Decisions, decisions :)

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

XenaP
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Decisions, decisions :)

Post by XenaP »

I have a couple of questions/opinions wanted for my upcoming foray into the world of in-car entertainment :)
My car currently has a Clarion double din DVD touchscreen, which I don't like. I find the dvd screens too distracting so I'm going to replace it with this JVC head unit ... http://www.jvc.com.au/car-av/head-units/kw-r700bt. Unless there is something drastically wrong with it, that's the one I definitely want. USB, AUX, bluetooth and a colour changer. Everything I want ;)

There's an amp in the car already. It's only a 2 channel rigged up to the front door speakers. A Kenwood KAC-7204 which I was thinking about using for a sub or pair of subs and getting a new 4 channel amp for the speakers. A JVC (yes it's my favourite brand of stereo equipment lol) http://www.jvc.com.au/car-av/amplifiers/ks-ax3104
I did buy an amp from Autobarn the other day but I'm planning on taking it back. Buyers remorse lol It's an Option Audio OAK75. It was on special and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have 6x9 Kicker's in the parcel shelf - hooked up to nothing, and what sounds like nothing special in the doors. If it would stop raining for 5 frigging minutes I could take a look. PITFA not having a garage :/ There is also what I assume to be 4 tweeters, 2 on each door. My guess is the guy who owned this car before me just left me the crappy amp hooked up to the front speakers and took the good stuff with him :(

I don't have any sub/s yet. Was considering this ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200892593061 ... 1423.l2649
If I get a pair (which I'd prefer) I'd like to go down to 8" or 10" max. Something along the lines of these ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-KICKER-C1 ... 2c5ed7e306. I still want to be able to use the boot as a boot considering how hard it is to get shopping out of the back seat lol I can build a sub box no problem. When it comes to building stuff, girly I am not :lol:

So my question is basically will this work? Am I at least on the right track? Unfortunately when it comes to car audio I'm such a girl *shakes head*
Do I even 'need' subs? I love doof doof, especially dubstep, but mostly I listen to stuff like Megadeth, Alice in Chains, Stone Sour, etc.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated before I start spending money I don't yet have :roll:
Sahin
HULK

Re: Decisions, decisions :)

Post by Sahin »

You are such a girl lol
I don't get what question you are asking because you seem to have it figured out already lol
In my opinion, get at least 10" subs... Don't get 8's and deffinately get kickers if you want clarity ;)
Don't get a no name amp either... They will overheat all the time and f**k out on ya
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

I'm a girl ... you have to read between the lines :roll:

I doubt my decision making when it comes to things I don't know a lot about which is why I thought I'd post in here. Figured someone would come tell me I was a complete idiot, or at least halfway up the right track :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

XenaP wrote:I'm a girl ... you have to read between the lines :roll:

I doubt my decision making when it comes to things I don't know a lot about which is why I thought I'd post in here. Figured someone would come tell me I was a complete idiot, or at least halfway up the right track :lol:
Pretty much as long as you dont buy anything from the Sony Xplod series then you can't go wrong :lol:

Like Sahin said, kickers seem to be pretty highly regarded for sound systems.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Sahin wrote:In my opinion, get at least 10" subs... Don't get 8's
There's nothing wrong with 8" subs, I've got two 8" Alpine Type R's and they go hard. I have 330 watts going to each sub and got 137dB's at a sound off (and that was when I was still breaking them in and had the gains set a little lower). These subs can easily handle up to 500 watts each.

And best of all, I built a box that fits behind the strut brace. So lots of boot space.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

XenaP wrote:I'm going to replace it with this JVC head unit ... http://www.jvc.com.au/car-av/head-units/kw-r700bt. Unless there is something drastically wrong with it, that's the one I definitely want. USB, AUX, bluetooth and a colour changer. Everything I want ;)
I've got the model below that. I don't mind it, i've got no issues with it. The settings menus can be a bit of a PITA at first. But once you've got that all sorted the are pretty good.

I prefer something like that because it's easier to quickly change stuff when your driving, I find touchscreens to be too distracting. Plus these ones have a nice display and design

And yea speakers, plenty of decent ones on the market but as previously said, stay away from Xplods ;).
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

I have a JVC head unit similar to that one (single din though) in my Sirion and have always liked it which is why I chose that one for the FTO :D

Ok, so Autobarn in Lismore is no longer my friend :lol: Took the OA amp back, he (the original salesman) automatically assumed I'd hooked it up wrong, blown it and was trying to rip him off $200 - well that's what I guesstimate from him sniffing the product 8O Needless to say I got my money back but he was rather frosty towards me :roll:

Ugh, now I have to get quotes on installing this lot *eek*
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Vectose wrote:So lots of boot space.
I've got lots of boot space too :twisted:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Vectose wrote:
There's nothing wrong with 8" subs, I've got two 8" Alpine Type R's and they go hard.
I can testify to this! :D
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Vectose wrote:
There's nothing wrong with 8" subs, I've got two 8" Alpine Type R's and they go hard. I have 330 watts going to each sub and got 137dB's at a sound off (and that was when I was still breaking them in and had the gains set a little lower). These subs can easily handle up to 500 watts each.

And best of all, I built a box that fits behind the strut brace. So lots of boot space.
You sir have done something I was looking at doing a few months back, and you may have just given me the motivation to achieve this project once more
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Decisions made :) Went with one sub rather than 2 and downgraded slightly on the stereo (no bluetooth).

Got it all from Supercheap for less than what I could have on Ebay ... now there's a first!
Attachments
StereoStuff.jpg
StereoStuff.jpg (236.24 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

XenaP wrote:Decisions made :) Went with one sub rather than 2 and downgraded slightly on the stereo (no bluetooth).

Got it all from Supercheap for less than what I could have on Ebay ... now there's a first!
What'd you do with your old headunit? :D
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Nothing yet, only just took the surround out today so it's still in the car :roll:
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Anyone interested in buying a Clarion MAX386VD double din unit? Was $900 new in 2009 ... I'll sell for $150 + postage (and it's heavy!). In perfect working order. Can add pictures if needed. Even has an Alice In Chains CD in it - forgot to take it out before I uninstalled it :roll:

The info page @ Clarion
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

If sahin doesn't want this I'll take it..
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Well I want to see a bit of fisticuffs for it :P
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

XenaP wrote:Well I want to see a bit of fisticuffs for it :P
Naa.. they're partner :utbnb:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

He sleeps over a lot
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Hahahahaha

Postage should cost around $25-30 for regular postage according to the Australia Post website. It weights 2.8 kg 8O

Oh btw, phunkydude, I'm a 3d modeller and I love your avatar.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

silverGPX wrote:If sahin doesn't want this I'll take it..
Do you normally take things instead of Sahin? :utbnb:
silverGPX wrote:He sleeps over a lot
:(D):

etc.

There's probably a few more in there but im too lazy and tired to come up with them :lol:

Too bad I'm poor at the moment, that headunit sounds like a pretty good score for that price.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.