Putty Road run - tomorrow!

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Putty Road run - tomorrow!

Post by Bennoz »

Its the first time I've done the run, hard, since I had the motor transplant. I really had my hands full trying to weight & settle the car when corner switching left to right (and vice versa) so quickly. I could really feel the extra weight up front & had to compensate (time) much further in advance than usual. We had to stop half a dozen times while I adjusted the Teins, trying to find a good setting. Add to that the thumb snapping torque steer & balding rear tyres that were trying to beat the front round the corners, I was exhausted & dehydrated by days end!

There's no destination to it (apart from the Wollombi pub for lunch) its just the drive!
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

How much extra weight did the engine add?
To be honest I thought it would be similar, bar the light intercooler and piping, and the 2 small, tiny, itty bitty little turbos :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The turbos & piping dont weight sh*t, it's the diff, coil packs, oil catch can, oil cooler, clutch, chassis bracing, control arms & disc rotors that weigh up.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

How much heavier is the diff?

Did you put your car on the weigh bridge?
It really sucks how easy it is to pack on the kilos and how hard it is to get them out without stripping the car
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

I live 6km off the Putty Rd, at the sydney end.
Good run.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

spetz wrote:How much heavier is the diff?

Did you put your car on the weigh bridge?
It really sucks how easy it is to pack on the kilos and how hard it is to get them out without stripping the car
Twice as heavy as a standard diff. Bit like myself, I never weight anything lol.

First change after the swaybar will be the brake rotors. Solid Evo discs weight an absolute shitload.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Putty road was a shitload of fun last time I went. Though I realised that if you want to make the most of it, you'll need a good brake, tyre and suspension setup; even moreso than just raw power thanks to all the bends, dips and climbs. Thats mainly if you plan to push it a bit. The last time I went there was with the fto on our previous cruise and it was a nicely suited stretch of road to test the capabilities of the chassis.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

koolio1234 wrote:Putty road was a shitload of fun last time I went. Though I realised that if you want to make the most of it, you'll need a good brake, tyre and suspension setup; even moreso than just raw power thanks to all the bends, dips and climbs. Thats mainly if you plan to push it a bit. The last time I went there was with the fto on our previous cruise and it was a nicely suited stretch of road to test the capabilities of the chassis.
Are you giving this info to Ben are you? As I think he would have a good idea on this :lol: .
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

aza013 wrote:
koolio1234 wrote:Putty road was a shitload of fun last time I went. Though I realised that if you want to make the most of it, you'll need a good brake, tyre and suspension setup; even moreso than just raw power thanks to all the bends, dips and climbs. Thats mainly if you plan to push it a bit. The last time I went there was with the fto on our previous cruise and it was a nicely suited stretch of road to test the capabilities of the chassis.
Are you giving this info to Ben are you? As I think he would have a good idea on this :lol: .

:lol:
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

aza013 wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... dont tell him what the orange light that comes on when he goes around corners is either! FARK!
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

SchumieFan wrote:
aza013 wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... dont tell him what the orange light that comes on when he goes around corners is either! FARK!
:lol:

Isn't that the one to tell you; you pulled some hektik G?
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

fully brew!