FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTODreams
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

Post by FTODreams »

Seems like I am! They aren't crap but they aren't preferred. I'd probably be more happy running a PicAXE.
Plus I could of got a better one. But the reason for the $30 one is the amount of inputs and outputs. But the main reason for the arduino was the onboard lcd and buttons. So I could impliment cycling through a menu.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

So today I got the front bumper on the car. (Needs more adjusting.) Got strut brace installed! Thanks Destinationboy! Looks great after a bit of metal polish!
Painted my bonnet so that should be ready to go back on the car tomorrow. Made something up to hold the side indicator in as my little spring clip was missing. Primered the rear bumper. And also finally took out that massive crease in the rear quarter panel. It's now back to the way it should be and now I'm just adjusting and beating where the rear tail light sits into that curve. Other than that almost done? Once I'm done I'll also seam weld everything cause I've had to cut some lines into the body to get everything back out!
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

:lol: no worries matey
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Almost done hnnnggggggggggg. She's going in for a wheel alignment Saturday. Man I'm so happy.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Well its been a long time since the last update. Its been two and a bit years since the last update so will try to cover the load of things done.

Most of my time has been spent helping other people out with their FTO's because I didn't have money to really do much being a full time engineering student at uni. Ended up spending a lot of time helping out Shiggz with his twin turbo build and lots of other stuff which was good. Ive finally graduated and I work now so I can spend much more time finally getting the car to where i want it to be (Although this engine is gonna be swapped into a GPVR rolling shell that Ive got).

Lets talk about the car! Since the last update the paint really started fading bad, I'm not gonna bother uploading photos cause it just looks shocking. Ive recently pulled off all the panels on the front end and got a proper spray gun and proper paint and did it properly. Was definitely not worth using a rattle can to try and paint the body. Also I cant be bothered repairing this shell, it has so much damage to it hence the rolling shell.

The engine. Its been around 80000km since the replacement engine has gone into this chassis putting the motor at 160000km (pretty much all freeway driving). Since maybe a few months after (3-5?) it went in, it really started dropping off in power and would only really give me full power on random occasions. It normally really likes to run rich and make crackles pops and bangs (I honestly would like the power back and not the noise) . To this date that problem still hasn't been solved and the engine is much more worse for wear. To try and remedy this i tried replacing mostly everything on the engine bar stripping it down so over the last 80000km its had new spark plugs every 30000km, oil/filter changes every 5000-10000km, new coil-packs and leads, new battery (4 times...), grounding kits, air filters, fuel filters, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, new PCV valve, new vacuum lines everywhere, replaced charcoal canister, new seals everywhere so no oil leaks, new gaskets on the throttle body and intake manifold, ported intake manifold (just cause), new temperature sensors, new thermostat, new radiator cap and the list goes on. Looking at the Haltech standalone and looking at logs I can never see anything indicative of what could be causing the issue. Ive pulled spark plugs loads of time and they look perfect. Maybe its tune related? I went to try and get it re-tuned multiple times but always ran into issues I've had to fix so never got a full proper tune done.

A few issues that need to be sorted now: Timing on the rear bank has skipped a tooth recently, tappets are loud as always (classic FTO's), the new cams had a gouge on one of the lobes from an unknown source (had to de-burr the edges and make it smooth), I think injectors are also needing a change, wiring to the fuel pump probably needs upgrading, o2 sensor definitely needs replacing, high flow cat-converter is probably clogged, and its around time to do the head-gaskets and timing belt all over again! So its potentially just gonna get forged instead ready for the turbo that'll be slapped on this year.

On a plus side the engine has been super reliable this whole time and i never had a breakdown because of it. I honestly love that about this engine.

I have however had to rebuild the gearbox, replace lots of the suspension bits and do the brakes a few times because i ruined them at track days so often.

However I love this car and do intend to keep one forever.... call me crazy....

More updates will be posted more regularly.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I'd sort the timing first, you may find that it sorts out the fuelling issue - i'd hope so.
Sounds like you have a fair bit of work on with the car, there's always something!

Oh and congrats on your uni graduation.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Yeah I'll definitely be getting it sorted soon. Next paycheck I'll order the stuff then strip it down on a weekend. Hopefully it sorts out the fuel issue. Not sure that it'll fix the random power issue but hopefully it's a start. Once I've done all that stuff I'll head down with Shiggz for a drag night.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

So my car comes with the factory HID ballasts and very recently one would flicker and go out while I was driving. So instead of swapping some generic HID kit in (not really a fan of that Chinese stuff) I decided to fix this ballast. So basically I pulled it apart and replaced all the capacitors and IGBT's. While doing this I found one of the buses had an over voltage situation and had snapped. So I just repaired it by making a long string of solder between joints.

Which fixed it and haven't had a problem since. While the headlight housings were out I replaced the OEM bulbs that had been in there since 1997 (still working) with some Osram 66240CBI bulbs and my god the light output is amazing now! They're so white and the range is much better!

That's all for this update.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Another thing I've done recently is play around with adding a three point strut brace to my FTO (why? Cause I can). One day some guy was throwing away an Evo 6 factory strut brace so I picked that up for free.

Now from investigation the firewall location I chose the metal is actually quite thin so eventually I'll have to have a look at reinforcing the area. Currently I just lightly bent a flat piece of stainless steel cut to size and placed on the wiper arm side to hopefully disperse the force across the firewall area as I'm not a fan of all the force being on the bolt.

I also had to clearance the top of the intake manifold as a little tab just nicks the strut bar. Other than that it bolts straight up.

I'll eventually replace it with an evo 6 Cusco brace with brake master stopper.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Evos have some sort of plate that these connect to behind the firewall.
Much like the one you would've devised I suspect
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Man, that's a fair whack of stuff to find an issue. :lol: