Shyam's FTO GR Build

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shyam995
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Shyam's FTO GR Build

Post by Shyam995 »

Hey yall,

As i write this very introduction, my car lays lifeless in the backyard. Few weeks out of action due to a dodgy sub install, and eager to show someone my future plans, here i am, narrating my build.

Before that though, shall give the story so far of my beloved car.

Back in 2014, i went to my best friends house and, usually, check out his car collection out the back of his driveway. His dads a mechanic, and at a point where i was considering buying my first car, it was worthwhile searching the lot and seeing if there was any potential candidates. There i stumbled across it, a dusty, neglected, 95' FTO GR automatic. The front was what got me instantly, it looked amazing. Wasnt really a fan of the rear though but i was keen to buy it. Asked my mates dad and after some TLC and minor repairs, it was mine a few months later, April 2015, a month after i got my Probationary License.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The first drive it took with it, bring it home, it was so good. Just how low the car was in comparison to the other sedans you see out there, there wasnt a moment where i wasnt smiling :lol: :lol: (gheeey)

One problem that the car had, the fact that i had to keep my pedal down a bit after i started the car was a pain (idle problem that nearly all of us have dealt with now :cyclops: ). Addressed that problem a few months later.

As time flew by, and being busy with University as well as long trips to friends houses and car meets, my car showed its weakest signs, electrical problems, a starter motor problem that made me leave the car at a kebab joint for 2 days, and a problem with the fuel filter that left me and 5 other mates questioned as to why the engine wont start. However, for some reason, i kept it all inside and accepted its flaws for its age and savoured every moment with the car.

When i got my car, the car had GS plate covers for some reason, they looked really bad so, after consulting the FTO Australia Facebook page, a guy named Chris (Matte Black wrapped FTO) sold me his stock 5 spoke OEM fto wheels. Looks way better than before :P

Months went on, car was doing its thang, and still making me smile. Got a lot of compliments from a few of my friends in my cultural community and what not, so that was a bonus :P
image.jpeg
Will be very honest, there have been moments where i have been dissatisfied with my car and its ageing was just constantly reminding me of this. However, even though the toughest of times in 2015, going on a drive with this car was just what i needed.

Into 2016 now and i decided to install a 600W ORION amplifier, 1000W Sony Xplod Subwoofer, and a Pioneer Bluetooth head unit, via a person recommending it to me. After the install, my car just died the next day. Problem needs to be addressed and is still out at writing this post.

When the car is up and running again, i want to start modding out the car, creating a stanced fto, one that ive seen only a few times. That crazy russian kid with the svt rims inspired me and a fellow member of the forums, BJK, also inspired me. Was thinking fifteen52 wheels but ive got time :P
Just purchased japanese plates for my car and they should be delivered soon. But a rough outline below of what i intend to to:

- Wheels (going PHAT staggered sh*t, 9.5 rear 8 at front, 17" rim size, tyres need to consult. any ideas?
- Coilovers (BC, Tein, considering, but due to time constraints and looks wise, might get Fox)
- Camber arms at the back obviously, slight camber wont hurt. Front adjusted by coilovers
- DUCKTAIL SPOILER: should i? really interested
- Respray Black

Ill update this thread as it goes by, but yes thanks for reading, will be keen to get my car fixed and start the build asap :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram: @_de3a_shyam995
bjk
Totes

Re: Shyam's FTO GR Build

Post by bjk »

Careful using the 'S' word around these parts. :lol: flattered to have made some impact haha.

Pm me if you wanna talk wheels lol
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Shyam995
Apprentice

Post by Shyam995 »

bjk wrote:Careful using the 'S' word around these parts. :lol: flattered to have made some impact haha.

Pm me if you wanna talk wheels lol
haha will do man, and yeah after seeing your car on the thread, just gave me more confidence about going for it :P

will discuss potential wheel options with you though in the near future.

thanks again for the inspiration and for reading the thread, :)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

No worries. ;) build what you wanna build! (within reason lol).

Tbh I wouldn't bother staggering at all. If you really want, run a lower offset at the rear (as the wheels naturally sit a bit further inside the fender, but not much). + having a square setup makes rotating tyres a hell of a lot easier.
Image Image Image Image
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

And don't park so close to gutters like in your photo
Shyam995
Apprentice

Post by Shyam995 »

Sahin wrote:And don't park so close to gutters like in your photo
called good parking bro :lol: :lol: :lol:
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I guarantee if you buy nice wheels you'll be parking further away. :lol:
Image Image Image Image
Shyam995
Apprentice

Post by Shyam995 »

bjk wrote:I guarantee if you buy nice wheels you'll be parking further away. :lol:
Definitely man, avoiding gutter rash ahaha

Speaking of wheels, what do you think of the fifteen52 tarmacs? 5 spoke wheel, could try them..
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Can't say they're particularly my style, but if you like them, get them! The custom offset thing is useful and not that much more expensive either.

Having said that I was looking at US prices and not the Aus site. For near $2k there are a lot of wheels I'd rather buy (especially since the fifteen52s are still just cast) but that's just me!