Help with fitting component speakers

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xSlurpee
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Help with fitting component speakers

Post by xSlurpee »

Hey guys, i think its time for some sound in my FTO (when bought it didnt even have a HU or any speakers lol)
soo i been bumming around the I.C.E section and gonna follow the sound advice from Sam and not have 6x9's and instead use 4" splits as i got 2 1200watt kenwood sub powered by some US Ausio Beserk Amp (dont know any specs on them, but is the brand any good?)
Okay off that, and onto question would these Fusion component fit the FTO?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fusion-NV-Series ... dZViewItem

i plan on 6.5" for the fronts and 4" to replace where 6x9's go, and what amp do you recommend me getting to power my splits? Is there any recommended place for installation in NSW?
Thanks in advance :D [/url]
pimped
Grease Monkey

Post by pimped »

i'm pretty sure stock speakers are 6 inch but you can fit 6.5 inch if you make a mould using MDF. Not hard to do, just need a jigsaw and some mdf.

putting 4 inch speakers into the back will be harder than putting in 6x9s. again you'll need to make a MDF mould for the rear speakers. Your better leaving the stock speakers in then replacing them with 4 inch speakers IMO.

What amp you buy is dependant on the speakers and the head unit your gonna get. I've never heard of that brand you got. You should stick with brands that you have heard of because there's lot of cheap and nasty amps on the market that are just a fire hazards. Alpine and JL audio do pretty good gear.

My advice is to go to your local car audio shop and listen to some speakers before you go buying anything.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

thank heaps man ... yeah i got no clue about the amp i got, i bought some sub and it came with us audio brand amp from dB ... but i went to 2 strathfield and jb hifi just today (yay lets spend money coz its hump day + pay day) i made my decisions on splits and 6x9's. during todays visit i also fell in love with a sexy 6" pioneer sub thats slim and small as + weights 2kg....yet produces 800watts
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Personally i wouldnt touch fusion. Stick with the major brands as said before. Im not a huge fan of subs so i will not comment on them. I will however suggest that you amp all your speakers, they will sound better (way better) and will last longer.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

well, im sure the last thing you want is to slow down your mean green machine with a 50kg sub eh simon?

also, is it a good idea to get component speakers (like tweeters and crossover seperate) or them built in tweeter & crossover splits?

thought i'd work on my ICE & RICE as i still got awhile before im able to "legally" drive alone :lol:
craigt
Apprentice

Post by craigt »

it's been said before ... go with what sounds good to your ears ...listen to as many sets of splits you can and even if they seem really expensive at the time put em on lay buy and pay them off.
use the experience of others to guide you not some sales pitch. a good sales man will have patients and let you decide which speaker you like, not the first ones you hear.
6.5in speakers are std fitment in fto's in the doors.
i used MB Quart reference 6.5 splits as i have experience in fitting these before.
4" speaker will have bad power handling better to use a good quallity 6" co-axial rockfordfosgate make a nice one.just make some 10mm or 12mm mdf cut out to mount the 6" in the 6x9 hole make sure this seals nice and maby put some sound deadner on the parcel shelf.
use a nice(read name brand) 4ch or 5ch amp (if you want sub) to power everything.
keep sub but turf the amp ....
craig
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

Thanks for that mate, i've decided my splits and 6x9's and 720watt 4chan amp. Just waiting till xmas when they are on sale price abit and im gonna get them in the car :D
dr390
Mechanic

Re: Help with fitting component speakers

Post by dr390 »

im plannin to install my subs in my 1996 gpx, is there a hole already where the leads would go from the head unit or do i have to drill one, cause i serzly cant find one?
Tell me when i stop

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

8O 2 Year old thread revival !

Leads? They go from your head unit to your amp then to your sub? and your Amp goes to your battery & earth.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

i still dont know where the hole is in the engine bay, -.-
Tell me when i stop

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

passanger side. You will need to lay on your back and look up under and behind the glove box. You will need a torch.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

do i need to unscrew anything? on oks
Tell me when i stop

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nope.

There is a little black rubber grommet. GO to the engine bay look at the firewall by your battery and qtr way down you will see a black grommet. Pull the grommet out. Then go inside the cabin and look up from the floor and you will see where the light is coming in.
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

is this the black rubber grommet?
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/dsc00204zv.jpg/
sorry man im still newbie on this forum -.-
Tell me when i stop

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nope
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

sh*t -.- i think im gonna need visual aid, im sorry
Tell me when i stop

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Its up higher and more towards the side of the car. Behind your a/c evaporator
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

oh oks thanks
Tell me when i stop