Max's FTO

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Max's FTO

Post by Technikhaus »

Very nice!
Do you have a guide on how you did the heated seats?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Surely you want refrigerated seats?!

Although I don't have a guide, I can write one. It's very simple to do, but requires around 25m of 4-5mm diameter cable and patience. It took me two weekends. The first weekend was used to prepare the seats to take the heater pads and the next was to strip the car to wire it. It's entirely separate from the Mitsubishi wiring. Standalone if you will.

To get you started, you'll need the following. Then it's just a case of getting the parts installed in the right order! ;)

25m 4mm cable
4x heater pads - 2 seats + 2 back. Mine came from an old Ford Mondeo MK1 (considerably better than the sets you get on Ebay - I sent the ones back from Ebay as the quality was appalling)
4x 2-plug connectors (male/female) - if you want to remove the seats in the future, you need to be able to disconnect the heat pads. Mine again, came from the Mondeo.
Cable ties
3x double-throw switches (passenger, driver, driver master)
6x female spade
3x ring spade connector thingies (for ground points)
Solder + iron + adhesive heat shrink
4-pin relay
2-3m 30A rated cable + inline fuse holder rated to 30A
Did I mentioned cable ties!
1m of 8-10mm ducting (used when going over the central tunnel as no point running more cable than you need)
Patience and knuckles!

When you're done, a cold beer is always nice. So stick a couple in the fridge before you start. :)

You can also repair the drivers bolster while you're doing these works. I did. :D
Last edited by MaxD on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Cheers :)
I live in NZ, so heated seats would be nice!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

dstocks wrote:I can add all your guides to complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au) as well if that is acceptable...

FTO is looking very clean BTW.
I've used your site to locate a few things, so definitely add them. :) With the LED guide, if you put the title text into Ebay, you'll get what you're looking for.

Thanks for the clean comment as it's definitely not looking it at the moment... exterior is filthy and the interior pretty much just has a dash and seats. All other insulating material has been removed in preparation for cutting out the rust and welding in new. :)
silverGPX wrote:Wow that led guide Is amazing!!!! I don't understand about the dash illuminating due to led brake lights?
Due to the low resistance of the LED's, there seems to be a feedback occurring on the lighting circuit. But it's an easy fix with a diode. :) There are a few issues that occur on the FTO like this. Diodes are magic! :)
Last edited by MaxD on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I'll put together a wiring diagram. Do you want to be able to have a master control switch over both drivers and passengers seats? If you're happy to put the switches in a brilliant, but subtle location you'll definitely need all the cable and a bit more. But I think it's worth it.

Here are the switches - they're virtually flush mounted directly above the window switches. This is the drivers side, so two switches. Master on the left, driver's on the right:

And the cable pertaining to the heated seats in the passenger door. Take a look at the door handle. Below the spring, you'll see purple, white and blue. These are for the heated seat control:

The two cables over the far left of the picture are for courtesy lights - the FTO has very wide doors. Not to mention, it's a black car and in the dark, it's hard to see anything. The two green blocks with a bucket of cables coming out are two one-touch relays for the passenger window. Lastly, you have a very heavy duty actuator for the door locks. The bar came from Wicks - a roofing supplier. There's also no more room in the chassis-to-door grommets!!
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

...not yet complete, but here's how the Alternator Refurb doc is looking. There is a difference between the GPX and GR alternator...I'm meeting a guy a week Sunday to collect his old unit so I can get some photos and do a comparison guide too. :) The fundamentals will be the same by all accounts.

http://www.mcdcs.co.uk/images/Alternator_Repair.pdf
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

I love this guy lol
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Thanks. :)

It's cost effective to replace the brushes and bearing on an alternator, but the costs and time for the rectifier or regulator are considerably higher. In the end, I bought a refurbished unit from Camskill and sent back the old for the service exchange. In the end, it cost an extra £55 for convenience. However..., the components inside were all new. So you actually get a very good deal from Camskill and once reality sets in, you're actually saving money buying a refurbished unit. I'll still be finishing the guide though seeing as no one else has one! :)
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Only problem with Camskill for us is there's a minimum shipping charge of 50GBP.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I thought there probably would be. One option is to know someone in the UK... Shipping for us is generally set at a flat rate of £8.95 ish.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

MaxD wrote:I thought there probably would be. One option is to know someone in the UK... Shipping for us is generally set at a flat rate of £8.95 ish.
Is that you volunteering? :lol:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Is it not obvious enough? :P
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Re: Gearbox removal and swap help

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Nice ill be keeping that in mind haha
gotta get there one day :)
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I think the way it would work would be to buy the item, whatever it was, put in your card details, etc and ship to my address. Obviously let me know in advance, else I will be quietly surprised and will put out a general thank you to the club!! ;)
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

For those of you who seek perfection on the sound stage, but don't want, have or have space for an amp, here's a solution. You still need a capable radio with a good selection of settings to get things the way you like, but even without, it's a big improvement.

shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

You would still need an active Passover I am guessing?
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Nope!

These speakers are full range and incredibly tolerant with high treble.

JAMZO_wamZo
Grease Monkey

Post by JAMZO_wamZo »

I've got mostly top range hertz speakers in my FTO. They're damn good.
Hey. Hey fella..
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Just before Christmas, I decided on a different mod. Not a fan of the orange and (almost) learning the hard way that a dark black tint film isn't good in direct sunlight in the summer, I opted for this. What do you lot think?

One of the other other guides that I need to rework to the same format I have for my others - one-touch passenger window.
http://www.mcdcs.co.uk/images/FTO/Guide ... Window.pdf
Last edited by MaxD on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Is that taillight mod legal over there? Would get pinged in an instant over here?. Do think it improves the look though.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you