly do you get someone to be eligible to compliance a very unique vehicle?

Thoughts?
Gotta smash one. :lol:
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

So the rumour is true then......you actually have to buy 2 of the car?
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Nacho wrote:So the rumour is true then......you actually have to buy 2 of the car?
I think so,
I'm no expert though.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

No, but you have to find a shop that is willing to sign off on the work done.

i.e. say it is legal and complies to our required Australian Standards as of 2002. *atleast I think that was the last update* Exceptions to this rule as due in part with vehicle manufacture date where things such as driving side do not have to be changed, rear facing light requirements, etc.

All depends on the car.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Astron_Boy wrote:No, but you have to find a shop that is willing to sign off on the work done.

i.e. say it is legal and complies to our required Australian Standards as of 2002. *atleast I think that was the last update* Exceptions to this rule as due in part with vehicle manufacture date where things such as driving side do not have to be changed, rear facing light requirements, etc.

All depends on the car.
Noble M15.......pretty unique......and born in the UK. Surely we share very similar standards here compared to the UK.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nacho wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote:No, but you have to find a shop that is willing to sign off on the work done.

All depends on the car.
Noble M15.......pretty unique......and born in the UK. Surely we share very similar standards here compared to the UK.
Looks awesome!

I assume it would be similar to special registrations such as hot rods etc. or personally made custom cars that you see on the road every now and then, only plus the importing bit, would it not?

Some things for compliance may have to be added (e.g. how the FTO must have bars put into the doors I believe?) to get it legal but I would think its possible.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Daniel2019 wrote:
Nacho wrote:

All depends on the car.
Looks awesome!

I assume it would be similar to special registrations such as hot rods etc. or personally made custom cars that you see on the road every now and then, only plus the importing bit, would it not?

Some things for compliance may have to be added (e.g. how the FTO must have bars put into the doors I believe?) to get it legal but I would think its possible.
Found out interestingly enough that rumor on the FTO side intrusion bars is false.
They were fitted at factory!

Meanwhile Nacho, wouldn't know personally as I don't deal with it, but know a lot of people who have imported the odd random car.

Dan does have a bit of a correct answer, things like side intrusion bars are a must, given it is UK, they aren't THAT far from us, in fact they have a lot more stringent laws than us, so you may have luck.

Off the top of my head as going against the avg import. Headlights *HID compliance if equipped* side intrusion bars. seat belts.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
Nacho wrote:

All depends on the car.
Looks awesome!

Found out interestingly enough that rumor on the FTO side intrusion bars is false.
They were fitted at factory!

Meanwhile Nacho, wouldn't know personally as I don't deal with it, but know a lot of people who have imported the odd random car.

Dan does have a bit of a correct answer, things like side intrusion bars are a must, given it is UK, they aren't THAT far from us, in fact they have a lot more stringent laws than us, so you may have luck.

Off the top of my head as going against the avg import. Headlights *HID compliance if equipped* side intrusion bars. seat belts.
As I said, would it not follow similar rules such as the one off custom cars that you see on the roads? Surely if you go through the correct channels it can be done :scratch:

That car looks much safer than some of the stuff I see one the road every now and then.. such as cars with no doors etc?

EDIT - isnt there also something to do with child restraints as well?
I fix cars.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Daniel2019 wrote:EDIT - isnt there also something to do with child restraints as well?
Not anymore.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:EDIT - isnt there also something to do with child restraints as well?
Not anymore.
Good to know, I took mine out :D Weight reduction! :cheers:
I fix cars.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Not anymore.
Yeah not since they got tighter on child s*x offenders :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose if you got enough cash you can pretty much bring anything in. But it sounds like a sh*tty scenario if you end up having to pay double the price of the vehicle at the end of it.

The compliance might be a tougher on this car coz out of the factory they are very much kit car-ish......similar to the Lotus Evora. Don't necessarily whether it got the safety rating/regulation treatment that other factory cars get.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Suprisingly you can pick up the Noble M15 second hand at a price slightly cheaper than the cost of a second hand GTR.....but that's when all the compliance crap hits you I guess.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I quite like the Nobles! Bit Ferrari-ish in style.

From memory, in order to bring one to Aus & road register it, you need to have owned it overseas for at least 12 months.

Then when you ship it here, you have to find someone with RAWS accreditation to comply it. Finding someone that does that particular model might be difficult... are there any other M15s on the road here?
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »