EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boo

Post by Rob Furniss »

spetz wrote: @Rob,
How do you tune the ignition timing?
Or do you just have a preset (X pounds of boost = Y degrees of retard) equation that you conform to?
Hi spetz,
For ignition timing I didn't mess with it too much, i'm going off what the tuner did on my previous FTO as I still have the map from that and used it as my base map.

It's mainly 0 but there are a few points in the map where they added a little advance in (1-2 degrees) at certain boost levels and rpms but after 7 psi it's either 0 or retarding it so -1,-2,-3 degrees (depending on boost).
I went a bit more conservative though and any 2 degrees advance I knocked down to 1.
I really need to get it on a rolling road to verify i'm not getting dett though as it's a bit risky going off a previous map without knock detection equipment.

Rob
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Are you able to see what the factory knock sensor is picking up?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

No but I presume if it was knocking the stock ecu would retard it a little (well i'd hope so).
Taiwo
Mechanic

Post by Taiwo »

I have been reading a lot about supercharger on ftos as a cheaper alternative to turbo and it unlocks some of the fto potential.

I am wondering what do everyone think of supercharger vs turbo? Can you turbo a gpx or is it better and easier with a GR
ImageImage
"Is that a supra???".
"What's a Mitsubishi FTO?"
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Yeah you can turbo a GPX, a GR (or even GX) may be a better candidate though.
If you're handy with a welder it would help a lot.

Personally I like the supercharger route, my Son prefers turbo, and if you're chasing big power then turbo but I don't see the point in chasing big power with these cars, or I can't justify the cost but that's just me.
A modest increase in performance for a modest amount of money is where it's at for me.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Rob Furniss wrote:Yeah you can turbo a GPX, a GR (or even GX) may be a better candidate though.
If you're handy with a welder it would help a lot.

Personally I like the supercharger route, my Son prefers turbo, and if you're chasing big power then turbo but I don't see the point in chasing big power with these cars, or I can't justify the cost but that's just me.
A modest increase in performance for a modest amount of money is where it's at for me.
216fwkw for 5k is where it's at. lol
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I think you'd need to include labour for most people, Rob. :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

bjk wrote:I think you'd need to include labour for most people, Rob. :lol:
That includes Rob's labour, he's generous like that.
LED ALL the things.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Very generousImage
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Hey Rob,

If you see this I am going to have a fair bit of spare time and pretty damn good at Solidworks.

If you need help CADing anything I will be glad to help!
wa_fto_mikey

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

Post by wa_fto_mikey »

So is this kit available? Or is there a realistic timeline and cost thats been put together yet?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I'm putting the details together, just moved back to Perth so got quite a bit to sort out but it won't be long - not like another couple of years.
I can order most of the bits now whenever I want but as i've moved I need to find a new fabricator for the charge coolers, going to speak with someone next week. That's the last piece of the puzzle and once I have a price off him I can put it up on here for all you lot to say WAY TO EXPENSIVE, which is fine, trying to keep costs as low as I can and if people want some bits but not all that's fine too.

Charge cooler will be the most expensive single item and you may want to go with a cheap Chinese front mount intercooler and that's up to you, once you add up all the pipes and stuff there probably won't be much in it though cost wise and you still need a cut down intake plenum welding to some tube.

Also going to get the car ready for the drags for early January to see what she'll do against those Holden and Ford dudes, have to fix the oil leak first which i've had for years or she won't pass scrutineering.
Spike28278
Grease Monkey

Post by Spike28278 »

Any updates on this? :)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Yes a bit of an update.
I went to see the new fabricator on Friday who will be doing the charge coolers so I now have all costs, i'll pull it all together and let you know pricing.

My car is still running great, i'm seeing 9psi at the top end and pulled off a 13.76 1/4 mile which is pretty damn good for an auto.
I did some logging in the emanage the other day but it was in the wet so couldn't go balls out from the off, here's some figures.

3000RPM, 36% Throttle, 3.6psi boost, 23% inj duty cycle
3500RPM, 43% Throttle, 5.0psi boost, 29% inj duty cycle
4300RPM, 60% Throttle, 6.7psi boost, 48% inj duty cycle

4800RPM, 100% Throttle, 7.4psi boost, 55% inj duty cycle
5900RPM, 100% Throttle, 7.9psi boost, 65% inj duty cycle
Backed off.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits - pricing

Post by Rob Furniss »

Pricing in case anyone's interested:

Fitting kit will be $2900 (doesn't include supercharger), Will include:
Mounting brackets
Pulley bracket
Supercharger Intake
Supercharger outlet
Intake plenum with built in liquid/air charge cooler
Double pulley (replaces stock alternator pulley)

If charge cooler isn't required the price will be a lot cheaper but you'll have to make your own intake plenum, it has to be shorter than the stock one, I can advise. If you run a front mount intercooler instead of my charge cooler you may have stall issues when coming off throttle if you don't catch it (this has been experienced on at least 3 FTO's with Superchargers that didn't run an integrated charge cooler / intake plenum and instead ran front mounts).

Extra parts required not supplied by me:
Supercharger - Eaton M45 from mini cooper S
EMU - your choice, emanage blue would do if your on a budget, Haltech would be better, i'm running EMB.
Larger injectors (240cc or 275cc will be ok)
Reduction pulley for Supercharger (stock one is just too big and will result in really low boost, recommend 17% or 20% KAVS or ALTA V2, there are others)
Bypass valve (from mini cooper s, can get an uprated/fettled version from Detroit Tuned in USA)
Belt - 6PK 1335 or 1340
Electric water Pump for charge cooler, cheap one is RULE 401FC, Bosch/Cobra
Mini radiator for charge cooler - biggest you can fit behind your bumper
Hose (fittings on Charge Cooler are AN10 male)
Reservoir for Charge Cooler - 1-2 litre

Brake reservoir will need to be remote mounted

I can also supply individual items like double pulley, Mounting brackets etc if you want to do some of the fabrication yourself.

If anyone is interested just get in touch to discuss, i'll try to get it down a bit for your guys but I realise it's a large outlay so may not be many/any takers.
Turnaround time on some of the individual items is 1-2 weeks, full kit is around 4 weeks.

I've bought 3 Superchargers previously and got them all from ebay uk, there's one on there now which a refurb:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R53-Mini-coo ... SwMtZbUgQW

Another here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Used ... Sw-btaoAnb
They normally come up at around 200-300 pounds and around 100 pounds shipping but you can sometimes get them for less.

I won't normally be supplying them but I do happen to have a spare used one on the shelf which I could supply as is - no warranty, as far as I know it's good.