mezje's 98 GPX (Shota 2.0)

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: mezje's 98 GPX (Shota 2.0)

Post by Technikhaus »

looking nice and tidy, how'd it go at the track?
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Technikhaus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm looking nice and tidy, how'd it go at the track?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30923

A good summary can be found there

TL:DR - Ran really well and got a good time for my first time, car had more in it too. Next time will be going to semis and making a bit better of an intake from the fl foglight hole.

1:51 was the time, looking at below 1:45 with semis and a bit more experience.

Timing belt and water pump will likely need doing soon and am planning on doing it myself, just nervous about mucking up the timing :S
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Nice work man!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Figured I may as well bump this...

Had a minor prang, new fender on the way, luckily nothing else was damaged. Gotta love being under 25 though, $1000 excess!

Also got new wheels, Advan SA3R 16x8 +28, should fit real well. New sway bar links and heading back to Winton in May. Same tyres, hoping for 1:45.

Also did the timing belt, water pump, crank + cam seals, spark plugs and rocker covers. What a nightmare job but glad I did it.

Rattle ended up being my PS pump, bearing sounds fucked, makes a nice rattle as it spins even by hand. Crank keyway was fine thank god!
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

New fender on thanks to Andrew Jee on Facebook, was well packaged, just needs a respray now...

The wheels are a bit too wide, had to bash the pinch weld in and will be rolling my guards, fitment looks good at least :roll:

Will be bashing the wheel arch a little bit more this weekend and giving the wheel wells some black paint to try protect some rust.

Changed the fuel filter and should hopefully be sorting out the front sway bar bushings before track (May 12). Changed sway bar links too as they were completely fucked, nice and shiny.

Hoping the weather is a bit cooler come May, has certainly already cooled down a bit. Last track day I think put a fair bit of strain on the car (and me!), mid 30s was not fun in race attire...
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Nice work.
Make sure to post pics of the new wheels when they go on
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Here are some pics, rear could do with 20mm spacers I reckon...

Spetz if you are interested Swinburne University Car Club (SUCC) is running a timed track day at Winton, May 12 for $200. Numbers are kind of struggling so if you're keen, come! Last event I went to I had a ball as I'm sure you know. I got in a fair few laps, I think some got in over 30 so it's plenty of track time.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Looks good, what tyres are on the wheels?

I'd like to but May 12th I'll be overseas :(
How are the times allocated?
On test and tune days generally you get 20 mins each hour of track time which is a decent amount
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Grouped by estimated times, sus my track day recap for grouping. Only re003', couldnt complain for $350 fitted. One more track day on streets before I go semis
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

One of the guys I go to the track with daily drives his car + does track days with the RSR-595s and he rates them quite high for both street/track/longevity
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Hmn I have seen RSRs balloon under load, seems hit and miss.
Would rather go AD08s on a seperate set of wheels for now.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I have used and still am using the 595 rsr's
I found them to be great on and off track.
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

aza013 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:28 pm I have used and still am using the 595 rsr's
I found them to be great on and off track.
I will keep them in mind, price will end up being the deciding factor when im looking at slicks I reckon :lol:

Sadly I am almost certain this track day is getting cancelled :( More time to prepare and get stuff I guess.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

+1 on the 595 RS-R.

Had them on my 17s, and now have the RS-RR on the 18s.

RS-RR grip better than the RS-R but are much much noisier.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Fuel leak issue from the cap is now fixed.

The restrictor that is put in at compliance (gold with a little flap for the nozzle) was not sitting flush and was fairly loose, sometimes coming out with the cap. When I removed the restrictor in an attempt to fix the issue the latch fell off and down the neck, thank god for the little valve thing at the bottom of the filler neck, didn't want to go fishing...

Still kinda puzzled how the fuel was getting so high up... Pressure?

Fuel was leaking before the cap and the cap was brand new, would the restrictor not sealing really cause the system to pressurize all the way to the top of the neck?

Just got an oil change, brake bleed and a general check over now to do before track, might even take my dad for some passenger laps which should be good. He has a CL charger and is generally not a fan of jap cars. When I took him for a drive he took one look at the tacho and was like "how the f**k can this thing revv that high?".
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Well it has been over a year since I bumped this...

Got some Kaze side skirts getting painted, should be on soon!

Scanned my error codes a month or so ago and got Code 62, managed to track down another intake valve motor and the car feels like new. Power down low previously was terrible, the car really bogged down almost until mivec. Actually amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

Also had my rear tyres go bald after barely 5000kms, RE003s, 2 track days but fronts were fine. Got 2 new tyres and my alignment was way off, 22mm total toe in on the rear! All fixed now though and the car is running like a dream.

Got the factory oil temp and vac gauges from silverGPX, yet to fit them, thinking of storing them and using the mounts for Oil T and Oil Pres...

Will upload pics once the skirts are on and the fender touched up :)

This thing won't be seeing the track anymore as I now have a track car for those not on Facebook, maybe I will do a thread here showcasing it. Suzuki Swift Sport 2008, heaps of fun and was an absolute bargain, car is built almost entirely off random bits we had from my partners car. Came second at Porsche Club of Victoria's 6 hour Sandown relay, was an awesome day.