Few Q's on a Custom Sub Box

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Kustom
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Few Q's on a Custom Sub Box

Post by Kustom »

Hey guys,

I'm looking into making a custom sub box for the boot of my car, and considering i dont even have a jack, i was thinking about taking out my spare tyre (i'm guessing it came with all FTO's (the really small thin one.. wouldn't get me far anyway))..

(I have yet to choose my audio components btw)
(atm all i know is i want atleast 2 subs, 2 amps, and maybe more)... lol :P

Personally I don't really like the look of Amps to much so i was thinking maybe to fibre glass the bottom where the tyre was and making a platform there to have my 2 amps.

And then just making custom boxes that fit into the boot of the boot of the FTO. now one of the questions for you audio people out there.

Do I need to find out and know specific dimensions? Will it affect the sound quality? Or yeah.. whats the deal.

Also, I was thinking maybe getting 3 subs, or 4. I want like 2 different sizes. And them all to be the same brand obviously. The reason i want them different sizes is basically just for looks, for example to have them like o O o ... lol If you understand or.. o O O o .. But yeah.

So if any of you guys know any specials happening at, where ever, of some decent brands, definatly not top of the range crap cos i'm reasonably cheap and just want some doof doof .. :)

Anyway, hopefully I didn't confuse you guys. :P
Kustom_FTO
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Re: Few Q's on a Custom Sub Box

Post by BorepYano »

u wont have enough space in your boot for 4 subs, well u'll have space for the 4 subs but you wont have sufficient space for the sub boxes (at least not space enough for them to work properly, i.e. you'll need enough space for the sound from the sub to resonate)

and i dont think it's going to be a good idea to completely seal your amps in, they produce a lot of heat.
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Ahh yeah forgot abuot the heat from the amps. Oh well.. Sure I cant fit 4 subs ? Oh man thats just sad :( . Lol
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Kustom_FTO wrote:Ahh yeah forgot abuot the heat from the amps. Oh well.. Sure I cant fit 4 subs ? Oh man thats just sad :( . Lol
as i said you can. but it's not going to sound as good

remember that sub box i showed you at mine with the 3 subs?
for those subs i should really only have 2 subs in that box. and that sub box does take up virtually the whole boot.

i'd probably suggest figuring out how much room you got to play with, then look into what kind of subs you want.

you can get subs that dont need boxes, as well... so they say anyway.
probably talk to the ppl working at the audio places.

and please please for the love of god don't get anything stupid like a 15". - even if it sounds like a good idea at the time, but whatever imaginary penis extension it gives you will soon be out weighed by the sloppy sound quality (generally for R+B, hip pop etc, a 15" sub's speaker cone will not be able to return to it's resting position before the next beat, so you'll just hear one continuous loud "i'm over compensating for my other short falls")

all depends on what you want the sound system for i guess.
if it's just for show, then go nuts and rattle your car into pieces, but if it's just for good sound and personal enjoyment, then a good set of 6x9s and dynomat are worth their wait in gold.
kiz wrote:
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Na i wasn't thinking 15" lol.
I was more thinking like 10 and 12" ..

Hmm maybe just 3 subs? :O:O:O
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Didnt Miss FTO have 4 subs??
Robbie
Mechanic

Post by Robbie »

I thought she had a mirror in there, which made it look like 4 subs. Not 100% though.
MCA Garage: http://www.mitsubishiclubaustralia.com/forums/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1242
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

kiz wrote:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah thats it, 4 subs and a mirror which made it look like 8. Must admit that was a pretty nice set up
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Yeh that looked preety sick, though not really what I was after... though, lol. Maybe ill just go for 3 or 2 subs :(
Sophia
Mechanic

Post by Sophia »

BorepYano wrote:http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules/gal ... c6391cf896
looks like 4 subs and a mirror
MY GOD!!!!! WANT SO BAD!!!!

that is so insane, thumbs up to her :)
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

wonder whatever happened to that bat mobile anyway...

and stef, 1x 12" and 2x 10" will be a pretty good set up (should have enough room for a proper install, or you can replace the back of the back seats with fg and put subs in them.... (or cut out most of the back and custom fit a sub box or 2 in there facing the cabin with a mesh grill (like the ones on the door speakers)
it wont be comfortable for the passengers, but... that's their problem lol
kiz wrote:
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

BorepYano wrote:wonder whatever happened to that bat mobile anyway...

and stef, 1x 12" and 2x 10" will be a pretty good set up (should have enough room for a proper install, or you can replace the back of the back seats with fg and put subs in them.... (or cut out most of the back and custom fit a sub box or 2 in there facing the cabin with a mesh grill (like the ones on the door speakers)
it wont be comfortable for the passengers, but... that's their problem lol
Yeah thats like what i was thinking, i think :P..
Watcha doing next week bro? :P Wanna give us a hand :D xD
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

If you're ever in Toowoomba, come see me at WOW, in the car audio section. I'm happy to work out an entire system for you and will of course provide a discount to a fellow FTO owner.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Kustom_FTO wrote:Watcha doing next week bro? :P Wanna give us a hand :D xD
oh god.. you are talking to me arent you... lol
what r u planning? and remember I am a complete noob with car audio.

tell me u r not thinking about fg for the back seat, 1. i cant guarantee that i can do it, 2. i can't guarantee i won't wreck your seats (notice how i said yours, and not using mine? lol), 3. even if i can it'll take me days/weeks to do something that big. 4. it's going to cost you (FG raw material you are looking at about $100 as it is, then you'll need new seat covers etc)

with that said. I'm free for a few hrs on wed during the day, (might be able to do monday, but i wont know till sunday), i'm happy to come around and we can have a chat and do some planning?

at least u r getting me motivated to do crap to cars again lol
kiz wrote:
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

pete_gpx wrote:If you're ever in Toowoomba, come see me at WOW, in the car audio section. I'm happy to work out an entire system for you and will of course provide a discount to a fellow FTO owner.
Yeah bro for sure, i go up to toowoomba every now and then to see my grandma who lives in pitsworth so yeah - i'll take you up on that :P Could you PM me your mobile # and I'll txt ya to see when is good ? ;)

Thanks dude.
BorepYano wrote:
Kustom_FTO wrote:Watcha doing next week bro? :P Wanna give us a hand :D xD
oh god.. you are talking to me arent you... lol
what r you planning? and remember I am a complete noob with car audio.

tell me you r not thinking about fg for the back seat, 1. i cant guarantee that i can do it, 2. i can't guarantee i won't wreck your seats (notice how i said yours, and not using mine? lol), 3. even if i can it'll take me days/weeks to do something that big. 4. it's going to cost you (FG raw material you are looking at about $100 as it is, then you'll need new seat covers etc)

with that said. I'm free for a few hrs on wed during the day, (might be able to do monday, but i wont know till sunday), i'm happy to come around and we can have a chat and do some planning?

at least you r getting me motivated to do crap to cars again lol
Haha yeah bro i'll get you motivated so much that you will quit again :P:P haha .. Well atm i'm preety dam motivated in doing sh*t to my car so yeh, umm yeah we should organise a day to just plan out sh*t to do..

i'm preety srs bout doing crap... so yeah. i'm keen if you are :P haha.

Keep in touch dude,
laters

Kustom_FTO
Fto_Jason
Grease Monkey

Post by Fto_Jason »

[quote="BorepYano"]wonder whatever happened to that bat mobile anyway...

hehe Well i saw the batmobile without its original owner not too long ago at a party.. She sold to a greek guy in Rochedale.. but then he was trying to sell it for a while. it was on carsales for a bit but i cant see it anymore, so im guessing its been sold again?
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

has no one else picked up on the 2 diff sized subs thats prob one of the biggest no nos in car audio u will get a eco affect as the 10s will be faster then the 12s and so on will also produce a diff sound your honestly better off with 1 good sub then 10 bad ones yea the 10 bad ones will be loud but will sound like ass may as well have a kid in your back seat baging on pots and pans 2 sets of good 10s would be more then enough also you dont need as big amp to power them you could settle for 2 subs one mono amp but always run your subs in seprate air space that way if one goes the other wont sound like sh*t being in a box double its specs
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

bduffman wrote:has no one else picked up on the 2 diff sized subs thats prob one of the biggest no nos in car audio you will get a eco affect as the 10s will be faster then the 12s
hes nearly right. smaller subs moving at a higher speed than larger subs is a myth BUT mixing subs of different subs is a no-no. you can get cancellation amongst other things.
nathan
Grease Monkey

Post by nathan »

lol stupidly enough i went with a clarion 15" sub mated to a 1500WRMS Option Audio amp

sounds CRAZY loud but really nice on low gain, beats ok but i jus stay away from that techno lol

but then again i raped alternator with it lol

capasitor here i come lol