Daniel's Rookie DIY FTO Build!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Daniel2019
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Daniel's Rookie DIY FTO Build!

Post by Daniel2019 »

I will be re-conditioning an old MIVEC engine, 14X,XXX on it according to dstocks who originally sold it to Akys to then sold it to me. I will be doing it progressively over the next few months (probably years) because I want to get into motor mechanics as a career and figured this would be the best place to start + ill come out of it with a fully reconditioned engine. Okay so I just got the engine from Akys. Bout a 2 hour round trip. Thanks to Akys for the help and big thanks to Dras for the lend of the engine jack.

Basically Ill be showing my work through this thread for anyone who is interested and also pestering people about how to do this and that.

Feel free to give suggestions/ideas/recommendations etc. as well as feedback for sh*t that im doing right and wrong (predominately wrong I would assume :lol:)
If anyone has anything they want to know about or practice, feel free to let me know and youre welcome to use mine.

Just a heads up, this will probably be the worst engine reconditioning you will ever see. Youve been warned :lol:

Update: This engine, when rebuilt will be dropped into another car with a manual conversion at the same time :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daniel2019 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Re: Daniel's Rookie DIY Engine Reco!

Post by aza013 »

Polish the AIM :D .
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

aza013 wrote:Polish the AIM :D .
Everything will be getting a good clean up before I do anything :D
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Daniel2019 wrote:About half the oil that has come out - the rest is in the ute haha
Isn't that your nans place/garage that your getting oil all over?

Put up a photo of the rear end of the engine and the mount of the engine stand

Why can't it stay where it is for a couple weeks? (thought I would move this conversation to your thread)

Who's ute did you use?
Can you keep the engine crane for a couple of weeks?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:About half the oil that has come out - the rest is in the ute haha
Isn't that your nans place/garage that your getting oil all over?

Put up a photo of the rear end of the engine and the mount of the engine stand

Why can't it stay where it is for a couple weeks? (thought I would move this conversation to your thread)
Pop's garage - been oil spills and sh*t before, mostly him. He doesnt have a problem with it because Im doing it for a legitimate reason, not just because I can. Hes a pretty old school person, values hard work and labour etc. and hes more than happy for me to learn like this before I get into an apprenticeship.

Cant really stay there, its not practical and I would simply rather it on the stand so I dont have to worry. Its not exactly a long term storage set up how it is now, plus I dont want to damage the jack considering it isnt mine.

As for the ute, I had a mate from school drive with me to Penrith and back with it.

The crane im not too sure about. Dras asked me to sort it out for it to go to Bennoz, however Im not sure when Ben needs it by. I'll PM Mr. President after work tomorrow and find out for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I fix cars.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Why would you need to recondition a motor with 140k on it? Or is the motor stuffed? Or you just want to learn?
Sahin
HULK

Daniel's Rookie DIY Engine Reco!

Post by Sahin »

Headgasket I believe
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

payaya wrote:Why would you need to recondition a motor with 140k on it? Or is the motor stuffed? Or you just want to learn?
A) I want to learn
B) It has a blown head gasket

:cheeky:

Its mostly for learning, but also because while learning I may as well do everything properly and have it running real nice when im finished. Its a win win, really. except for my bank account
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I'll take a pic for you tomorrow and post up how I have mine mounted. Will work the same for your stand.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Is it mounted with the gear box mounting holes on the back of the engine?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Daniel2019 wrote:
payaya wrote:Why would you need to recondition a motor with 140k on it? Or is the motor stuffed? Or you just want to learn?
A) I want to learn

Its mostly for learning, but also because while learning I may as well do everything properly and have it running real nice when im finished. Its a win win, really. except for my bank account
Good luck. There is no reason why the engine wont run good after the head gasket change. Not a massive learning curve but it's still a 10 hour job for a mechanic!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

payaya wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
A) I want to learn

Good luck. There is no reason why the engine wont run good after the head gasket change. Not a massive learning curve but it's still a 10 hour job for a mechanic!
Im planning on re-conditioning as much of it myself as possible. Doesnt matter that much if I f**k it up.
I fix cars.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I figured that was how, but as I said theres only 3 mounting points each side suitable for a bolt (as far as I can see) Im confused :scratch:
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Shane is going to post a pic tommorrow. for now this is all i could find
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:Shane is going to post a pic tommorrow. for now this is all i could find
Alrighty, cheers Phil. Will have a look tomorrow arvo after work when theres decent light and its not 11pm with me wanting to go to bed :lol:
I fix cars.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I don't need the crane back any time soon. I also have an engine stand you can borrow if you want. Currently has an MX5 donk on it, but its been there long enough to be considered scrap.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:I don't need the crane back any time soon. I also have an engine stand you can borrow if you want. Currently has an MX5 donk on it, but its been there long enough to be considered scrap.
Was that directed at me or phil? If it was for me, thank you for the offer however I have one, I just cant figure out where to bolt :scratch:

Thank you though :D
I fix cars.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Daniel2019 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:I don't need the crane back any time soon. I also have an engine stand you can borrow if you want. Currently has an MX5 donk on it, but its been there long enough to be considered scrap.
Was that directed at me or phil? If it was for me, thank you for the offer however I have one, I just cant figure out where to bolt :scratch:

You.

I usually use the gearbox bell housing bolt holes. Doesn't matter which ones, just try get an even spread.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:

You.

I usually use the gearbox bell housing bolt holes. Doesn't matter which ones, just try get an even spread.
Will have a look tonight when I get home, cheers ben
I fix cars.