Robs new project Supercharger

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Robs new project Supercharger

Post by aza013 »

The 2nd time round is always better, as you know all the things that could have been done different.

With all the things going into it it should go hard.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Shane001 wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote:There's a few of them on ebay like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Ther ... 3cc0bfecd9
Loving the progress on this build. Can't wait to see the results :)

Very interested in these temp sensors. What voltage are they? Being PC I'd expect 5v?
Where do you wire them into the FTO for a 5v power feed?
Thanks Shane.
They are 5V yes so you need a 12v to 5v transformer, something like one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Power- ... 3f124ecc60

I then took a switched feed from behind the stereo somewhere.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

aza013 wrote:The 2nd time round is always better, as you know all the things that could have been done different.

With all the things going into it it should go hard.
Thanks aza i'm hoping so, there's still loads left to do and I haven't fitted a single thing to the car yet just making stuff but it's fun.
When I fabricate the mounting brackets (next job after the charge cooler) and I know that they are ok I will make at least one more to keep as a spare so I can easily copy it at a later date (wish i'd done this first time round!).
FTO430
Apprentice

Post by FTO430 »

Better make that 2 extra brackets ;)
Ive been bidding on a tonne of superchargers from the uk, but keep losing the auctions. All because they finish really early in the morning when I'm sleeping :(
[img]http://www.mitsubishiclubaustralia.com/forums/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_mod&image_id=1654[/img]
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

FTO430 wrote:Better make that 2 extra brackets ;)
Ive been bidding on a tonne of superchargers from the uk, but keep losing the auctions. All because they finish really early in the morning when I'm sleeping :(
http://www.gixen.com/index.php
LED ALL the things.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

In case anyone was wondering why no more updates - my core arrived on Monday (took 1 week from the US :) ) but i'm out of brazing rods.
I ordered some last friday and they were dispatched saturday from NSW and they still haven't arrived.
I also ordered some extra rods from the US as they were cheap so i'm waiting on two lots of rods arriving, wonder which will come first.

What I have managed to get done though is opening up and smoothing the inside of the flange to match the plenum ports.
Before I did this I had oval ports plenum side and round holes flange side with a sizeable lip flange side, what were 40mm circles in the flange are now oval shape and match pretty good so i'm glad I spent time on that.
I used a HSS metal drill-bit-saw (the tip and first inch are like a normal drill bit and the rest is a bit like a reamer/burr/rotary file) and it worked pretty well. Just a burr would have done the job but I couldn't find one in bunnings - not for metal anyway. I used something like this http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=drill ... mDg&zoom=1

I've used up my last rod brazing the inside of the plenum against the now matched flange ports but haven't quite finished, will then be redoing the outside. A problem that I've had is while the inside looks great the plenum got that hot that the weld on the outside started to melt so I think i'm spending too much time on this and need to work faster, it's tricky due to the shape of the plenum really but I know I can get it done. It would have helped a great deal if my plenum was flat too - that's where a band saw would have helped.

Fingers crossed that the rods arrive today.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Still no brazing rods!
Checked the delivery status and it says attempted delivery about an hour ago but i've been in all morning and my wife has too.
I now have to wait until after 12 tomorrow and go and pick them up, i'm fuming and just phoned up to see if they can do anything but all they could do is put a complaint in.
Am I a whinging POM? too right I am but i'd rather just get my mail on time. (Royal mail are no better either)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:Still no brazing rods!
Checked the delivery status and it says attempted delivery about an hour ago but i've been in all morning and my wife has too.
Yep, sounds like Auspost alright.
Welcome to Australia.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Welcome to Australia.
Finally got my new headers the other day after 3 months - yep auspost is the best
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Taz wrote:
Astron_Boy wrote:
Welcome to Australia.
Finally got my new headers the other day after 3 months - yep auspost is the best
8O wow that is taking the piss
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

I know right, day after they were taking in to the post office they were on a plane from Lima to Australia, got here early morning after that and were in sydney for 3 months. Jaime launched an investigation into where they were a few weeks ago and his post office in Lima within a few days said we confirm 100% they landed in Sydney etc etc, now we wait on Aussie post to tell us where in aussie they are - which is a minimum 30 days response...a f**king joke if you ask me
Dad was getting some new pipes for his drag camaro from the states, aus post redirected them to the UK saying the address is in the UK, and then they said they had to go back to the guy who posted them in the states before they could accept them again...what a joke
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

That is terrible, maybe I shouldn't whinge so much as I don't think i've had it bad really.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

lmao im not fussed that your whinging, youve got the right to complain and dammit you should! Maybe if enough of us do then they will get their sh*t together....
Sahin
HULK

Robs new project Supercharger

Post by Sahin »

As if they care lol
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Taz wrote:lmao im not fussed that your whinging, youve got the right to complain and dammit you should! Maybe if enough of us do then they will get their sh*t together....
No I just feel quite humble after your hellish delivery stories mate, fingers crossed my parcel hasn't dissapeared when I go to pick it up tomorrow.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Rob Furniss wrote:
Taz wrote:lmao im not fussed that your whinging, youve got the right to complain and dammit you should! Maybe if enough of us do then they will get their sh*t together....
No I just feel quite humble after your hellish delivery stories mate, fingers crossed my parcel hasn't dissapeared when I go to pick it up tomorrow.
Same here, getting some race quality port and polished heads from Lima as well getting shipped over next week, i hope to god they dont take 3 months or get lost again....
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Taz wrote:Same here, getting some race quality port and polished heads from Lima as well getting shipped over next week, i hope to god they dont take 3 months or get lost again....
Oh god, you didn't buy off Smokesolid did you? Trololol if you did. South American 'quality' race ported heads huh...
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Ive seen many pictures and the headers are good quality, hoping the heads are too - besides at the price hes practically giving them to me so i cant complain.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've got the new rods - yay, and i've used 4 out of the 10 already - booo.
I have some more arriving from the states some time soon hopefully anyway, at this rate it would have been cheaper to buy a Tig welder :oops:
Just been finishing off the flange to cut-down plenum, it's quite a complex shape to weld particularly with these rods where you can't be all the accurate as you are just heating the material not focusing on the rods/weld area.
Done now and letting it cool down before I de-burr it inside, I can then get on with welding it to the core which is two straight welds so i'm hoping that will be easy.

Then used the wire wheel for a few minutes

Seems like i've done the job twice but i'm happier with this result, will hopefully have pics later tonight with the core welded on.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Looks good, nice to see some progress.