FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTODreams
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: FTODreams Not So Dreamy Car! Project Moneyhole!

Post by FTODreams »

Yeah it's a standalone. Also ripped the old wiring from the car and attached Haltechs long ECU wiring loom. Pretty excited about the Elite and the possibility of using CAN bus. I've done some programming with CAN so I'm interested to see what new car features I could impliment with CAN! I'll post any sort of crazy stuff I decide to do with the haltech on here.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Elite is the newest model. Did they ask if you wanted to convert to an electric throttle body?
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Yep by electronic throttle body you mean drive by wire! There was the ability for that and launch control to be added after that and no lift shift. I just want my car back and tested before I add that in. It's already got the flex fuel sensor added in and there's a bunch of other random aadd-ons that I could do with it. Got to admit the Elite is pretty amazing. Any codes that come up with the car and I can just plug my laptop in via USB and have the reason come up straight away. No need to use the OBD2 port.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Yeah just from watching mcm and the abilities makes all the other ecus seem like they are from the dark age.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Microtech is generally pretty good too, but Haltech is definitely an excellent option.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

I've heard microtech was great too! I only chose Haltech over microtech cause that's who my tuner was more comfortable with. Best feature is closed loop 02 sensor control. Which rapidly changes your tune on your 02 sensors feedback. Idle is so smooth because of it.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

wow, I'm jealous of all that work, and the ECU!
Nice job!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

FTODreams wrote:Yep by electronic throttle body you mean drive by wire! There was the ability for that and launch control to be added after that and no lift shift. I just want my car back and tested before I add that in. It's already got the flex fuel sensor added in and there's a bunch of other random aadd-ons that I could do with it. Got to admit the Elite is pretty amazing. Any codes that come up with the car and I can just plug my laptop in via USB and have the reason come up straight away. No need to use the OBD2 port.

Where did you get it done, and around how much did it cost you? Or did you just DIY the entire thing?
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Got it done at RPW in Perth? And probably close to $3500? The haltech elite costs close to $2000 and then for the extra long lead which is another $700 and the rest on installation. They've just got the elites in when they first came out so a few cars have been switching to them. I could have DIY'd it but I just didn't have the time.
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Also mind you it took them a fair bit of time to do it as they had non mivec ecu wiring to sort out and to then wire in the necessary mivec wires. If you've got the time and the patients and the know how do it yourself otherwise prepare to pay a butt load.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Cool another FTO getting some serious work done in Perth, at RPW no less.

Awesome stuff you're doing. Would be interested to see how the elite pans out for you.

We probably will bump into one another at some point. See you around
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Haha hi! Yeah I heard your FTO was at the shop! Getting some serious work done! Dave says yours, mine and someone else with a white fto are the only ones that go there. So I only knew of three in Perth that aren't completely trashed! I'll let you know after about a month or so! hows your FTO going?
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

She's just waiting on pistons, then she can be put together and we'll see what can happen going down the NA route.

Been a long wait but looking forward to getting her tuned and finding out what she sounds like after all the work :)
FTODreams
Grease Monkey

Post by FTODreams »

Ah! So it's a fully forged motor then? Or just ported and polished with a few internal upgrades? I'm working on being able to drive it around town but go for the occasional track day! Been talking with Dave about in a year's time working on making a twin turbo set up for it. Been doing some design on it and the clearances are tight! I just want to see the max I can get out of the engine without swapping to a 6a13. Then I'm also pouring some serious research and time into the drive train. Then I'll decide if I can be bothered making it AWD. Getting the engineering certificates for it will be tough.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I'd be speaking to FTO-007 regarding the limits of a boosted 6A12. I think he topped out at 360hp with basically no expenses spared.