FTO QLD, new purchase!!

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

DJay.A
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO QLD, new purchase!!

Post by DJay.A »

Hey guys!

So a couple months ago I was looking around for an FTO, and due to other priorities my search halted, but I have finally purchased my first FTO, which is also my first car!!
I picked it up a couple of days ago and mechanically it's A1. I'm inexperienced when it comes to up keeping the car mechanically (which is why I went and picked it up with a mate who owns a 180sx as his project car), and I want to make sure I take car of my new pride & Joy, which is why I'm here!
I have two issues which stem from the electronics and wiring, which if someone could help me out with would be great...
The first issue is the dash lights are very dim, and the previous owner seems to have replaced the area where the light dimmer control is with a single button to turn on blue led's, which once turned on dim the dash lights further.
The second issue is having no audio output... Occasionally over a bump the audio will start working fine, and then will cut out shortly after which I believe stems from loose wiring...

There's also a few wires which are clearly visible once the door is opened that go from the dash into the side doors, which I've been told by a guy at Autobarn is completely wrong.

I'm also looking at updating the interior with either vinyl wrapping... Or plasti-dipping parts... Ideas, and recommendations on updating the interior would be greatly appreciated.
Anyway, here's a few pics of the new purchase :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mezje
Mechanic

Re: FTO QLD, new purchase!!

Post by mezje »

DJay.A wrote:Hey guys!

So a couple months ago I was looking around for an FTO, and due to other priorities my search halted, but I have finally purchased my first FTO, which is also my first car!!
I picked it up a couple of days ago and mechanically it's A1. I'm inexperienced when it comes to up keeping the car mechanically (which is why I went and picked it up with a mate who owns a 180sx as his project car), and I want to make sure I take car of my new pride & Joy, which is why I'm here!
I have two issues which stem from the electronics and wiring, which if someone could help me out with would be great...
The first issue is the dash lights are very dim, and the previous owner seems to have replaced the area where the light dimmer control is with a single button to turn on blue led's, which once turned on dim the dash lights further.
The second issue is having no audio output... Occasionally over a bump the audio will start working fine, and then will cut out shortly after which I believe stems from loose wiring...

There's also a few wires which are clearly visible once the door is opened that go from the dash into the side doors, which I've been told by a guy at Autobarn is completely wrong.

I'm also looking at updating the interior with either vinyl wrapping... Or plasti-dipping parts... Ideas, and recommendations on updating the interior would be greatly appreciated.
Anyway, here's a few pics of the new purchase :-)
Welcome to the club!

I like the VS side skirts, badge and windscreen sticker, not sure about the sparco one though :P

Dash lights personally I would replace with LEDs, super cheap, easy and they look great! I had dim lights too and double checked the dimmer switch but they were barely visible no matter what. I went with this kit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-LED-Das ... b0c&_uhb=1

Please don't plastidip or wrap interior panels, it usually looks real tacky, especially plastidipped interiors but each to their own.
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

If you're itching to change up the interior panels might I suggest going with a hydrographic dip? It'll clean it up and make it less boring. Stick to a pattern that is a bit less outlandish, like CF or wood grain. Hydrographics don't peel like plasti-dip and vinyl...so definitely feels a lot cleaner than the former.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

also you'll have issues with getting the vinyl wrap to stick, due to the shapes and texture
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Moused
Grease Monkey

Post by Moused »

mezje wrote: Dash lights personally I would replace with LEDs, super cheap, easy and they look great! I had dim lights too and double checked the dimmer switch but they were barely visible no matter what.
How long have you had these ones installed? Have any pics of them in by chance?
DJay.A

Post by DJay.A »

Update:

So I've upgraded parts of the interior with plasti-dip on the fascia which came out extremely well, and added the blue LED's mezje pointed me towards behind the dash which work extremely well, so many thanks mezje!
I have fixed the audio issues, by doing a complete rewire of the cars audio as the previous owner must have been high on crack when doing the connections as all the speakers(6 of them) were connected to one output behind the headunit (FR +ve and -ve terminals)....???
Also added a touchscreen head unit in the process :D

Will post photo's once the interior is complete! :-)

This car has turned into my project car and is my daily, and I have fallen in love with the little pocket rocket that is the FTO.
Scorpionwally8
Grease Monkey

Post by Scorpionwally8 »

Love the sides I'm currently sanding back a set for my fto, also hids for your low beam are a good cheap upgrade but don't get to bright of one's
ImageImageImage