Project: Maverick

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Project: Maverick

Post by Taz »

Bored so im currently de-gluing the headlights right now, already sanded em back just need to polish them and reglue them back together again when im finished!
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

:? Hang on you are breaking the lights just to polish them? Or are you doing the inside?
Kustom
Oldtimer

Project: Maverick

Post by Kustom »

I think he means just pulling them apart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yes, i took them apart to do the inside as well, just getting all the glue off so they go back together perfect.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Taz wrote:Yes, i took them apart to do the inside as well, just getting all the glue off so they go back together perfect.
Pics! What glue are you going to use? How bad was the inside?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

inside wasnt AS bad, just being a perfectionist really, pics wont do them justice as they are still really cloudy without polish.

the glue is an absolute c**t to remove, just way too sticky and has taken me a good hour to remove 90% of just the cover of one, so not even 1/4 the way through - it will look shaweet when its done though, from sh*tty lights to almost mint, but the main purpose here is to get all the edges lined back up perfectly, no gaps left like my current ones on the white fto which has a small gap from when i stuck in the LED strips :oops:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Currently in contact with the guy who will be doing the fab work and things i cant myself - over the last few days several things have become apparent to me that is really making me confident that this will go relatively smoothly (considering)

Next steps are to strip the subframe and suspension/hubs out, spray the engine bay, spray subframe/crossmember etcand bolt them back in and send it off to be caged.
Will look pretty much identical to this when its sent off (minus rollcage)
http://www.evoowners.co.uk/f22/fto-evo- ... z21TrUPVkJ
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

removed the entire passenger hub, shock and brake lines etc its just an empty hub now, would of gone straight onto removing the drivers side, then unbolt the subframe but the f**king lock nut on the wheel is fucked, stripped to all hell and short of welding a socket on ive done everything from heating to cold chisel. Ordered a reverse tapered special lock nut removal set from the US, 38 delivered which isnt too bad, hope to have them soon to get this f**king wheel off, get everything out and send it off to start the fab process. Will be sent away this year though which is good, but will take the better half a year to roll back out as it will probably be done in spare time to save costs even further.

O and i also sprayed the crossmember gloss black - looks like new, just got to rip the subframe out and spray it. Then spray the engine bay, throw subframe back in then somehow find a way to get it to the shop without front wheels (probably back too..)
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Quick question though - if im going to use the evo 5 hubs, will i be able to use evo suspension as well, or will i still be limited to an fto setup?
The only thing i havent really researched enough to know flat out is whether or not i will be using the fto steering rack, or if i can get an evo one in there with a little modification to the firewall?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

More progress last few days. interior has been cleaned out to a high degree, still the sparkles in the silver paint on the floor of the car. Engine bay is all but stripped of the right hand side hub and steering rack, just waiting on the lock nut removers to get the wheel off as a) i dont have the tool and b) it is stripped anyway. Once that is done i can get it all out and start prepping the engine bay for paint, have gone out and bought a high quality professional paint sprayer, proper acryllic thinners and $70 per litre paint (suzuki competition blue).
Pics are gonna go up on FB, and here once i paint the bay
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Yay for progress :)
Is the engine bay going to be a similar blue the the outside of the car?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Simliar yes but noticeably different, its a slightly lighter blue, just need it a visible color other than black/silver etc as i need to see if the turbo is spitting oil or theres a leak etc, makes my life much much easier. Going to the the rack reconditioned when its out, got to spray the boot lid as well (probably black) and thats pretty much it i just gotta find a half cut/running gear (which ill probably have to get from NZ) and get it caged/in and were up :)
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

MIGHT of found a decent 4g out of a VR4 for 800 over in NZ (so cheaper than that again!) and have a good mate (well the guy who WAS going to do the conversion himself but got tied up over there and is staying for a while) so i can get it picked up and shipped over here (hopefully cheap enough to be viable)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 187734.htm
Just gotta see what is supposedly blown, and what needs done etc and so forth, but so far for the price this is a contender, then ill just have to source the running gear over here which will be much much easier i think, less popular than the engine itself - local wreckers might have something in brissie
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

So the locknut removers (while fantastic in themselves) didnt work - which means that no impact wrench or breaker bar would get it off, and im starting to think that the original remover wouldnt be much help either - they are torqued on to ridiculous lengths - it was much much easier to get the crown nut off.

So im gonna have to go to phase 213 and drill through the actual stud itself and hope that it cold chisels off, and if not, then i guess im taking a wheel+rotor+control arm+knuckle to a wheel shop and somehow get them to remove it for me.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I got one off with a socket set man
Bashed a sh*t socket on it and just hulked it off
They were f**king tight but they aren't impossible
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Sahin wrote:I got one off with a socket set man
Bashed a sh*t socket on it and just hulked it off
They were f**king tight but they aren't impossible
the locknut removers were literally shaving the metal off the nut as it was trying to take it off.
This one is just impossible, ill just have to sacrifice a stud
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Soft. Go buy a welder. Tack a bar on & hulk it off.
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

Any progress on this?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yea, been a bit busy to take and upload photos recently, and the fact that ive been spending money on my street fto as good deal after good deal has popped up on coilovers, seats, emanage blue etc.
Have dropped the subframe out, all fuel and brake lines leading under the car, only thing left on it is the rear running gear - bought a socket the other day, just gotta get someone with a welder out to weld it on to take off the wheels.
Started attacking the engine bay with prepsol in prep for spraying. Definitely more than a one day job.. Got sidetracked with errands for half the day then only got the drivers side of the bay done. Nother few attempts it should be right to go. Got the etch primer, professional spray gun and high quality paint, drop sheets, coveralls etc all ready to go.
Will have to try and find time as my 'business' of wrecking fto's is really starting to pick up after adverting on gumtree, getting multiple orders a day, and my guy is getting another FTO for me that ill fix up and sell. BUSY BUSY

But i havent forgot about maverick just yet. Still go to bed every night thinking bout the finished product.