The Daily

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

The Daily

Post by Technikhaus »

As some would have seen, I have recently picked up a new Daily, as I'd like to be able to work on the FTO a little more, and also it'll be a lot cheaper to run.

Picked the up for $100, the seller said that it had a blown head gasket and a dead alternator, so we towed it home and had a look.

Worked out the head gasket was fine, and it just had a water leak from a snapped stud holding the thermostat in :lol:
Alternator was also fine, just the battery was died, put it on a smart charger and it's also fine.
It did need two new CVs though, a few bulbs, steering boot, and some rust fixed, and it should hopefully be getting a WoF tomorrow :)

It has a 1.3L EFI engine, matched to a 5 Speed manual, surprisingly quick for what it is!

Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Re: The Daily

Post by FTOwnage »

Nice :D

Update your sig
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Cheers, and updated :)

It's not a bad wee thing, surprisingly tidy for a $100 car!

Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

That's such an irony. Usually the car salespeople try to convince you everything is fine when it's full of problems, but this time it was the opposite. :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Got a WoF today! :D
A friend took it in for me today, they nearly failed it on our cheap repair of the windscreen, but he talked them into passing it.
Although on the way home the alternator cut out and then it started overheating.
So we purchased some coolant flush, a new rad cap, a new thermostat, spark plugs, and leads.
Flushed the system, and the heater core was completely blocked, but we cleaned it out, and put the flush through. the heater works a lot better now.

The alternator is being silly, working on and off, so we'll grab one from pull & pay and swap them out, then probably get the old one rebuilt.

Shall see though, at least it's legal now!
Rego is dropping $40 a year from tomorrow onwards, bringing it down to about $200 a year, so I'm waiting until then and I'll throw some more onto the FTO, and some onto the Starlet.
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nice man!
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Cheers!
Ripped the alternator out this evening, pulled it apart, cleaned it then threw it back in again.
All in under an hour, love these simple cars :tongue:
Seems to be working better now :)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

$200 for a year rego??? Book me a flight to NZ!
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

The fto is only like $330 for a year rego in NSW ;o... Rego is expensive, but $200 still seems a bit much compared to most places anyways, that and insurance :|...
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Try >$700 in Victoria. :evil:
LED ALL the things.
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

Try $50 in Texas... >.> Want insurance? $700 liability insurance for under 25s... oh yeah green slip equivalent is included in that already :|...
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Forgot to update this.
6 months ago I picked up a NZ New 1992 Legacy 2.2L AWD, and about 4 months ago I sold the starlet for $800.

Found this on Facebook for $1600 in Timaru, which is 2.5 hours or so away from me, went on an impulse drive on a Thursday night to go take a look.
Took it for a drive and all was good so purchased it. On the way home we found an 'issue' very quickly, lots and lots of oil leaks :p

That following Thursday we replaced the rocker cover gaskets, which was cheap, about $30 from the dealer. Then the next day found that it was still leaking, and thought it was most likely the rear main, so went to Ripco and grabbed one for $70, and pulled the engine that weekend to replace it.
On the saturday I went to someone's place to grab a WRX shifter and saw he had a gearbox and rear differential with LSD from a WRX, so decided to grab that too for $300.
Wend to put that in and realised I'd need to change to a hydraulic clutch, so grabbed one of those off of Facebook for $40.
Nearly done with the install and we realised we'd need the flywheel and clutch to match, as well as the fork, so found all that on facebook and grabbed them for $50.

Got it all installed that weekend though, which is something that wouldn't happen with an FTO, was great having so many people locally with parts, and you've got to love Subaru's and their Lego system.

At an AutoX with the new Gearbox and LSD:

Pulled up to the Fire Brigade a week or so later, and noticed a lot of smoke from under the bonnet when I shut of the engine, popped the bonnet to find oil all over the road under the car, then looked behind it to find a stream of oil from the intersection to where I parked the car. My first thought was that the rear main had popped out, as after installation we realised we had tapped it too far back, and potentially blocked the drain holes behind it. Got a friend to tow me home after cleaning up the oil mess, and decided to pull the engine the next day (Friday).
Once we got the engine out, we immediately found the issue, the sump plug fell out....
Since we had it out we decided to replace the rear main again, so we grabbed a genuine Rear Main this time for $40 from Subaru, should have done that the first time. The last time we also noticed that the crank was quite badly scored from the previous owner's replacement (could tell it had been replaced as it was also a Repco one) so we had already ordered a sleeve for it from America. We threw the sleeve on, and put the new Rear Main in, and bolted it all back together

Oil slick...

After a few club events I found the factory seats didn't hold very well, and you'd have to prop yourself against the center console and door to keep in your seat, so I found some V3 WRX seats for $140 and threw them in, thankfully they bolt right up to the factory mounts, so that was an easy install.
Also sourced some BF Legacy RS wheels ($150 inc tyre) to replace the steelies that the car came on, which improved the look of the car a lot.

The ever practical BC (with new wheels)

Had taken it to a few Club events after this, and we found that it was still leaking (and smoking) from somewhere, and while at an AutoX we rolled it onto someone's trailer while it was still hot and found that it was leaking gearbox oil from the output shaft of the Gearbox, so the next weekend that was sorted with another genuine seal ($30) and back together and all seemed well!

It can even do jumps! (pretty sure this killed the strut...)

Finally nearly up to date...
Took it for a Warrant of Fitness test a couple of weeks back, and I failed on a leaking rear shock.. .So what do you do in this situation? Replace just the ones? Nah, I sourced some Genuine Version 8 WRX STI shocks, that came with some 'Super Low' springs, and threw them on. Thankfully it isn't actually that low, so it still sits nicely, but it's a much nicer ride now, much less body roll, and handles corners like a dream compared to the original suspension.

Doesn't sit too low!

TLDR: New car, leaked a lot, but does jumps
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Scoob 8)
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Forgot to add:

We headed down south on a Friday a month ago to help out at a hill climb on the Saturday, and participate in the AutoX on the Sunday.

As we pulled into a mates place on the Friday night, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor, first thought was the salve had went, so we organised to get one off of someone at the Hill climb the next day.
On the saturday we pull out my slave and realised we had a bigger problem than we'd thought, and the clutch fork pivot had broken loose. So that night we drove home (3 hours) and pulled the engine, and sure enough the pivot had backed out then pushed out and broken the casting that it sits in.

Thankfully my friend had a brand new clutch and machined flywheel, so we threw those in and made up a dodgy fix for the pivot, and put the engine back in, all finished by midnight, so the next day we went back down south first thing in the morning.
Half way there, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor again, this time it was just a badly bled hydraulic system, so we just kept going, participated in the AutoX with no clutch pedal then went home and found another whole hydraulic system and put that in :)

Has been good since then!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

So, looks like the red legacy has run a bearing.
So I did the only smart thing, bought another!

This time it's a 1991 RS-RA, yet to dyno, but should be around 220WHP

Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Is the guy in the background doing the little' dingaling thing? :lol:
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

hahaha, probably :p
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

So a little has happened to the RA, I put a Link G4+ ECU in it, and raced it at a few hill climbs etc, went quite well and had some fun.

I then decided that this was too rare to do this to so went back to racing the GX.

So then I went mad again, and purchased another Legacy, this time a deregistered 1989 RS for $1000.
The plan is to get it back up to a roadworthy state and all legal so I can use it on hill climbs.
New one is the one in the middle:

The plan is to move the turbo and ECU from the RA into this, and restore the RA back to stock.
At least that's the plan...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

So I bought another legacy again....

Sold the RA, and using the 'new' RS I bought in the previous post as a donor for this one, another 89 RS, just this one is an actual Rally car.

Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Lol, over two years since I posted in this thread...

Well, since then, both white legacys and the red legacy have been sold, and I just have the Rally car left out of those.
Still have the FTO of course.
And now also have a Falcon, because practical.

A year or so ago my mates and I got sick of working out of small garages, so between the 4 of us we've been renting this 200sqm workshop in an industrial estate, which has been super handy.
Been buying lots of second hand equipment for it, such as the hoist etc for $500 :lol:

And I picked up this as a project, sitting for 15 years, Manual Turbo Hard top MR2 with a seized motor, and included a replacement motor etc:

Oh, did I mention the MR2 was $500 :lol:
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia