No music = Sad FTO

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nicholas
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

No music = Sad FTO

Post by nicholas »

Hey all,

After all the rain we've had in Syd over the last few days... well, my car has been hiding in the garage most of the time but it was parked outside last night and apparently my boot leaks... conveniently leaks into my alpine 12-cd stacker too.

I discovered my stacker was all wet this morning... it hasn't worked since I bought the car anyway so I wasn't too worried... gave it a poke to see if the rain had made it work again, lol, and then gave up and went inside.

Came back out to drive somewhere else a couple of minutes later, jumped in and discovered that my head deck now doesn't work at all (Alpine too). I was listening to an MP3 cd but that won't work anymore. The only button that works is the one that changes source (Disc -> Stacker -> Tuner) but none of these work now.

Seems like it has something to do with the stacker getting wet (the head deck was working until I poked the stacker this morning). What do you guys reckon? Do you think that if I disconnect the stacker (was planning on it anyway) that the headdeck should be okay? Or do you think it's possible that it's caused some sorta damage to the head deck (even though the stacker is the only thing that got wet?)

Hope it dries out and starts working again! :(
messy
Grease Monkey

Post by messy »

im assuming the stacker is connected but u dont use it?? have you checked to make sure no other wiring / amps have been wet??

I had some probs the other day -hit a bump and my right channel carked it! hopefully just wiring :roll:
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Yeah yeah, stacker is connected but I don't use it.
Anyway, as predicted, it started working again later in the day :D

Good times!
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

something tht got wet probably dried up! id still check to see what was wrong though... to make sure it doesnt happen again
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Yeah, good call that.

Its just that I'm in the exam period at the moment, as you are too :D Fun, isn't it?

I've got an older alpine 12 stack in the garage, after exams are done i'll pull the currently installed one out, and if i can't make it work, i'll put the one from the garage in instead. Will keep you all posted.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Okay, so seeing as I'm supposed to be studying for exams at the moment, the logical thing to do was to pull my boot apart to get at my CD stacker.

That turned out to be quite an adventure in itself, but eventually I ended up with a fully re-assembled boot, minus the CD stacker, on which I set to work with a screwdriver or three.

Those who aren't aware, Alpine stackers are bloody hard to get into if you don't know what you're doing... but once I got the metal case off, I had to disconnect all of the little springs and rubber circle things... they hold the actual stacker sort of suspended within the metal cage, to make it less susceptible to vibrations from the car... pretty clever but a pain to get at.

I found that the entire mechanism was locking up for some reason or another. Took it all back out to the car, plugged it in and tried to make the little cog wheels turn while pressing the eject button. Eventually, just like magic, it unseized itself and started working. Did it a couple more times to make sure of it. It jammed once more, but seemed okay otherwise.

So now I'm off to shove it back in my car, and we'll see what happens. If it stuffs up again, I'll chuck it.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

More rain, stopped working again.
It's coming out when I get a chance, stupid stacker.