Spark plug leads..

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: coil packs

Post by FTO338 »

GWIDO wrote: have any of you actually pulled the coil packs of because there are no wires between the front and back, there is a coil pack which fires down onto the front plug and across into the lead that goes to the back plug. It is a sealed unit and probably oil filled.
Yep, sure did, i even took some pics of the different in size of the lead too. I changed mine at the same time i changed my spark plugs.

I change them to a larger one cause it didn't cost much to "upgrade" them & also one mechanic told me once, that spark plug's leads are like spark plugs, you have to change them as well. But probably once every 2nd or 3rd set of platinum plugs
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

So.....
Let me try and some up what has been said so far.
And ask questions at the same time....

Does that mean you need to change the leads or not?
If so, what brand and where and how much?
Otherwise, do you also need to upgrade the coil packs as well?
And if you do upgrade the lead, does it mean to upgrade three or all six leads? Or are there more?? :oops:

Please let me know.

Thank you all,
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

There are only 3 leads

Upgrade the coil pack if you got lots of money & if you can find one.

Leads should be change, even to another new set of standard factory one to keep the car running at its optimum level.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Thank you guys,

I will do that.

Now GWIDO, the leads you have, are they the ones that are linking to the rear bank?
The long ones?
If they are then please let me know how I can grab a hold of them.
Maybe you want to send them to me and I'll direct deposit the postage to your account or some thing....
You are from Mel right?

Please let me know.

Thank you guys!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I believe GWIDO is from WA, but i'm from Melb ehehehe :twisted: But spend half of my life in Syd for the past 4yrs.

Anyway if you looking for Magnecor spark plugs lead in Syd, you can get them from

Thundercords
Unit 2, 20 Crescent Street,
GRANVILLE, NSW 2142

Phone: (02) 9897-3777
Fax: (02) 9897-3776

Conatct: Bob or Neil
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hello,

And I expect they are specifically for the FTO?
So the pack comes with 3 leads? Or more?
And how much were they for you?

Thank you very much....
Isn't it funny how you get a lot of advices from people about your own city or town by some one else who doesn't even live there?
:oops:

Thank you FTO338, I'll give them a try.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

fto12345 wrote:Hello,

And I expect they are specifically for the FTO?
So the pack comes with 3 leads? Or more?
And how much were they for you?

Thank you very much....
Isn't it funny how you get a lot of advices from people about your own city or town by some one else who doesn't even live there?
:oops:

Thank you FTO338, I'll give them a try.
Hmmm i spend half of my life in syd for the pass 4yrs, so it helps :D

Anyway, they custom make each lead for you so you have to bring your own one in, & they make it within couple of hrs. But this was 2-3 yrs ago, so they probably know the measurement by now.
GWIDO
Apprentice

leads

Post by GWIDO »

there are only three actual leads for the fto.
the other bits are the rubber things that hold them on the plugs. I dont think that these have to be replaced you just fit them to the new leads.

if you can get them locally i would advise it rather than getting them made.
Mine come from NZ and cost about $150 i think so local is the way to go.
else yea, i will PM you my details.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

nope the extra attachment that goes through the head has to be replaced with the leads.

If there isnt a misfire, there is no need to replace the leads imo.

If it worries you so much a good way is to measure the resistance of the leads, if they are inside tolerances, they are fine.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

By the way I forgot to ask if the manecor spark plug leads are any good?

I guess there are quite a lot of these brands out these days and I have seen some that are pretty bad and yet they sell it for an expensive price, where as some are quite good and they are worth the price....but haven't seen one for FTO yet!
SO....

Hence the question to see if this brand is worth while getting..

Please let me know as I might even get a chance to buy this tomorrow some time.

Thanks guys,
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I believe magnecor has been in the racing scene since the 80 (maybe 70s), if they've been around that long, I'm inclined to trust them.

Anyways, for the part number, I've been in contact with them the past month, I've got the part numbers at work for the FTO. I'll post them here tomorrow.

I'm actually going to order a set this week, I'll probably get it in two weeks *shrugs*

Thundercords should be able to make it within a few days, they're the primary distrubutor for AU =)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

magneor are a good brand for spark plug leads... they've been around a while and are well respected
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Oh, to clear up any confusion, the three leads that are to be replaced by the magnecor leads (or any other after market leads) are the ones leading into the coil packs from the ignition module. Not the ones from the coil pack to the rear bank spark plugs.

Leads are also consumable items as FTO338 said. Although they last a while, anything that carries that amount of current will detoriate over time.

I don't think the smaller leads are as much of an issue as the current isn't high across it, just the potiental difference (voltage) is.

For those physics people, refer to Ohm's law, power equations and induction =)
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

ah i thought those leads are for the three sparks in the rear bank to the coil packs?

If people are worried about their sparks being stuffed, a good way is to hook it up to a multimeter, measure the resistance, if the reading is within toleranaces, their is no need to replace them.

The FTO have a top set of leads, their last a long time imo.

If you GR owners require a change of leads from coil packs to rear bank of sparks, Top Gun make them, Autobarn in Eltham Melbourne have a set, around 80 bucks i think.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hello,

Just another quick stupid question.

I don't understand by what you mean about the leads replacing the ones from the ignition module to the coil packs?

Do you have any pics or some thing?
Cause isn't it that the coil packs attach direct to the front bank, and from the coil pack the leads extend out to the rear bank?

I don't get which is the one you need to replace?

Thank you,
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

yeah never heard of these as well. All they are is normal wire?
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Sorry I don't have pics at the moment but I might have when I get my leads done in a few weeks =)

The coil packs are directly above the front bank spark plugs. I'm talking about the leads that come from this coil pack out the front and off to the left hand side of the car (if I remember correctly) .

Now I'd always assumed that the leads that were to be replaced are the high current leads between the ignition module and the coil pack. I'm getting verification on this now, but I don't see the need to have the high voltage leads replaced unless they were worn.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

As far as I know there are only one wire coming out of the coil pack that gets connected to the rear bank!

I just pulled my rocker cover off last week!

I don't understand about this other wire you are talking about!

Thanks,
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

there are three coils on the front, one for each spark plug. Then going from each coil, there is a lead running off each one to the rear bank.

So three coils, three leads.

MADFTO, they are the leads! There wires running from i guess the ignition module to the coils, they run from the right on engine bad into coil packs.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

well if they are the ones to replace then how do you replace them?
Does the wires off the coil pack to the rear bank come off the coil pack?
Otherwise, how do you replace them?

Thanks,