HID legal in NSW?

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dr390
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: HID legal in NSW?

Post by dr390 »

gpx000 wrote:to be honest they look good like white light so about 6000K but its a b*tch driving in heavy rain i hated it haha so i wouldnt get them if i was you
second that i got 8000k on mine it makes it look a little bit fancier :lol:
Tell me when i stop

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Xeno
Grease Monkey

Post by Xeno »

Now let's just say I got 6000k hids

That's means I've got yellow Parker's

What are the laws on Parker, What colour or type could I get them? :)
gpx000
Mechanic

Post by gpx000 »

haha bro i dont think cops care, they will only pull you over if youre being a hoon or if your car screams look at me. but other than that just change it. ive put 8000k and changed my parkers to white light and im pretty sure others have done that here haha, just dont be an idiot on the road and youll have no problems :)

im just telling you, itll be hard to drive in heavy rain
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

white or halogen clear only for parkers.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

SA laws states that Factory HID or Xenon headlights are legal provided they have auto-levelling and all safety features for that device.

In SA it is illegal to fit non-factory ballast kits to any on-road vehicles.

Standard headlight brightness according to ADR standards is 4000K maximum, which is a white light slightly coming into blue. It is the standard light fittings over 4000K that are illegal whether they came stock or not. However it does not state HID brightness as far as I could find out.

At the end of the day, ring your states transport department, because if it is illegal, you face a defect or even fine and as said above your insurance company will reject any insurance claims if it is found you have been in an accident that lists the illegal headlights as the cause of the accident (e.g. blinding other driver). Or if the insurance company is looking for a reason not to pay out then you may have just given them one..
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

kiz wrote:SA laws states that Factory HID or Xenon headlights are legal provided they have auto-levelling and all safety features for that device.
Which is funny, because the FTO have neither auto levelling or spray washers (which some other states require)
So, by law all HID in SA has to have factory HID removed, which is kind of moot. (for FTO and a few other early jap cars)
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Astron_Boy wrote:Which is funny, because the FTO have neither auto levelling or spray washers (which some other states require)
Well when my car was inspected by a Transport SA Safety Inspector he told me that the vehicle has auto-levelling on it?? :?. Mind you he did admit to never having ever seen an FTO before....

I swear they deliberately make the ADR and state traffic laws confusing so that they will always have a secure way of fining people and making revenue....
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

kiz wrote:I swear they deliberately make the ADR and state traffic laws confusing so that they will always have a secure way of fining people and making revenue....
No... that would be unlawful.

The government would never do anything to provide benefit to themselves at the expense of others.

But no, the FTO certainly does not have auto levelling. That is later technology which was not introduced until later in HIDs life.

Hence why some of the FTO with factory HID headlight units had the HID removed. I cant be exactly sure, but the first lot of FTO that had HID were let slide, the laters had them removed due to the factor of no extra 'safety' requirements they made mandatory for HID factory equipped AUS cars.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Astron_Boy wrote:No... that would be unlawful.

The government would never do anything to provide benefit to themselves at the expense of others.
Not meaning to sound ignorant, but why then have they not produced a manual that clearly states ALL defectable instruments, modifications and other vehicle additions? Whether this be an ADR manual or each state having there own. Instead of us having to either learn the hard way of getting defected and/or fined, or having to spend hours contacting different people who can't give you a 'clear' answer because they don't want to take legal responsibility for the information provided.

What it needs is a website dedicated to showing all relevant information accessable both to road users and to police officers, because there are so many police officers that have not received adequate training or are lacking the information to make informed and correct decisions at the time.

Also regarding "fineable offences", have you ever seen these all listed on the website, WITH the fineable amount, demerit points and other information.

I know I have seen neither of these and when I have asked about them from Transport SA, South Australian Police and the likes I am told "you don't not have any authorization to view this information"...

But back to the point at hand, my HIDs in my 98 GPVR weren't removed during compliancing both in NSW and SA and aren't defectable in SA apparantly, so I guess it leads to my second paragraph ;)

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

There are sites that give you all the info you are asking about, you just need to know where to look.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

aza013 wrote:There are sites that give you all the info you are asking about, you just need to know where to look.
Any sites in particular? Maybe it would be good for other people to know

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

The best thing to do is Google it as they change from state to state.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

The thing is also, that. they make that information so difficult to obtain on purpose.

Perhaps I'm sounding a little conspiracy theory here, but tell me honestly, could you ever ring a government department, ask someone a tricky, but required factual question and expect to get the exact answer you want without being told, "call this number instead", "write a letter to this place", or "it's on our unfathomable website".

The rules and laws of next to anything are wrapped up in such a stupidly complex and continually growing turd that attaining any such precise information is impossible.

I have recently had to deal with about 5 lawyers, the organisation for privacy, 3 state officials and many other politicians, just to get over 20 different versions of the one piece of "written fact" as it is nowhere to be found on any such document.
However, the courts can chose to see fit an answer determined on a case by case basis whether they like the look of the tie you chose to wear that day...

In the end, the entire system is fucked and you simply have to learn how to screw it back as well as you have to bend over and take it.

:lol:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Yep That about sums it up :lol: .
If I get some time tonight when I get home I will Dig up some websites.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

aza013 wrote: If I get some tonight when I get home
That's how I read that...
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

same here...lmao Gen Y minds are just gone...completely destroyed by cheap alcohol and $2 hookers
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Something to have a look at. It's not the one I was looking for so I am still trying to track it back down.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... i_dl1.html

Info for the SA members.

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A ... .50.UN.PDF

Fines and demerit points.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/pe ... index.html
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

lol, so many comments and the poor guy just wants to hear one thing.

If you put 6000k HIDs in your car and you get defected for it, I'll personally pay your fine. This is how confident I am that you'll almost (99.9999999%) never have problems.

Of course, it IS illegal, but then again, so is having 18 inch rims on your FTO (legally can only go 1 inch up/down from stock size).
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

sublime19 wrote:lol, so many comments and the poor guy just wants to hear one thing.

If you put 6000k HIDs in your car and you get defected for it, I'll personally pay your fine. This is how confident I am that you'll almost (99.9999999%) never have problems.

Of course, it IS illegal, but then again, so is having 18 inch rims on your FTO (legally can only go 1 inch up/down from stock size).
Quoted.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

sublime19 wrote:legally can only go 1 inch up/down from stock size
If you're gunno quote the law, at least get it right. You should have said legally can only go 1 inch up/down in total rolling diametre from the stock wheel/tyre size.

18s are quite legal with a 35 series tyre.