Please Help Need To Make Purchase Decision

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jmaynard
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Please Help Need To Make Purchase Decision

Post by jmaynard »

Hey everyone,

Let me start by thanking anyone who is able to help me with a few questions I have about FTO's in general as I need to make my decision shortly as to whether or not I should buy

My concerns are:

Availabilty of parts? (Paticularly headlights as I need these)
Are any parts available from dealers nationally?
Ease of service and basic service consumables?
(Some people are saying 8 hours to replace spark plugs due to location)
Insurance (although I have already got some good ideas from here)

In general this car seems to have everything my partner and I are interested in we just seem to be getting pretty negative opinons from some people around us in regards to this car.

Its a 95 GPX with power everything crusie control sunroof 14000KM owner has receipt from dealer when he purchased about 2 years ago, some work was done on gear box which seems expensive 4k (owner still has receipts) overall it seems very clean and tidy just a little nervous given the negative feel others have given.

Any stories or advice to help me would be great I'm just getting so confused.javascript:emoticon(':?')

:? :?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Availabilty of parts? (Paticularly headlights as I need these)
Try any of these....

http://www.completefto.com.au/FTO_showcontent.asp?hid=141
Are any parts available from dealers nationally?
Yes, but you need part numbers and will normally pay a packet for them. Northshore Mitsubishi in Sydney is the best one to call. There are a few of us with the parts DB. If you post up what you are after, one of us can look up the number for you.
Ease of service and basic service consumables?
If you have a trawl through this sire using the search, youll find plenty of info on this. Main one to be aware of is when the timing belt gets changed - this is likely to cost around $800. If the car has done around 100K, make sure this has already been done!.
Insurance
Again, do a search on the site, there have been a few threads dedicated to this topic. I use Shannons, but thats not necessarily the best one for you.
In general this car seems to have everything my partner and I are interested in we just seem to be getting pretty negative opinons from some people around us in regards to this car.
are the negative opinions relating specifically to this car or the FTO in general. If you can give us an idea of what they are, we can tell you whether you are likely to have anything to worry about or not
Its a 95 GPX with power everything crusie control sunroof 14000KM owner has receipt from dealer when he purchased about 2 years ago, some work was done on gear box which seems expensive 4k (owner still has receipts) overall it seems very clean and tidy just a little nervous given the negative feel others have given.
Youll only get positive ones on this forum. I guess none of us would be here if we didnt like the car. In my opinion, the FTO is an excellent car considering its price. It is not a rocketship (buy a skyline if you want this). but it handles exceptionally well and is actually reasonably economical considering its a sports car. Insurance wise its not the cheapest (grey imports never are). Parts arent too hard to find. Servicing can be a little dearer than usual. And great to look at. All in all, excellent value for money.

Make sure you choose wisely, like all cars, there are good ones and thrashed ones. There have been heaps of threads on what to look for when youre buying. Look for rust spots in roof for starters. Check out this tread for more http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=8085

My advice - if you like the car, pay a few dollars to get it checked by a reputable mechanic and get the seller to fix any problems found (or drop price accordingly).
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Well the right thing you did is come to this forum.

if you EVER have ANY problems, there is nothing that I can think of that we can't help you out with.

And this is displayed by the post above me, you'll notice fast how helpful everybody here is.

None of us have ever regretted buying an FTO, the only thing you will regret though, is if you give up the opportunity because of negative feedback from others.. just don't listen to them, I can tell you along with others that there are a lot of people with a lot of assumptions about FTOs, buy once you've got the car you can see for yourself there's nothing to worry about.

Please take a little time to have a quick browse through the forums and I can gaurantee you - you will find all the information and help you need.. the FTO HELP section is just a click away! :D
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    JOeJOe
    Oldtimer

Re: Please Help Need To Make Purchase Decision

Post by JOeJOe »

jmaynard wrote:
    Is it 140,000km or 14,000km??? 14,000 seems really low for a 95 model.

Also, do FTO's come with cruise control?? i was under the impression that FTO's didn't come with cruise control, additional option perhaps???

Just curios, what price was on that FTO you saw?

Tell yah what, if you want a flashy, unique, cheap, reliable (depends how well you take care of it) and head turner then the FTO is the go.

Leave the misses at home and cruise the streets and watch the chicks look your way, priceless !!! chicks with d*cks even, if you're into that kinda thing :D
    FtoSam
    Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Very Constructive JoEJoe :?
    RedlineGX
    Grease Monkey

Re: Please Help Need To Make Purchase Decision

Post by RedlineGX »

JOeJOe wrote:

Leave the misses at home and cruise the streets and watch the chicks look your way, priceless !!! chicks with d*cks even, if you're into that kinda thing :D
    8O :?
    khunjeng
    Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Parts : Not an issue if you are prepared to look for them yourself. You will find many in the major shops like Repco.

Insurance : Sux if u are under 25, but this is not limited to the FTO. Shop around.

Service : You need to know where to go. This forum should help you with that.

Performance : Good all rounder when stock,. Its a still a quick car, just not the quickest.
    jmaynard

Well... I now own an FTO

Post by jmaynard »

Hey guys thanks for all your comments, after much consideration I have now purchased an FTO and after basically driving it all day feel confident it was the right decision. Hopefully things will work out well with the car.

Thanks again

Josh