Xelux 6000, 8000 & 12000K HID headlight kits

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ruchi »

GPvR's have HID lights but don't have washers.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
IND38T
Apprentice

Post by IND38T »

im interested.....
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

IND38T wrote:im interested.....
Well, turn that interest into an action ;) because I'm ready when you are, almost got enough people!!
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Price drop for HB4 globes! Not that it whould really affect you guys :P
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

I'm very skeptical about how much better the light output would be with these HIDs fitted. Isn't the "spread" of light onto the road going to be the same as with normal lights, ie: you can't see further ahead or am I mistaken? I'm on my 5th set of blue/white rice bulbs now and they always seem to be worse visibility wise than normal yellow style ones.

Has anyone actually done a before and after comparison on an FTO - or at least another car with projector low beam lights? I just think that the main reason behind the poor headlights of all FTOs is due to the limited spread of light put out by the projector lamps. How about those with factory HID in their 97 on FTOs - do you find it better than normal bulbs or not?

I really just want some conclusive evidence that it is worth spending that money on headlights as the FTO size wouldn't be easy to on sell (if no good) to the majority of other cars owned by those looking to upgrade. Hence I don't wanna waste $650 odd. As it's not quite the sort of thing you can just swap over and swap back if you didn't like the result, before paying I mean of course.

Lastly - I assume any old auto elec could fit them up yeah?

Thanks in advance, Brad.
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Brad,
Just keep in mind that most of the cars that come standard with HID headlights have projector headlight assemblies :) They are better for HIDs than reflectors, as they focus the light better and therefore have less glare.

Next time you see a car with HIDs, have a look at the amount of light put out - the road in front of the car is basically covered in very bright light, compared to halogen globes, where you hardly see any light. I think that's a rough indication of the brightness comparison of HIDs vs Halogen globes!
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

tangcla wrote:Price drop for HB4 globes! Not that it whould really affect you guys :P
how much are they now?
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Adriano wrote:
tangcla wrote:Price drop for HB4 globes! Not that it whould really affect you guys :P
how much are they now?
$760 for the Korean Xelux brand
$820 for the USA Hella brand

Note that it's for H4, not HB4... ;)
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

u might have to edit your post to H4 then
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Adriano wrote:u might have to edit your post to H4 then
oh, my bad! :lol:

Done!
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Brad what might be an idea is to check out someone's car with HID's already or someone on here may be able to compare. I was thinking the other night that your question may be answered by comparing a factory HID system equipped FTO's lenses and lamp assembly and seeing if you can see any difference. Or better yet trying to source a factory setup to do a complete conversion. We all know the money eating FTO wants you to do it.
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Yeah I think Wallace has HID (Factory) but from memory he wasn't certain as he couldn't see any ballast units anywhere. Worse still I remember him saying he didn't notice anything that great about his headlights from a visual side. So either he has HID and they aren't better enough to change or he doesn't have them and who knows how good/bad they are??!!

Troubles are that factory HID equipped FTOs are very rare and hence finding one to compare with or a wrecked one to swap bits with is nearly impossible.

I have no concerns about the general HID being much better/brighter etc but I'm not so certain how they would be, specific to the FTO proj lights...
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I just thought someone on here could help by seeing if the lens etc is the same as the normal lighting system.
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Yeah Dan I know what you mean and the answer to that is that they are probably different lens housings as they have different part nos for HID and non HID headlights. However afaik this is only due the assembly of the HID bulb in that it is not a 9006(HB4) bulb. So obviously if this is the case that the HID use a diff bulb then the housing would be diff too as the HID bulb wouldn't fit in the socket for a normal 9006 halogen bulb. If anyone can follow all that :D I dunno maybe I have no idea what I am on about :? All I know is a 3rd party kit would be a 9006 fitment straight into the existing headlight housing...
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Brad, check with GPXXX in a little while, his HID kit just arrived and soon, we'll find out whether it's much better or a little better ;) 8)
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Hmm I will be interested to find out what Mikey reckons of his then...
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

indyfto wrote:Hmm I will be interested to find out what Mikey reckons of his then...
I'll be fitting mine today, and picking up Mikey's kit. Will try and get some before/after photos for you of my car :)
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

LOVIN MY HID HEADLIGHTS! 8) :twisted:
Will post some pics up when I get a chance.
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

Pics as promised :cool::

tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

So, who's interested in getting the HIDs?

Installation is a piece of cake, you seriously could do it yourself!

$648 for ALL except H4; $760 for H4 high/lowbeam.