Joey's ride!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jholapeno
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Joey's ride!

Post by Jholapeno »

Figured I'd start posting something up since I've recently bought a ride and have had a few new developments!

So initially I picked up a silver GR 4 speed tip. Bad trans, and abit of other things, though I picked it up dirt cheap it felt mediocre a dissapointing considering the amount of work and cash I'd need to put in to get it working.

Thats when I decided to go by a black gpx that was selling pretty cheap. Manage to scrounge up the dollars and figured it would save me dollars in the long run not having to convert the GR to manual etc. Goodies it includes:

- Manual 5 spd - both shafts are turning equally in the same direction, would this be LSD?
- HA Tein coilovers
- Pro shop iida extractors (been bottomed out unfortunately.
- aftermarket cat and exhaust - 2.5' mandrel
Edit: - forgot to include ARC intake!

Issues it has:

- slipping clutch
- find a small amount of water getting into the head, it's quite a small amount but suspect it will get worse.
- water pump leaking (possibly related with above? ^)
- new AC belt needed, will change them all.
- Rear quarter panel damage, and front guard.
- dented sump from it being so damn low.

Things I've done
stripped the interior and replaced it with the leather from the GR.
serviced, new brake pads, oil/filter.

Currently I'm in the process of pulling out the gearbox to replace the clutch. Picked up an RPM clutch kit "RPM1221N" Heavy duty organic supposedly. So far manage to get one cv off... the passenger side is a bit of a c#$t to find clearance to pry off!
Last edited by Jholapeno on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Re: Joey's ride!

Post by destinationtoby »

Soo blown head gasket?
I wouldn't be spending a cent on it until the new engine goes in :lol:
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Whoa, both you and WoohYeahJunior bought a GR, and then a black GPX because it was better. COINCIDENCE?

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=29388
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Jholapeno

Post by Jholapeno »

Possibly. A new engine though isn't that abit drastic? Its running smooth and no smoke. There was literally 2 ml worth of milk buildup on the oil cap after 45 minutes of driving.

Interesting coincidence? That link goes back to this thread.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

If youre confident in fixing stuff yourself id just fix the engine, keep in mine its a quad cam pain in the ass to change the timing belt with the water pump and has 2 head gaskets
so id be taking the engine out of the car to do all that, it'll be a lot easier on a stand or bench

most people swap the engine when a leaking head gasket comes into play as its usually an engine out procedure and not too much more expensive anyway
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Jholapeno wrote:Interesting coincidence? That link goes back to this thread.

Oops. :lol: my bad. And I can't be bothered finding the actual thread now. It's there somewhere haha
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Jholapeno wrote:Possibly. A new engine though isn't that abit drastic? .

no.
It's what your going to have to do :lol:
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Jholapeno

Post by Jholapeno »

I'm happy and confident in my ability to learn by doing, keeps me occupied and focused. That's a fair enough point sahin, and it's looking like I may need to do that. I feel like it would be wasteful to just buy a new engine for a gasket leak even if it saves money upfront. So in saying that, bring on the cuts and bruises! :mrgreen:

Regarding the coincidence, both my fto's are 95 models, no 96. Just shy off being exact!
Last edited by Jholapeno on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

If it was my engine, I would fix the head gasket too ;)
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

So would I phil, but only because I have internal work done. If it was just a standard engine I would just replace it and do a major service on it while out of the car.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Jholapeno

Post by Jholapeno »

So an update, clutch is now changed and I'm really loving the bite from this heavy duty unit. Was a big pain in the ass, first time ever changing a clutch and I had to do it on my own.. took me 16 hours to do over 3 days.. but I got it done!

Next on the list will be to slap on some new rotors and look into doing the water pump..
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Sahin wrote:If youre confident in fixing stuff yourself id just fix the engine, keep in mine its a quad cam pain in the ass to change the timing belt with the water pump and has 2 head gaskets
Pffft... it's easy! What are you talking about!
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Jholapeno wrote: Next on the list will be to slap on some new rotors and look into doing the water pump..
I just did mine on the weekend, I can walk you through it...

where in sydney r u?
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I just did mine tonight lol
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

U did the water pump??? Thought you just did your belt
Jholapeno

Post by Jholapeno »

Western sydney, out near penrith

Much to it? Looks like I just need to get to the timing belt, remove the old unit and slap in the new one, chuck all the belts back on, then tension and badabing. Really don't want to drop the engine so I think I'll have to spend a long time on it, a fiddly job it looks to be.

Might leave this till next weekend and replace the timing belt along with it since I don't know when it was done last. Hopefully the water pump doesn't die till then as I'll be daily driving the car haha.

Realised my heater doesn't work tonight, damn cold :lol: think I'll sort that out this weekend as well as drop in some audio, for dat beatz.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Um no...

need to remove:
- drivers side radiator fan
- air con compressor bolts(4)
- power steering bolts(3)
- power steering bracket to air con bolt (1)
- power steering bracket (4)
- engine mount

There is 1 of 7 bolts of the water pump hidden behind the engine mount
Jholapeno

Post by Jholapeno »

Thanks schumie!

When it certainly has been a pain in the ass!

An update. I've spent the last while just saving up the cash to get the parts for this job (and finding time to get it done.) I recently got started on it, upto the point of putting the new belt on and re-aligning timing marks. Not too sure but may have bent valves here, as I was trying to turn the camshafts over today they hit a tension point then sprung in the anti clockwise direction I was pulling it, past the timing mark. What do you gents reckon, might I have efd the valves?

In other news, cv's and exhaust manifold will be getting some repairs this week, and once this is all done, the fun stuff begins. Interior and audio! I've found some custom door cards for the car, will post up some pictures tomorrow.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Should be ok.
I have let the cam sproket go by accident, sometimes you just can't help it.
The force of the spring back is only small, you need the full force of the engine running to bend a valve.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol: