FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MADFTO
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

Post by MADFTO »

Ain't touching the crank but everything above it is getting a do over. Going for a mild bump in compression as well, so this'll be an interesting experiment.

Also interesting that we're taking the 6A12 down opposite paths, Dave's going to get a lot of info out of our builds :)

Yeah not a lot of room to be had, suspect you're going to be moving the battery to the boot!
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Yep buying a new battery and chucking it back in the boot which also helps with weight distribution! Going to be interesting corner balancing it once the lighter control arm from the evo is in and lighter brake rotors.Then I got to see what things I can relocate! Probably the fuel filter and the power steering reservoir first.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

One of you guys should tell RPW to make their cams cheaper. :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Hahaha I wish they were cheaper too! I got a set of cams put into my Triton for $800. We will have to get into Dave's case about it. I think it's mainly because the 6a12 engine isn't widely used as a performance engine and cause it didn't appear in really any cars. So having to get them custom made all the time is just a by product.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

So I got my car back two weeks ago! Yay! :P Time to post some feedback!
Got the car back with 128.8kw at the wheels! Thats with extractors, exhaust and tune! plus a healthy low mileage Mivec engine. The braking and acceleration is so much better than it ever was! Its so much of a pleasure to drive now! And the handling is so much better having poly bushes everywhere! Also thanks to Sahin for sending me the manual shifter bracket! Shifts like a dream now! Will also post some pictures at a later date! Seeing how my bushes were all shot before these poly bushes feel like the most comfortable thing ever!

Now the bad! So while driving the other day in the wet i heard a thud and then suddenly what i discovered later to be the rear inner trailing arm bush had decided to break and the car spun out. (Thats what you get for changing everything to poly and not changing two very old rubbers probably to new ones) It smacked the rear drivers side wheel pretty hard. And the end result is now it looks like it has positive camber on that wheel because from what I can tell is one of the trailing arms are bent. Took it in to pedders and they said the big arm that has the wheel hub bent when it hit the curb. So any clues on where to get a big one of those huge hunks of crazy from? If i have to order a new one I will.

Next up when the fuel in the tank goes below half or close to it there is a considerable loss in power. Im guessing it could be the fuel pump? But im not too good with the fuel side of things so I have no idea whether it could be a regulator or something not getting enough pressure.

Good news on turbo information, from work Ive sourced a single VGT Turbo from a Porsche 997 911 Turbo!! the other one was buggered and the owner didn't want it so he gave me that one! So from here I start collecting parts slowly to work on turboing the beast that I call Nero. So Im currently looking at learning how to program in the electronic actuator which controls the vanes for the turbo.

Next up question on EVO 5-6 brembo conversion! I can get my hands on the EVO 6 control arms! Now my question is how do I hook them up the front roll bar. Do I need to get a GPVR sway bar or do I need the EVO swaybar?

Thats it for now I guess! Photos to come later!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nice. 129kw is pretty healthy!
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

If I recall correctly, Bennoz used EVO 3 control arms with the EVO 5 hub and knuckle.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Thanks Dan! Yeah I checked his thread but he says in it that an Evo 5 arm will be a direct fit to the hub without having to mess around with ball joints.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Also would be interested to see how VGT turbo setup goes. Definitely keeping an eye on this.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah I used Evo III arms. It's only a simple ball joint swap though, no fabrication required, just press out tapered style, press in the other style.

I seem to think the Evo 5 & 6 arms are slightly wider & there's not enough bush adjustment to make them work. The Evo 4 arms might work, they have the mounting plate on the arm itself for a Version R swaybar. If you have a normal FTO swaybar, it'll just connect to the shock as per usual.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

EVO 4 arms don't work, brings the wheel too far forward.
Bennoz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Vectose wrote:EVO 4 arms don't work, brings the wheel too far forward.
I'd like to check out your Evo 4 arms next time we get a chance.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

No worries, perhaps I can grab that oil temp sensor as well. :lol:
Bennoz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Well I finished my exams! Passed all my 3rd year engineering units. Anyways things have been going alright with old money hole. Someone reversed into the rear bar right in the corner at the parking lot. So I'm currently fixing that up so she's off the road again! Anyway working on the brake conversion and stuff. I've swapped my rear trailing arms out for evo 3 alloy ones from eBay. They fit pretty well and time will tell how good they are! Switching the rear suspension set up to gpx style so I got the ultra racing 23mm rear sway bar and drop links to suit.

Now I've ordered a evo 5-6 lower control arm from supersupercheap and it came to $40 so pretty inexpensive
And when I get it I'll check the length of them and fitment to the fto.

Also picked up a set of evo 7 rims for $300 buy they need a respraying.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

So that's the damage to my front end. From slamming into a wall in the shopping centre. >:(

Rear damage is a hole lot worse. No idea what the hell would make that sort of crease in the body work, but gonna assume a 4WD. Still somewhat pissed about it.

New Evo 7 Rims. They look a whole lot better in the photo than they actually do. So much cracking in the paint and runs and everything.

Fixed the front end damage. Mind you its not a 100% straight but ive got all the front subframe of Amayamamama and Camskill so one day ill take it to a body shop and get them to reweld the new ones on. Also picked up a set of HID headlights from a wrecked GPVR in the area.

Current progress on the rear frame. Sigh. Makes me so depressed sometimes looking at it. Funny there wasnt actually any damage what so ever to my rear bumper. just managed to crumple in the quarter panel hard.

New anthracite paint on the rims. Looks pretty good if you ask me!

And a new ultra racing rear sway bar, to accompany the Evo 1-3 billet arms of eBay and also bought some drop links for them. What pissed me off was how much i had to modify the rear bracket to be able to sit the bush properly on the chassis. Im probably gonna have to go and get a suspension place to make a proper bracket at some point. Definitely not a direct fit.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Damn,you'll be able to pull that back bit out by drilling a hole & using a dent puller. Then tap it all back into place, will be difficult getting the alignment around the light and bar perfect ever again.
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Also, ya shed needs a new slab laid :lol:
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Ouch, is that front end damage from being reversed into as well?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Yeah I figured it would never be perfect again one day I'll just have to swap everything over to a new body or source the rear quarter and get it welded back on (I've had a look at Mitsubishi's repair manual for the fto)

Man my backyard and shed need the ground leveling and then slabs!! Hahahaha

Nah the front end damage was my car sliding forwards into a wall at the shopping center. My rear brakes aren't perfect at the moment and need new pads, rotors and adjustment!