Only one series of car left in Australia?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Only one series of car left in Australia?

Post by FTO338 »

I don't know if anyone else notice, but for the past 4mths if not 5, all the Wheels and Motor Magazine had been covering or featuring is the dam VE commodore series.

From the entry level of Omega to the top of the line HSV range. Each model had been cover to the fine "toothpick" details. And its usually takes 3/4 of the magazine.

What’s worst, Wheels had just bring out a "collection edition" of VE series, which dedicated the whole magazine on it and if you flip through it, it’s basically the same bloody article they been printing in all the other "normal" issues. :roll:

I admit, the VE is pretty good for its price and probably the best Aussie car till date, but the world isn't revolve around just one dam car series.

What happen to the Paris Motor show, all the latest concept cars and surely there are other new models from other brand had just release or about to launch. No one really bother to cover them properly because of this dam VE.

I'll be sending this to the editor of both magazines. :evil:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

yeah i dont get it either TBH

Its like Motor Magazines company car is a commodore and is going to be replaced with the new VE so everyone is getting really excited, or something

...cant be that good a car

also there's been undercover shots of plenty of new cars going around but they dont include any of them in their mags, eg. the new lancer, but i guess the lancer isnt borring enough ;) or australian enough... :x
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

I never bought those magazine because of the obvious lack of japanese cars.
Only ever saw Aussie or european cars which I found was a bit biased..
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

well, it makes good marketing sense to do what they did.

the ppl that normally buy these magazines will buy them religiously anyway, even though it may piss them off when the whole thing is dedicated to the VE, but they'll still buy the next few issues (each time thinking that it cant be all about the VE this time surely).

mean while it will attract the part of the market that lives by "holden or ford, nothing else", ford fans will buy this to try to find whats wrong with the VE and rip it, and the holden fans will buy it because its holden's next big thing.

effectively these magazines just managed to penertrate the whole market (of course not taking into consideration of ppl like me that just dont buy auto mags).

when the VE crazy is over, these magazines will probably have grabbed quite a few more ritual buyers (from the ford/holden nothing else bunch), and the original buys would still be there, although a little pissed off but they'll soon forget.

well, thats why i think this is happening anyway. :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

its the same thing all the time...

wheels, drive (in the age) and cars guide (in the sun) all they report on is fords and holdens -

i cant believe the latest wheels... they had a special edition magazine just devoted to the holden (and it was big) and then the normal wheels mag had a bout half of it devoted to the holden... y did it need to be in both!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

BorepYano wrote: the ppl that normally buy these magazines will buy them religiously anyway, even though it may piss them off when the whole thing is dedicated to the VE, but they'll still buy the next few issues (each time thinking that it cant be all about the VE this time surely).
Before I was a subscriber to Wheels and Motor, I just pick which ever one that has enough interesting article or a car that I really want to read on. But now I’ve got no choice but getting the same crap month after month in my mail box..:evil:

Before the VE came along, there was enough international cars to made them interesting. Now is like Holden Mag 1 and 2. If their excuse was VE is a clean sheet of Aussie car, then why don't I see them do it on the new Mitsubishi 380 series or the Ford BA series with it was launch. :roll:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Is it possible that maybe Holden paid the editor a sh*t load of money to print those articles?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

BorepYano wrote:
when the VE crazy is over, these magazines will probably have grabbed quite a few more ritual buyers (from the ford/holden nothing else bunch), and the original buys would still be there, although a little pissed off but they'll soon forget.
I think it'd put off more people from buying it, if not so much being sick of seeing the same thing over and over, it'd be from the attitude of the publishers of being so biased.. and this was the reason why I stopped buying Motor mag as have a few of my friends.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Is it possible that maybe Holden paid the editor a sh*t load of money to print those articles?
Nah nacho is right some1 is makin this happen its all political baby and damm f&*ken annoying to
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

sublime19 wrote:
BorepYano wrote:
I think it'd put off more people from buying it, if not so much being sick of seeing the same thing over and over, it'd be from the attitude of the publishers of being so biased.. and this was the reason why I stopped buying Motor mag as have a few of my friends.
but if it was just for the VE reason then u'll probably go back to buying them a few week (not talking about u, but just in general :)).. so in the bigger picture (especially taking into consideration the $$ they would've been paid for doing the artical by holden) it'll be worth it... i think anyway. :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

You should see the HSV range, they got the VXR which is an astra turbo with a HSV bagde and some big wheels, we got one off the truch today, looks pretty good, they go but once on boost there is a lot of torque steer, 6 spd manual but not sure how much power it makes.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

bigpitty1 wrote:You should see the HSV range, they got the VXR which is an astra turbo with a HSV bagde and some big wheels, we got one off the truch today, looks pretty good, they go but once on boost there is a lot of torque steer, 6 spd manual but not sure how much power it makes.
there have been a sh*t load of articles about these....they are quite good from the reviews I have read.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah but i doubt it will be better value then the Mazda 3 MPS. The normal Astra turbo is only $5k less then the MPS, but have less features and grunt then the MPS. Its also a 1 full second slower then the MZD 3 MPS

Knowing your tipical HSV price allocation, it should be around $10k more then the Astra turbo, which put it $5k more then the MPS, but only around 0.3 sec faster. Plus Mazda had spend a lots of time and effort to dial out the torque steering, which according to the Motor mag, they done a great job of it.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

On a seperate note.. I was reading about the new S3 coming out next year, 195kw! but because australia is a "hotter country" it's only 188kw i dunno how this makes sense.. and the new bentleigh.. 485kw 8O
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

You are comparing 2 different type of range of cars, with totally different type of engine and layout.

It does make sense, they detune it, so it won't cause "pinging" during summer.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

sublime19 wrote:On a seperate note.. I was reading about the new S3 coming out next year, 195kw! but because australia is a "hotter country" it's only 188kw i dunno how this makes sense.. and the new bentleigh.. 485kw 8O
I have seen a older model s4 with 280kw ...190 stock is good...u are sure to take it to 250 easily...
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

khunjeng wrote:
I have seen a older model s4 with 280kw ...190 stock is good...u are sure to take it to 250 easily...
damn.. 280 on a s4??? 8O :twisted:

And it falls into the category of cars that are made to be tuned.. (not to as much of an extent as others).. where you need to spend half the money and get double the power than you would doing up an FTO :?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well actually tuning euro cars aren't cheap either..... :?
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

FTO338 wrote:Well actually tuning euro cars aren't cheap either..... :?
Unless you're in Europe.... :lol:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

the S4 I saw I raced actaully. The guy owns a team in the carerra cup...he said he had spent quite a bit on it getting it to that level...in the end he wasn't that much faster so for the money...I wasn't thath impressed.

but it was good and stock looking.