Some questions

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

checkers
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Some questions

Post by checkers »

I'm new too & after a FTO. The advice around sounds great & I was wondering does RACV or NRMA do good checks on these cars, do they check that it hasnt been winded? J
ust I don't know anything about cars and my mates dont really know much just pretend to & afraid I'll get ripped off because I'm a gal!
Also are they reliable, stock ones? 1994-1997 models require much maintanence? Do they have airbags, safe?
Sorry for the many questions but the only other car I've had is a classic mini so not too up to date.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

We will get on just fine then :) I have a 69 Cooper S Mk1 Mini :P

FTO's are as reliable as any other car around the 10 year old mark. Sure they were never sold by Mitsi here, but its just a jap engine & running gear. Any mechanic can work on it. Some models have airbags, you have to look for them as it was an option & not standard equipment. ABS was the other safety option. I cant see why an NRMA inspection would be any different to other cars.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I have found mine to be reliable...its needed some stuff replaced but its stuff like air con etc...normal stuff.

Generally its been good.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Go look at a number of FTO's and you will soon get a feel for which ones have been looked after well, and which ones haven't. RACQ checks are a good idea to do, as well as check that the cars service history up to date and serviced regularly.

My car has been fairly reliable - the second day after I bought it, the alternator broke and I had to get it rebuilt, but that is something that happens to all cars and is unavoidable - cost me about $200 - but nothing has gone wrong with her since.

Then theres the usual costs with maintenance/servicing. Be aware that after 100,000km these cars need a major service which can be around the $800-1500 mark, depending where you get it done. So I would suggest, if you're buying a car that is close to the 100k mark, either get the car yard to do the service before you buy, or screw them down on price because of it. If you're buying a car over 100k, make sure that the major service has already been done, this means most importantly - making sure that the timing belt has been replaced
checkers

Post by checkers »

Bennoz wrote:We will get on just fine then :) I have a 69 Cooper S Mk1 Mini :P
Cool always wanted an S version. Thanks for the lowdown guys. I have seen a couple FTO's & they are pretty cool.

One other question is regarding insurance, I was getting it pretty cheaply with Shannons before rating 3, one accident & I had a write off (at fault) so will I be turned away for insurance now? 20yrs old. I know it's going to cost a packet but not sure if I can even get any at all.
Merry X-Mas.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

to be honest...

its gonna cost u a bit...
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

Hey who needs insurance :lol: ive only had a few accidents this year no biggy
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

topao wrote:Hey who needs insurance :lol: ive only had a few accidents this year no biggy
a few... is a few too many...
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

topao wrote:Hey who needs insurance :lol: ive only had a few accidents this year no biggy
that just shows what a noob you are! your a disgrace!!!!!

oh look jono's back... :lol:
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

hahaha filling in for me i see...
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

rofl yea bro i been doing you proud haha!!
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

sublime19 wrote:

Lol hey only one of them was my fault and thats because i didnt top up the brake fluid. All the others were other drivers fault for being such crap drivers.

But hey if its a red fto you got i recommend getting it insured even if it does cost $4350 :P
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

topao wrote:
sublime19 wrote:

Lol hey only one of them was my fault and thats because i didnt top up the brake fluid. All the others were other drivers fault for being such crap drivers.

But hey if its a red fto you got i recommend getting it insured even if it does cost $4350 :P
lol its all good, done take us too seriously :wink:

yea i no what u mean about idiotic drivers.. i no what u mean all too well :?