Suggestions

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Suggestions

Post by dstocks »

Car will be on the road very soon and I need to replace the Japanese stereo with something that works over here (and is black instead of silver)

Can i get some opinions/answers on the following:

Anyone can suggest a suitable entry level double din in car DVD player. I dont think I would get the value out of a 'top of the range' item.

Is the FTO double din space a standard size

should I be looking at a fixed screen or one of the ones that slides out

is there anything I should look to avoid/watch out for

what sort of features are a must

Must admit, dont know much about this kind of stuff. Any pointers would be great.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    eThix
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

I like the full screen double dins :) also did you want a GPS?
    also a few questions from me
    *Can the DVD double dins produce good sound?
    *Can you use the GPS and have music on at the same time?
    *and whats a good brand?
    FtoSam
    Oldtimer

Re: Suggestions

Post by FtoSam »

dstocks wrote:Car will be on the road very soon and I need to replace the Japanese stereo with something that works over here (and is black instead of silver)

Can i get some opinions/answers on the following:

Anyone can suggest a suitable entry level double din in car DVD player. I dont think I would get the value out of a 'top of the range' item.

is there anything I should look to avoid/watch out for

Must admit, dont know much about this kind of stuff. Any pointers would be great.

Righto.

You're best off to have a look around. Find what you like. If you wish to save $$, go for a single DIN and fill the space with a DIN filler (also handy to chuck stuff into). The brand i would most recomend is pioneer. Pure quality, no fart arsin around.

Yes, it is a standard Double Din Space. Fits perfectly a CD player and DIN filler

It depends on your budget. I have the touch screen 7" Pioneer 6 stack. Over $2k but worth it. If you're on a budget then dual systems are cheaper with seperate dvd/cd and Fold out screen combo. Both are good units as lnog as they're decent brands.

is there anything I should look to avoid/watch out forAvoid no-name brands like the plague. Try and get triple RCA outs (Front, Rear, Sub) if you can. Also try and get a HPF/LPF built into the unit to help with distortion.

Absolute must is an MP3 Function. Also pioneer offer a steering wheel mounted remote which is McFkin Awesome! Other than that, It depends on what you want out of it and what your budget is.

Anymore info, please let us know what price range you're looking at

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
    msbchi
    Grease Monkey

Pioneer

Post by msbchi »

This is probably the most vexxing decision you'll have to make. Amps and speakers are easy in comparison, altho I wuoldn't touch Pioneer speakers their head units are excellent, OR WERE but they are way over priced and are obsolete. The double din cd/dvd with GPS sold for $4000 12 months ago, they are now less than $2000 and soon will be half that again. I would suggest you buy the generic copy (there's one on Ebay for $600) uses Sony, Panasonc components and is better than the Pioneer because it has USB/SD inputs. The latest models also have dedicated sub outputs and bluetooth which to me is worth the extra cost because it pays for itself in avoided fines. However if you're really serious then you should wait for 6-12 months as all these head units will be redundant being replaced by in car computers. They are already on the market (double din for around $2000) but they are not quite up to scatch yet. I'm in the process of buying the generic JVC 4in DVD,CD w/USB,SD & bluetooth and will attatch a seperate 6 in sceen in the console and maybe one it the visor