Project: Maverick

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Project: Maverick

Post by aza013 »

:thumright: .
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Still more work than i have too ;)
But ill give it a go see if i can tolerate it :lol: (bloody lazy gen Y these days ey?)
Finished the drivers door as you can see, interior only needs to be stripped down from insulation remnants you can see and scrub/polish the tub up.
Found the missing lock from the drivers door too - sitting in the bottom of the door shell - wtf?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Looking good, going hard. 8)
With the roll cage, when you get there, will you be manufacturing your own, getting one manufactured or buying a pre-made one from japan?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Looking good still, Are you leaving it bare metal inside?
I could see the sun maybe being a problem?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

@ phil
tbh ill probably copy the cusco 7 point cage, but fab it over here myself, got a good guy/mate thats gonna hopefully do most of the fab work and conversion, gonna try and hit him up for some kind of sponsorship (well...free advertising for a reduced cost or something)

@teck
Na mate, eventually put some kind of paint or coat on the metal (whatever the cars do these days) to prevent that happening
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fat333-Pe ... 7568435028

For any of our brisbane members that need anything at all done.
This guy has a dyno, and can fab everything and do anything mechanical as well as electrical - will do most of my conversion when i hand the car over
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

Will pay sex for spoiler!
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

ObsidianRadio wrote:Will pay sex for spoiler!
For the VS spoiler? I've got one of them, freshly repaired & repainted, attached to a boot lid....
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

:utbnb:
LED ALL the things.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Updates, yet again.
Attacked it for a few hours this afternoon - glad i did i got a bit done.
Passenger door is stripped out like the drivers, only the intrusion bar and the locking mechanism for the door remains. Turps'd down and looking shiny like it just came off the factory floor - the sealer/glue used to stick the sound deadening on is a bitch to get off, stickiest stuff ive come across to date (pun intended).
Mounted the stripped out dash back in and put the wheel back on temporarily to get some measurements. Started to attack the engine bay a bit with some turps - upper firewall housing looks like it just came off the factory floor and the drivers shock housing (or whatever its called - the metal surrounding the top of the shock that some compliance plates are attached to) and compared to the rest of the bay...turps is fast becoming a favorite!
Got the compressor running as well and blew out the cabin completely in all nooks and crannies, only the boot remains to be done interior wise, and scrub down the tub, not sure if im getting a few things off the floor think ill leave em - i will be spraying the floor eventually with something my dad was telling me about yesterday - a tar like substance that dries hard and is kind of a scratch resistant heat insulator type stuff out of a can (as best i can remember) as he has used it in his drag car.
That will solve the possible bare metal+heat issue inside, and i think i will strip down the door cards and use them as well after i take another look at it properly over the weekend. I will be using the factory upper console, however from there down be making up a panel that goes from there straight down to the floor to house the ignition start/cut, switches etc
All i really have to do now is start researching very very thoroughly as to what exactly ill be using on the xplant and what specific year make and model car it will be off - and getting the half cut sourced (probably through import monster if they can find a good enough one for cheap enough)
Only thing really holding back progress now is funding (no surprise) but should be still picking at it and slowly getting there.
Will keep updating here as well as on FB for those who are following (they get pictures too as im gen Y and too lazy to click a few times :lol: )
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Today i attacked it for a few hours again.
I decided to get the fenders and skirts off, and strip the engine down a little more. I removed the baffle plate, pulley assembly and a few other plates and stuff to reduce the weight of it, and slowly dispose of the small parts through our wonderful government trash pickup service instead of forking out for a trailer.
After that i was in quite a cleaning mood and got the turps out and started scrubbing - the front end of the engine bay frame and under the fenders/wheel wells and the suspension towers. Coming up very very clean, happy with the results.
No photos as its now dark and im too lazy as i have to get dinner on.
Next step will be working out how to get this engine out without a crane if possible - thinking i might get away with putting a jack or two under there, undoing the mounts and wheeling it to the corner of the garage for the meantime, what do you guys think? anyone tried this?
Is there a better way to do it without a crane otherwise ill just buy one with good ol' tax return.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Can't help with the engine situation sorry,
But I demand pics of today's work, as soon as the sun is up :lol:
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Just use a crane will be 100times easier.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

more updates just posted on FB,
Engine and box is out, looking very bare at the moment i think the next step is taking out the driveshafts and fuel tank (just slipped the box out cbf taking shafts out today)
Wondering if theres any fuel left in the tank or if it has completely evaporated. Brake booster as well needs to come out and i think ill leave the control arms/turning assembly or what not in so i can atleast turn the car to make it much easier to get it on a trailer and off to the fab guy to be caged, then when the conversion begins and the car wont need to move then ill take the rest out.
Looking furiously for a decent evo 5 cut now, emailed a number of people both in Japan and over here, looking for a decent buy to my door, hopefully import monster might pick something up over in Japan and it will be cheap enough to get to my door etc or maybe a local import place, got quite a few people looking now. Hopefully tax will be tasty after everything has come out of it.
Will be cleaning up the shell a lot over the next week as well so more pics will come early next week.
For those of you who still dont follow the build on FB the link is at the top of the page.

Taz
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Tried SSS Automotive down here @ Giraween? They had one when I bought my brakes a few months back...
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

No right now im sticking to QLD at the moment, if theres nothing of interest/right price up here then ill move further south.
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

Bennoz wrote:
ObsidianRadio wrote:Will pay sex for spoiler!
For the VS spoiler? I've got one of them, freshly repaired & repainted, attached to a boot lid....

...IN RED?! I'LL BRING BLOW.
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Did a few minor things today.

First up was the wiper blades and windshield/bonnet plastic filler - resprayed them the proper way and got them looking mint 8) (put a DIY up as well)

Next i got the crossmember (as im unsure whether or not the 4g will use it or i will need an entirely new custom one) cleaned up and free from all grease and oil and sh*t, it really was horrible and caked in crap, sick of getting my hands dirty just picking it up.

Then i just whacked on the fenders and bonnet (didnt bolt em in or anything) to get an idea of it coming together with everything and to give me more motivation - must say its looking mint. Not sure if ill bother respraying the bonnet the same blue, or to just strip it entirely and leave the carbon look or leave it white.

Also took out the internals of the rear view mirror - less things to rattle around and i guess every gram counts :lol: Maybe gained .00001 sec on the 1/4 with that 10-15grams removed

Pics :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Project: Maverick

Post by Kustom »

:thumleft:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
silverGPX
9.5"