Has anyone in SA done any performance mods????

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

msx110
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Has anyone in SA done any performance mods????

Post by msx110 »

I'm curios to know if any of the Adelaide FTO owners have performed any performance mods
to there cars and I'm not talking about some lowered springs or a pod filter but some slightly more
serious mods to the engine. My GPX already had a full Invidia performance exhaust fitted to it when
I bought it ( by the way if your thinking what the f@#k brand is Invidia I don't blame you I'd never heard
of it before myself but it's actually a really good American brand that's ridiculously expensive) but anyways
I've been really keen on getting some extractors changing the whole air filter unit over for a higher flowing one
maybe get my throttle body bored out to flow better as well and definitely get a bit greddy piggy back computer like
the Emanage ultimate so I can have it tuned in to match the engine mods and really get the full potential from them and
more importantly have control over the mivec cam get it coming in at a lot lower revs instead of having to weight for it to
hit that magical 5000 revolutions click over and spring into action. So if anyone has any experience with this I would be curios to hear about it, especially if the performance parts have been purchased right here in Adelaide would like to know where to go for these parts I have searched around for all these parts and even looked at full coilover suspension to replace my f@#ked out shocks and springs and I have a fairly good idea with most of it but getting a bit more info or hopefully maybe even someone with experience modifing FTO's.
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: Has anyone in SA done any performance mods????

Post by silverGPX »

Haltech ecu. Larger ram pipe. Extractors. Cai + pod filter.

Dont bother with bigger tb and intake plenum matching, waste of money.

don't play round with mivec point, any other spot results in a decrease in performance.

Once youve done above mods, come back and talk to us about a port and polish etc.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Why do you say that the larger TB and plenum matching is a waste of money?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Because a gain of 3mm is fuckall and a waste of $550?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

I sure have, most of the work I got done @ engineers as off the shelf parts are very rare and expensive I install all parts and do all my own work except machining etc feel free to PM me if you need some help or advice ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

silverGPX wrote:Because a gain of 3mm is fuckall and a waste of $550?
Yes from RPW..
I bought a 65mm TB which was a direct bolt on from a Magna for $45 + getting the flange machined out doesn't cost too much. If you can take it on/off yourself this is a fairly cheap mod.
Do you think it does not provide power improvements?
KingJames

Post by KingJames »

Hi msx110 and others,

I am selling my brand new, never used UAS Cold Air Ramp Pod Kit.

Dyno proven to give gains of between 5 & 10kws at the wheels.

This modification is the easiest, quickest and best price modification you can do for a decent power gain!

my ad can be found here

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24730

I live in Adelaide

thanks
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

spetz wrote:
Yes from RPW..
I bought a 65mm TB which was a direct bolt on from a Magna for $45 + getting the flange machined out doesn't cost too much. If you can take it on/off yourself this is a fairly cheap mod.

5mm?

Im the type of guy, that if i want a power gain, i dont want a small power gain i want a large one for my effort and $$$.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

silverGPX wrote:
spetz wrote:
Yes from RPW..

5mm?

Im the type of guy, that if i want a power gain, i dont want a small power gain i want a large one for my effort and $$$.
Well you have the wrong car then :lol: .
Big gain = BIG $$$$$ when your talking 6A12's :? .
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Hmmm, only 5mm diameter increase but 17.3% area increase.
Not saying that translates to a performance increase or not, to find out for sure would need to do back to back tests on a rolling road and also make sure that there's no other restrictions before or after the throttle body and also see if the air fuel ratio is altered by doing this and if so maybe a remap. You may find it leans the fuelling out a tad and gain power that way since they generally run a little rich.

I had a 63mm one on my old car and saw a gain on the drag strip consistently and set the quickest non-forced induction tiptronic time in the UK (still stands - maybe cause no-ones bothered about racing tips), others who did the mod in the UK didn't see a gain. I think someone also did before and after tests on the rolling road and didn't see any difference but I don't know how scientific that was.
Still up for debate in my head at least.
Oh and I "matched" my plenum by using the edge of a drill bit and a round file, cost me nothing, just a few quid for the throttle body boring out and a new butterfly.
Interested to know what model Magna the 65mm one is off.
Edit: Can the plenum be taken out to 65mm without an adapter plate having to be welded on I mean is there enough material?

In any case I don't think it's something i'm going to do with my forced induction setup unless I come across a GX throttle body with is already 63mm.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

SilverGPX, with a motor that in it's naturally aspirated form produces 100hp per liter, it isn't possible to get a lot of gains from little outlay.

Rob, RPW claims it needs rewelding, personally I have no checked too much as the car isn't driven and I haven't bored out the plenum.

The 65mm TB is standard on all V6 3rd Gen Magnas
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

spetz wrote:Rob, RPW claims it needs rewelding, personally I have no checked too much as the car isn't driven and I haven't bored out the plenum.

When I took my old one out to 63mm I don't think there was loads of material left but I would have thought enough without a reweld, will have a look next time I take a plenum off.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Rob Furniss wrote:
spetz wrote:Rob, RPW claims it needs rewelding, personally I have no checked too much as the car isn't driven and I haven't bored out the plenum.

When I took my old one out to 63mm I don't think there was loads of material left but I would have thought enough without a reweld, will have a look next time I take a plenum off.
Correct, you run into a vac gallery if you go further without welding.

BTW, 3rd gen Magna TBs are ass about. Ie reversed, TPS on the rear, throttle cable spring return is on the front. Been there, tried that.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Bennoz, my car has a 3rd gen TB on it for sure as I pulled it off a Magna + it still has the cruise control accessories on it

Also, the welding will be done on the plenum mouth?
I had a look with the butterfly open and it seems that it is on the upper part (facing the hood) that there is excess metal causing a bottleneck