Changing Clutch kit

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shadowarrior
Tightarse
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Changing Clutch kit

Post by shadowarrior »

Does it take 6 hrs+ labour to change a clutch kit on a Pajero IO (4G93 1.8 4cyl SOHC)?
Was quoted $850 including the Exedy clutch kit for the car :\
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Changing Clutch kit

Post by adzski »

i paid like $750 (including exedy clutch) to get it put into my fto
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

$850 which is including price of clutch kit is pretty good!
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

All depends on how much of a bitch it is, but i would say 6 hours (while they can probably do it in about 4) is still a pretty fair charge, and if that 850 includes the clutch then you're not going to get much cheaper than that.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Okay. Thanks guys. The clutch kit costs $200 (Exedy) so the rest of the $650 is going towards labour.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Doesnt take 6 hours to do a clutch.

With a vehicle hoist and all the other equipment they have, it shouldnt take them much more than 3 or 4. Bitch of a job but shouldnt take any longer than that.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

hmmm :\

well..I have my driving test booked for Monday... and the clutch goes out this morning :\ Looks like I will be taking the test on my FTO now, just need to figure out how to open the dash board and take out the engine warning bulb. :|
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

USUALLY it doesnt take 6 hours to do a clutch, but in saying that, those extra 2 hours are charged for the sheer c**t factor of the job, and because quite often things dont go to plan. If they come across a stripped bolt or something theyve already quoted you 850, they have to cop it. Judging off what a usual clutch change comes to, anything under 900 is a pretty good price considering
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Quick question. to take off the dash bulbs in the fto...need to open those two screws.... anything else?
Can't seem to find a DIY on this.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

It is those two screws on the top to remove the dial surround. Then there are another four screws on the corners of the cluster (you will see them when you remove the surround).

Then the whole cluster just pulls out. It can be a bit fiddly to pull out.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Thanks Vectose.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Engine warning light off, stock air filter and box in, my fto is all 100% legal now :P
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Daniel2019 wrote:Doesnt take 6 hours to do a clutch.

With a vehicle hoist and all the other equipment they have, it shouldnt take them much more than 3 or 4. Bitch of a job but shouldnt take any longer than that.
Have you changed one before? 3 hours? Joking! So if a mechanic was fast, have it done in 2 maybe?

If I started on a clutch in the morning and finished it as lunch I would be jumping for joy.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Agreed. Takes me 3 hours just to get the box out, 3.5 to get it back in.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

payaya wrote:

Have you changed one before? 3 hours? Joking! So if a mechanic was fast, have it done in 2 maybe?

If I started on a clutch in the morning and finished it as lunch I would be jumping for joy.
Not me personally, ive helped get several gearboxes in and out though. When we did them when I was doing my apprenticeship, they'd start ripping the gearbox out at say 9am and id be called over a couple hours later to help get it back in. Given this was with hoists and all that kinda stuff Ben. It never took us anywhere close to 3.5 hours to get it back in, but we did have the cars on hoists and use a gearbox cradle jack type thing to get it back up.
I fix cars.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Daniel2019 wrote:
payaya wrote:

Not me personally, ive helped get several gearboxes in and out though. When we did them when I was doing my apprenticeship, they'd start ripping the gearbox out at say 9am and id be called over a couple hours later to help get it back in. Given this was with hoists and all that kinda stuff Ben. It never took us anywhere close to 3.5 hours to get it back in, but we did have the cars on hoists and use a gearbox cradle jack type thing to get it back up.
What kind of vehicles were you working on though? FWD gearboxes are MUCH more difficult than RWD, and 4wd boxes (like I'm used to playing with) are a pain in the ass because theres two driveshafts, and they're heavy as d!cks. We usually take 2.5hrs to get a gearbox out on the 4 post hoists at work. Then theres getting the flywheel sent away to be machined (necessary for clutch warranties), the hoist down-time while the vehicle is stuck there, etc, etc. It all adds up, to the point where 6hrs labor charge is pretty much normal.
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Yeah, got it fixed couple of days back and he explained the extra time it takes on the 4wd cars and machining the flywheel incurs the high labour cost. Luckily, the problem was not with the clutch though, turned out it was something with the hydraulics. He changed the cylinders and did a complete flush of the fluids. Also completely flushed brake fluids as bonus, charged me $470.

Odd, to someone who doesn't have enough mechanical knowledge it felt like the clutch was gone. I should stay far away from diagnosing cars. :|
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

And the times I'm mentioning is from the moment I drive the car into the garage, to the time I drive it out, shafts in, linkages all joined back up, wheel on, off the jack stands etc. Not just box on & off, I'm talking about the complete job.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Point. I guess I can see where 6 hours is coming from now. @Fraz - I honestly dont know, I didnt pay much attention. I'd basically be in the middle of a service or helping out the other bloke with something, get called over to help life the gearbox and once its in continue on with what I was doing.

For places with a bunch of equipment and experience, 6 hours still seems a little high to me, but I guess I can understand why.
I fix cars.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Bennoz wrote:And the times I'm mentioning is from the moment I drive the car into the garage, to the time I drive it out, shafts in, linkages all joined back up, wheel on, off the jack stands etc. Not just box on & off, I'm talking about the complete job.
When are you moving to QLD. lol.