What to do?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

oodLes
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What to do?

Post by oodLes »

I'm a big HardStyle fan (heavier form of trance) and even run a download site for it over at Bassbyte.com. Anyway, at present the sound system n the FTO just doesn't satisfy my needs and Im wondering what I can do to improve it somewhat.

I have no plans of a sub until much much later down the track, but music is a big thing for me and my car used to be one of the few places that music sounded the best thanks to the isolated area. My question is, should I get replacement 6"ers in the front, or a different headunit to pump out more sound through the current stock speakers.

Thanks for any help guys.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Re: What to do?

Post by JOeJOe »

oodLes wrote:I'm a big HardStyle fan (heavier form of trance) and even run a download site for it over at Bassbyte.com. Anyway, at present the sound system n the FTO just doesn't satisfy my needs and Im wondering what I can do to improve it somewhat.

I have no plans of a sub until much much later down the track, but music is a big thing for me and my car used to be one of the few places that music sounded the best thanks to the isolated area. My question is, should I get replacement 6"ers in the front, or a different headunit to pump out more sound through the current stock speakers.

Thanks for any help guys.
First thing to do is replace the stock speakers, they are shockers.

Replace the front's 6" and the backs 6"x9" that'll give you better sound for starters.

Head unit's, plenty out there to choose from, if you have an ipod, buy one that's ipod ready ... continous music.
noccers
Grease Monkey

Post by noccers »

Bin the stockies, fast!

Get yourself some rockfords :D

A good set of 6x9s will supply you with enough bass to keep you satisfied until you decide to go a little deeper with a sub, and make sure you get yourself a good amp! There's a huge difference in the output quality (power and clarity) from a cheapish amp to a good one.
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; gasp; eject; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep;

successful trades: d_stroy_r, shue, mxysxy, dstocks
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

I've decided to go a good headunit, mainly this JVC Usb connectable one.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

oodLes wrote:I've decided to go a good headunit, mainly this JVC Usb connectable one.
If your into hardstyle, 20 bux says you'll be going speaker and amp shopping as soon as you can afford it :wink:
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Id say there's a 300% chance of this happening. :lol:

I have big plans speakers wise, but its also a pipe dream as I'm not sure its even feasible. You know the rear passenger arm-wells, just behind the b pillar? Remove the wells, make a custom fibreglass surround, and mount 2x12" Pioneer flat-subs in them. 8O

Still, as I say, pipe dream. And don't none of you people go stealing this idea. :lol: :lol:
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

i run a pioneer headunit and it made the most differance out of my system, even with the stock speakers (which are pretty f**king good btw!) i now run my stock 6x9's inside the rear quarterpanels and run sony xplod 6x9's in the rear and 6 inch in the doors... more than enough sound now. replacing the dash speakers would help too... if you have a decent set of front speakers then avoid tweeters. accoustics of the fto do not suit them.

oh and if you dont have dash speakers the kind people who built the fto have run the wires for them to the dash so if u lift up the covers youll see a wire and speaker brackets just sitting there waiting to be filled.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

oodLes wrote:Id say there's a 300% chance of this happening. :lol:

I have big plans speakers wise, but its also a pipe dream as I'm not sure its even feasible. You know the rear passenger arm-wells, just behind the b pillar? Remove the wells, make a custom fibreglass surround, and mount 2x12" Pioneer flat-subs in them. 8O

Still, as I say, pipe dream. And don't none of you people go stealing this idea. :lol: :lol:
as i said, i have my factory 6x9's in that very spot and its a very tight fit. you will never EVER be able to get subs in there. the subframe runs vertically in that very spot and it was just tight enough to squeeze the 6x9's in and zip tie them down (as an added bonus metal objects now stick to the outside of my car)

also, on the drivers side subframe is a whole bunch of electrics including the internal thermostat and a computer (for which the use of it slips my memory) but there is just too much stuff going on behind that panel.

if i was you, turn it into a 2 seater, make a fibre glass cover for where the rear seats were and mount your phat subs in there.... (who really uses the back seat anyway right?)

Mike.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

SchumieFan wrote:...i have my factory 6x9's in that very spot and its a very tight fit. you will never EVER be able to get subs in there.
Actually, this could be more feasible than you think. 12" Pioneer flat subs are only 8.3cm deep. Most 6x9s are not far off this. By making your custom fiberglass panel sit a fraction further out, you could get clearance to mount them. Only thing is, not sure if these subs work well in infinite baffle (ie, not in a box) some do, some don't. If they need a box, this would become a headf***k.
In terms of computer boxes back there, these can be shielded from interference if that's what your worried about.
Just keepin the dream alive... :D
gazeek
Apprentice

Post by gazeek »

your into hard style and you dont want to buy a sub ? In some countries you'd be shot for that ....

I like everything from Chill to prog to trance to thrash metal ... and I would never go without a sub ... it just gives your car sound so much more depth ..

Seriously ... consider it .. you'll never look back..
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

TCGPX wrote:
SchumieFan wrote:...i have my factory 6x9's in that very spot and its a very tight fit. you will never EVER be able to get subs in there.
Actually, this could be more feasible than you think. 12" Pioneer flat subs are only 8.3cm deep. Most 6x9s are not far off this. By making your custom fiberglass panel sit a fraction further out, you could get clearance to mount them. Only thing is, not sure if these subs work well in infinite baffle (ie, not in a box) some do, some don't. If they need a box, this would become a headf***k.
In terms of computer boxes back there, these can be shielded from interference if that's what your worried about.
Just keepin the dream alive... :D
good point, but i still think it would be an impossible fit given the shape of the car.

not so worried about interferance but rather the amount of room to mount the speakers.

good luck! god speed!
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Got my headunit put in yesterday:

Phone camera doesn't do it justice.
boarsai
Mechanic

Post by boarsai »

Interior shots are a bastard in the dark, gotta hold the camera super steady, something I have dificulty doing :D Too much bzzzz running thru me or something hehe can't stop moving. :lol:

I love my tripod :)
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Like SchumieFan, i first replaced my headunit with a nice one and it made sooo much difference. The stock speakers suddenly weren't too bad actually (but still not good lol). Couple of weeks later, went out and got some 6.5" for the doors and 6x9s for the rear (Jaycar response precision stuffs) and also soldered all the connections while my mate and i were at it.

Looking back at it, i would still definitely change the headunit first. YMMV, as my car didn't come with the stock headunit but some *really* crappy cd player that the previous japanese owner slapped in just before taking it to auction.
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

Stupid question.What brand are the stock speakers or arent they any brand? mine came with Alpine when i got it and my left speaker seems to be dieing and its not worth listening to music when u only got the 1
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Not sure what the original brand is but it has Mitsubishi markings on the back (the oem speakers ie).
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

topao wrote:Stupid question.What brand are the stock speakers or arent they any brand? mine came with Alpine when i got it and my left speaker seems to be dieing and its not worth listening to music when u only got the 1
who care they are *~dreamy~* to the max..
msbchi
Grease Monkey

Post by msbchi »

My FTO was fitted out with old Kenwood equip (old head unit with casette and seperate cd 6" front and 6X9 rear.First up I changed the head unit for kenwood 7020 4X60 head which quickly demolished the old speakers so replaced the front with Orion 6.5 splits (sooo good) and Orion 6X9s in the rear and a couple of Blaupunkt tweeters in the rear quarter panel just below the seat belt tensioner and I'm about to pick up an Orion 4000 amp to give the bass more punch. The Orions are so good you really don't need a sub as the amp pumps out all the sound you could want unless you want to go comp. Also don't need extra battery power. As I said IT sounds great, runs off the normal battery and you don't lose your boot space