Servicing - How often?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Servicing - How often?

Post by spetz »

Hi guys,

I have the new Audi A4 as a daily driver and it's showing up a message to take it in for a service.
The thing is, I did the service 1 year ago (hence the message) but only driven 8,000km or so, and recently did an oil change.

Do I really need to take it for a service?
And what would they do there seeing as filters and plugs are 8,000km old, and oil is somewhere around 1,000km old.

Thanks
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: Servicing - How often?

Post by silverGPX »

They'll probably need to plug it in to clear that message.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Its probably going off a time interval, does it have time and date on the dash?
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

Don't think it's clever enough to know you've changed your oil.

As per what silvergpx said, it should just be the Audi service guy plug-in and key-in the next service date every time he finished rubbing one out'
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Actually it has separate counters for service and oil changes, and it knows the oil has been changed recently.

I am not worried about the message, it just makes a chime when I switch the car on or off, and it tells me service is due. What I want to know is whether I should get it serviced or just clear the message?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Well depends on how many kms the car has actually done.

You've got your major services at 100,000km intervals (timing belt and water pump)

50,000km intervals gearbox oil and suspension bushings.

(Approximately)
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

spetz wrote:Actually it has separate counters for service and oil changes, and it knows the oil has been changed recently.
That maybe because it requires 5k oil/filter changes and 10-15k services

If it's a brand new car you should get the services done as per manufactures intervals to keep your warranty.
Cars these days will alert you for servicing at either 5k, 10k or 15k depending on make, the service book in the glove box will tell you what each service involves.
I service many different cars at work, I clear the service alert and set a new one, most I can change the Km's until next service, some are automaticly set.
All the cars I have serviced are reset from buttons on the steering wheel or dash....VW, Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Nissan...
The instructions for reseting may be in the owners manual, service book or google.
I guess some have to have a computer plugged in to do it, but I have not come accross one at work yet.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

As Phil said it is best to go get it serviced anyway, so they can logbook it and the car stays in warranty etc.
Services are sometimes specific to the car, and will not always be at set intervals like silvergpx said, some cars require 90k major services, some 120k etc
Services are always based upon 'x' kilometers or 'x' time - whichever comes first, in this case im assuming time being a year ago.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Go get a Bluetooth OBD adaptor & download the Torque app to any Android phone. Clear the message for less than $25, plus have the ability to be able to do it again. Plus Torque is an awesome app.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Bennoz wrote:Go get a Bluetooth OBD adaptor & download the Torque app to any Android phone. Clear the message for less than $25, plus have the ability to be able to do it again. Plus Torque is an awesome app.
Is there anything like that for the fto bennoz as I know Mitsubishi don't use OBD
gotta get there one day :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Evoscan!
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Yeah mut 2 connectors. Not sure if torque supports it though. Evoscan is for some 200 bucks right?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Bennoz wrote:
ZFL45H1 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Go get a Bluetooth OBD adaptor & download the Torque app to any Android phone. Clear the message for less than $25, plus have the ability to be able to do it again. Plus Torque is an awesome app.
Is there anything like that for the fto bennoz as I know Mitsubishi don't use OBD
Evoscan!
.....and.....

:lol:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

catscan
catscan
641d431f-3a95-4732-a13c-59f3460c4708.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

PHIL069 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
ZFL45H1 wrote:
Evoscan!
.....and.....

:lol:
how much is the Gscan for? Navigating through their website = finding Megan Fox' mobile number :|
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Toooooooooooooo EXPENSIVE!

It's designed for workshops to scan most cars, trucks and plant.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Evo scan is less than $150 from memory...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

PHIL069 wrote:Toooooooooooooo EXPENSIVE!

damn! Evoscan is the only option then.
Anyone here got Evoscan? Can they check if it works with Torque? I can get you the Torque apk if you have an android smartphone.

Android tablet used as the centre entertainment unit..with Torque running on it connected with the car :)
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I'm very tempted to get an evoscan soon...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

shadowarrior wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:Toooooooooooooo EXPENSIVE!

damn! Evoscan is the only option then.
Anyone here got Evoscan? Can they check if it works with Torque? I can get you the Torque apk if you have an android smartphone.

Android tablet used as the centre entertainment unit..with Torque running on it connected with the car :)

CHR1S has an evoscan, lost his number though.

He has facebook "Chris Hyett", he lives in Brisbane\Ipswich area.