Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Ralph_Shang
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

still engine noise.....help

Post by Ralph_Shang »

now a new problem coming~

my engine is DE3A0101083, My mechanic checked the engine already, the engine is a GPX engine with MIVEC.

the problem now is the Tappet been adjusted, surely follow the article of DIY forums.

the noise same as before, or just a little bit quite sometimes...

Engine oil: Mobile 1, 5W-50...
OIL Filter: Mitsubishi ..
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Hmmm ... Get a new mechanic ... lol ...

Seriously though, I have read the sticky about the FTO oils, and I think you are the first to have 5w50 ...

From what I have seen, the most common that people swear by are:

10W30 or 5W30
10W40 or 5W40

I have the 5W40 and thought that it was going to be a little to thin ... But it has worked a treat, and I am more then happy with it...

Read the oil thread and go from there... If you can't find it, let me know and I will re-post with the link....
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Without hearing the noise...no one can really 100% tell you what the problem is. Are you able to get a recording of it ?

I'm running Mobil 5w-50 as well, but with nulon performance treatment too. My tappets are also loud but if it makes you feel better, it doesn't really affect the performance of the engine (at least in my case).
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

From what you've said, I am inclined to agree with Rock_it, get a new mechanic ...

if you don't adjust the tappets properly it will make the noise worse ... Just take it to a recommended FTO mechanic in your state & you will get the job done right the first time & not only save money, but you will save yourself a lot of headaches ...

trust me, I tried a few different mechanics before I bit the bullet & took my car down to Joe & Ricks on the Gold Coast ... I wasted hundreds of dollars in the process & had the other mechs causing more problems than they fixed.. in future if I need mechanical work done, J&R's is the only place I will be taking my car.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

also have a isten to you injectors as some of them are noisey to and they sound alittle like a tappet noise.
as I was once told a happy injector is a noisey injecter :?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Where do you live ???
Ralph_Shang
Apprentice

Post by Ralph_Shang »

Lidcombe 2141... mechanic cannot help with it...

noise too loud, not like the injecter
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

50wt oil is too thick...the cold start viscosity is so thick that your engine wear would be at its maximum for the first few minutes every day. Switch to 30wt, use a good OEM oil filter or a K&N however I doubt its gonna help the noise.

if the noise is loud then they havnt been adjusted. Is the noise at startup or when at op temp or all the time?

at start-up only - dont worry
at op temp or all the time - they need adjustment

Can it be adjusted? yes

How to do it? Get someone who has a clue. Your in NSW, go ask in the NSW section and get it done, they will know.
Ralph_Shang
Apprentice

Post by Ralph_Shang »

thanks everyone,

is that possible the problem with the lifters? imean if the lifter broken itself, even been adjusted, but still a noise here.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I know what you mean, you have the tappets adjusted and there is still a noise there, right now I have gone back to using Castrol Magnatic 10w 40 I have found it is the best at keeping the engine quiet, but there could be a change that the tappets weren't set correctly.

I have played with the clearance settings, factory clearance are .10 mm intake and .13 mm exhaust, I have tighten them this made the noise pretty much gone but your valves won't close properly and you lose manifold vacuum and get a popping sound in the exhaust, then increasing the clearance didn't make it any better.

The adjuster screw has a plastic collet which holds a metal pad, is common for the collet to bread over time, this causes a noise aswell.

Also I have a theory of what could cause noise, I got nothing to back it up, but anyway the tappet adjustment is only done on the low speed cam rocker arm as it is the one that pushes the valves open, but there is a rocker arm on the high speed cam lobe, when the hydraulic pin isn't active the high speed rocker arm just follows the high speed cam lobe and from what I can see it only has a spring washer to control its clearance, over time that spring washer may lose its strength then the clearance goes out causing it to be noisy.

Hope that helps, I've adjusted my tappets 3 times already in the last 5000 km and I've got a 94 GPX with 60,000 km, my tappets are pretty quiet, you only start to hear them once its warm, but then they are still quiet.
Ralph_Shang
Apprentice

Post by Ralph_Shang »

thanks 4 the great informations, the plastic collet someone also mentioned once, dont know what it is... do I have to by this litle stuff and change it?

so now I need to do is 1.Adjust the tappet again. 2. change the oil to 10w-40 (how about the mitsubishi engine oil 15w-40, is that may give more help on the noise?)
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

it will help, but I don't think is will do much.

with the plastic collet, you have to replace the whole adjuster screw and replacing that is a big job, you have to remove the timing belt and the top half of the head.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

here I found a pic of the adjuster screw, you can see the crack in the collet, when the collet cracks it can't hold the metal pad on the screw.

It's a pretty big job, Its probably best to replace them when you are getting the timing belt replaced, and I got the new adjuster from Joe & Ricks.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Lifters on Mitsubishi engines around the FTO time sucks! Everyone knows that!

I still get a tap here and there, but sh*t design and also ageing engines, dont expect too much.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Re:

Post by Nacho »

bigpitty1 wrote:Image
here I found a pic of the adjuster screw, you can see the crack in the collet, when the collet cracks it can't hold the metal pad on the screw.

It's a pretty big job, Its probably best to replace them when you are getting the timing belt replaced, and I got the new adjuster from Joe & Ricks.
Bumping this thread. Can someone elaborate on pulling the whole head just to replace the adjustment screw with a cracked collet?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.