jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: DIY Day December 1st 2012

Post by -Nighthawk- »

That would be awesome if you can, I'm free most of the week / weekends now
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Bolt not coming off? You have a ring spanner to go over the tensioner? Left all my tools at work.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Don't think I have a ring spanner that fits, I'll have to check. So does the alternator come out from the top or bottom? I'm getting mixed opinions for the GR :p
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Never changed one. All mechanics don't know it's a bit of a pain to change.

I couldn't be bothered so I got quoted an hour to replace so I got that in writing and after getting a call back later that day from the mechanic telling me the alternator is a bitch to get out. I started laughing inside my head but three days later I got it back and paid for an hours labor ha.

But nothing hard though? Maybe inlet manifold or drive shaft off I think at worst???
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Don't think I have a ring spanner that fits, I'll have to check. So does the alternator come out from the top or bottom? I'm getting mixed opinions for the GR :p
What were you using then? Ratchet spanner prob too wide, spanner wont fit right on the nut as the nut sits sort of inside of the pulley.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Was using a socket set, and had an extension bar on top of that as well to try and get it to move
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Last time I did an alternator I just undid the top engine mount and kept jacking up the engine at the sump with a block of wood until I could easily access the bolt on the actual tensioner pulley with a ratchet(clearing the frame).

After that I took the drivers wheel off, drivers shock/spring out, lowered the control arm on a jack, just enough that I didn't pop the inner boot out.

Unhooked the battery.

Disconnected the alternator, undid the bolts on the alternator, jimmied it out through the gap in between the subframe and wheelarch.

To put it back in was just the reverse.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

That method has worked for me 5 times now.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

silverGPX wrote:Last time I did an alternator I just undid the top engine mount and kept jacking up the engine at the sump with a block of wood until I could easily access the bolt on the actual tensioner pulley with a ratchet(clearing the frame).

After that I took the drivers wheel off, drivers shock/spring out, lowered the control arm on a jack, just enough that I didn't pop the inner boot out.

Unhooked the battery.

Disconnected the alternator, undid the bolts on the alternator, jimmied it out through the gap in between the subframe and wheelarch.

To put it back in was just the reverse.
Is that the normal procedure?? That's crazy.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Pretty much. You could get a ring spanner and throw it in a vice and bend it to get a good grip on the nut but your gonna have to jack the engine up anyway to get the alternator out.

But that method is pretty easy.

And if I'm just a guy that spends a couple hours each weekend tinkering, you should be able to do it no dramas.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

silverGPX wrote:Pretty much. You could get a ring spanner and throw it in a vice and bend it to get a good grip on the nut
These spanners are perfect for getting to the alternator tension pulley nut...

...and the extra lenght gives you awesome leverage on all fastners.

My most favourite spanners I have ever had :P
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Doesn't everyone have these??

dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I just ground the end off a socket extension so you could use a open ended spanner on it. Put a 14mm socket on the other end and it works a treat. I agree with the rest of the procedure though. Ive done 2 or 3 now by dropping the drivers suspension and splitting the drive shaft near the gearbox.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you