Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Daniel2019
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

NSW P Plater turbo ban changed

Post by Daniel2019 »

Booooooooooooooost! :cheers: :cheers:

NSW is set to overturn a ban preventing P-platers from driving the latest turbocharged fuel efficient vehicles.

Provisional drivers in NSW will be subject to fairer vehicle guidelines from next year, with the state government due to adopt a national framework that better reflects vehicle performance.

Under changes to be rolled out as early as January, a contentious blanket ban on turbocharged and supercharged vehicles will be replaced by a formula that calculates the power-to-weight ratio of a car with a limit of 130kW/tonne, opening up a plethora of low-powered vehicles for P-platers that use turbo-chargers to save fuel.

The rethink will also apply to high-powered diesel vehicles, which are currently approved for provisional drivers because of a loophole. The framework, drafted by the Austroads Registration and Licensing Task Force, is set to be implemented in NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland.
Advertisement

The NRMA has encouraged the new legislation, which has been in the making in for over a year, calling the current NSW measures “outdated and full of anomalies”.

“We strongly support this measure. It’s the approach we think the government should have taken in the first place,” NRMA president Wendy Machin said. “We’ve been saying for years that the current measures needed to be reviewed. We welcome the changes – it will be a better approach and a simpler approach for parents and young drivers.”

Under current measures introduced to NSW in 2005, a P-plater cannot drive a petrol vehicle with eight or more cylinders, a turbocharged petrol vehicle, a supercharged petrol vehicle, or certain high-performance six-cylinder petrol vehicles. But a technical oversight allows provisional drivers to get behind the wheel of “any turbocharged or supercharged diesel”. Such vehicles, including the twin-turbo diesel V6-powered Audi SQ5, heavily outweigh the power outputs of modestly turbocharged petrol vehicles, but escape the ban because they’re not petrol driven.

The Roads and Maritime Services online database of more than 4500 banned vehicles also discriminates against some of the safest cars on the road, simply because they use turbochargers. Turbocharging has traditionally been associated with performance cars, but in recent years car makers have used the technology to downsize their engines and save fuel.

Similar power-to-mass ratio rules already apply to provisional motorcycle riders in NSW. The same measures have long applied to Victorian and Queensland provisional drivers, with the threshold set at 130kW/tonne and 125kW/tonne respectively.

“Since the restrictions were introduced some manufacturers have been producing low-powered turbo and supercharged petrol vehicles to improve efficiency,” a spokesperson for Transport NSW said of the current laws. “Transport for NSW and RMS are currently considering work that is occurring at a national level that may further refine the high-powered vehicle restrictions that apply to novice drivers. The intention of any changes would be to maintain the safety benefits of vehicle restrictions while simplifying the rules and also considering changes in technology such as the use of low powered turbos.”

Different jurisdictions will meet to discuss the guidelines this week, before progressing with legislative changes.

NSW, South Australia, Queensland and Victoria will then roll out the new guidelines throughout next year, from January 1. It is understood NSW could be delayed until later in the year in implementing the new guidelines.

Statistics obtained by Fairfax Media show that since current vehicle restrictions were introduced for provisional NSW drivers in 2005, fatal accidents involving 17 to 20-year-old drivers have been reduced by 25 per cent across the state.

Number of Driver Fatalities Aged 17 to 20 Years

July 1996 - June 1997: 36
July 1997 - June 1998: 33
July 1998 - June 1999: 32
July 1999 - June 2000: 40
July 2000 - June 2001: 39
July 2001 - June 2002: 33
July 2002 - June 2003: 34
July 2003 - June 2004: 25
July 2004 - June 2005: 29
July 2005 - June 2006: 35
July 2006 - June 2007: 27
July 2007 - June 2008: 28
July 2008 - June 2009: 20
July 2009 - June 2010: 31
July 2010 - June 2011: 19
July 2011 - June 2012: 20
July 2012 - June 2013: 20
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Re: NSW P Plater turbo ban changed

Post by Bennoz »

Cool, so you're buying a 1.4L TDi Golf? Good times.

:cheeky:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Bennoz wrote:Cool, so you're buying a 1.4L TDi Golf? Good times.

Yet again I ask .... Where is the bloody like button ... :lol:
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

rock_it wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Cool, so you're buying a 1.4L TDi Golf? Good times.

Yet again I ask .... Where is the bloody like button ... :lol:
Lawl.

Ma Turbo.

Andym
Grease Monkey

Post by Andym »

its funny because the GPX is just over 130kw/tonne and i guess the GPvR would be more so.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

It's 130 kw per tonne for turbo cars (I think)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Correct, 130kw/tonne for boosted cars.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

The system still doesn't work on 130kW/tonne with diesels though, so you can still rort it that way.

Mum's audi:
3.0L V6 TDi
176kW/500Nm
1720kg
0-100km/h in 6.1 Seconds...

Legally, that car is fine for P-platers, as it only has a power/weight of 102kW/tonne, but will out-perform a number of NA and boosted cars that aren't available to P-platers. :roll:

Hurrah for oilers! :cheers:
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Maarrrd I'm gonna go buy an Audi
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
fraz91
Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Not just audi. Most oilers are like this now (except Toyota, but they still cant get their fuel filters srt up right for the diesels...)
I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.