Toyota 86

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

PHIL069
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Toyota 86

Post by PHIL069 »

As you all know I hired a Toyota 86 for my trip in Sydney.
How does it compare to the FTO?
1. It is very comfortable - seats, driving position, controls/steering position are all great.
2. It's tip tranny is very responsive and gear changes are instant - if you are in sports mode. Flappy pedals are more of a gimic, they are only useable if you are driving in a straight line.
3. Acceleration is non responsive in non-sports mode - put your foot down and the computer takes several seconds to give you power and change gears. Acceleration is responsive and instant in sports mode. Accelertation doesn't seem to push you into your seat like the FTO and I missed MIVEC.
4. Handling is great - being a rear wheel drive makes it a lot easier to accelerate through corners, but not as fun as trying to drive the FTO through fast corners.
5. It does look good but it doesn't turn as many heads as the FTO and it's not as enjoyable to look at as the FTO. I don't think that it's as photogenic as the FTO either.
6. Interior is very modern...touch screen with blue tooth and GPS (GPS wasn't active in mine though as I didn't pay extra for the data card), dual zone A/C was a bit silly in a car with such a small cabin, heated seats.
7. Exhaust noise is non-existant, engine sound is a bit tinny.
8. Brakes are really good, 170km/h braking was smooth, straight and effective.

If I had to pick one to own forever, I would stay with my FTO. I'm sure the 86 would be a better car modded.
I had a bit of fun through the twisties...140km/h through a set of mountain road 65km/h corners then 170km/h down the following "big dipper". 100km/h through a dropping 360Deg 45km/h freeway entry. Accelerating from a stop start in sports mode and using tip I found to be a bit boring, when the engine hits 7000rpm the change light flashes and the engine dies. 103km/h redline in 2nd, I can get 120 in the FTO.

One last comment.....MIVEC RULES.

Pics...

mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Re: Toyota 86

Post by Shhtuart »

Thanks for this comparison.

FTO 4 LYF.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Interesting read, nice to see a comparison towards the FTO as well!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

You say that the FTO is more fun around corners. Do you have any speculation about what the FTO would be like if it was RWD?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

bjk wrote:You say that the FTO is more fun around corners. Do you have any speculation about what the FTO would be like if it was RWD?
I think it would take the fun and challenge out of fast cornering with the FTO.
If you wanted to RWD the FTO then you might as well just buy an 86, if you wanted to 4WD the FTO you might as well just buy an Evo.
The FTO is a FTO, if you change it, it won't be a FTO anymoar. It will look like a FTO but it won't feel like a FTO. ;)

I love the feel of high speed tight cornering while trying to control the torque steer, being able to put my foot down mid corner and the FWD just pulls you around, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is exciting driving.
I reckon that I have moar control and instant/constant feel through the wheel with the FWD, the RWD you just turn and accelerate and wait for what you can feel through your body/seat/car. The RWD just seemed a bit moar boring.

You go too hard in the FWD the car just keeps going straight but gives you time to correct/brake.
You go too hard in a RWD you loose the arse end in an instant, be OK if you where a drift king.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yep, fun car to drive and the biggest positive I found was the instant response for gear changes as opposed to the half a second lag with an old FTO gearbox.

FTO > 86
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Biased opinion.
The only thing the FTO has better to the Toyota is the engine sound.
Sorry guys...
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

PHIL069 wrote:
bjk wrote:You say that the FTO is more fun around corners. Do you have any speculation about what the FTO would be like if it was RWD?
I think it would take the fun and challenge out of fast cornering with the FTO.
If you wanted to RWD the FTO then you might as well just buy an 86, if you wanted to 4WD the FTO you might as well just buy an Evo.
The FTO is a FTO, if you change it, it won't be a FTO anymoar. It will look like a FTO but it won't feel like a FTO. ;)

I love the feel of high speed tight cornering while trying to control the torque steer, being able to put my foot down mid corner and the FWD just pulls you around, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is exciting driving.
I reckon that I have moar control and instant/constant feel through the wheel with the FWD, the RWD you just turn and accelerate and wait for what you can feel through your body/seat/car. The RWD just seemed a bit moar boring.

You go too hard in the FWD the car just keeps going straight but gives you time to correct/brake.
You go too hard in a RWD you loose the arse end in an instant, be OK if you where a drift king.
When did more become moar?
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

spetz wrote:Biased opinion.
The only thing the FTO has better to the Toyota is the engine sound.
Sorry guys...
Yes it is just my opinion and I am no professional car mag writer/test driver.
The 86 is a very nice car but it still isn't a FTO. It's just feels like a sported up Corolla with RWD.
I would still prefer to own a FTO than a Toyota 86.
Last edited by PHIL069 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

rock_it wrote:When did more become moar?
The day I joined FTO Aus :lol:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

PHIL069 wrote:
please no moar.. :lol:
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

rock_it wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:
please no moar.. :lol:
Don't worry, I've infected my housemate with "totes" and he's only realised when his uni friends noticed it. :lol:

Meanwhile, most interesting Phil... I've only ever known FWD cars, so I don't really have a lot to compare to. But based on the driving I have done I agree with you on how enjoyable it is.