Top speed

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

elmo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

speed

Post by elmo »

Redline is about 120 in second in a manual....
And yea, like i said, drag has a lot to do with it, all I'm sayine is that with the revs and gear ratios available these numbers are possible, and if you need the extra power to push past the drag??? well there's always NOS!
5th gear in the manual is 190ish at 5500 rpm, where mivec is just kicking in. if you work it out these figures are not too far fetched but still only theoretical and dependant on drag.
I reckon thats why they make the mirros fold in, cause I heard that if you take the mirrors off the 6 speed commie you get an extra 15km/h...Less drag.
BTW drag can most easily be explaine as wind resistance but the smoothness of the road and the mass of the vehicle are also contributing factors.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

payaya wrote: i think over 130 is possible in second :)
i need to double check mine on a dyno and reset the speedo (its out from putting on new dials) but i'm looking at

75-80 (somewhere in there) 1st gear
130-140 (somewhere) in second

this is with quite a lot of work done to the car and as i said i need to recalibrate my speedo so it could be less.
payaya
Oldtimer

Re: speed

Post by payaya »

elmo wrote:Redline is about 120 in second in a manual....
And yea, like i said, drag has a lot to do with it, all I'm sayine is that with the revs and gear ratios available these numbers are possible, and if you need the extra power to push past the drag??? well there's always NOS!
5th gear in the manual is 190ish at 5500 rpm, where mivec is just kicking in. if you work it out these figures are not too far fetched but still only theoretical and dependant on drag.
I reckon thats why they make the mirros fold in, cause I heard that if you take the mirrors off the 6 speed commie you get an extra 15km/h...Less drag.
BTW drag can most easily be explaine as wind resistance but the smoothness of the road and the mass of the vehicle are also contributing factors.
mirrors are you too fit in tight spaces.

15km/h more top speed? whoever told you that is crazy.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

I reckon if you remove the wing/spoiler you'd get an extra 5kph out of it, hehehehe.... ;)
elmo
Grease Monkey

Re: speed

Post by elmo »

[quote="payaya
mirrors are you too fit in tight spaces.

15km/h more top speed? whoever told you that is crazy.[/quote]

It was in Commodore crazy (or similiar magazine, could have been street machine). They did a feature on the VN group A SS six speed, was a few years ago now though. I could probably find the original article if you think its bull, I've still got 'em all(or most)....

As for fitting into tight spaces, try reversing into one with no mirrors, or better still, if its that tight try getting out your door, cause it only makes the car 10-15cm narrower...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

elmo obvious u never seen those japanese parking space before, 10-15cm makes a huge different getting in & out of tight spot. If aero dynamic is the reason jap makes folded mirror, then why r they all standard from a 20kw cars to 206kw cars??? Mate u got a lot 2 learn about either Jap culture and Jap cars.

Hmmmm let c if u use a little bit of brain here, when u fold the mirror in, the flat surface actually face the front, so its actually less aero dynamic then the round smooth surface as it folded out.

Yes u might say is more aero dynamic since there r less surface against the wind, & the side is more smooth with the mirror fold in.

BUT THE WIND HIT THE FLAT SURFACE FIRST, THEREFORE IT WILL DRAG YOUR CAR DOWN!!!! SO U CAN'T ARGUE WITH THE LAW OF PHYSICS

edit: ok, i promise i'll be nice from now on... :)
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i think what elmo is trying to say is if you take the side mirrors off the Commodore 6-spd, you could get 15kph extra due to less aero-drag...

...btw i done see any connections between japanese car or parking issues in japan with his theory..??? :roll:

did i miss out something else here or.....??? :?