South Australia - 2007 Cruise 1 - 4th February

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

glamorous
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by glamorous »

this is gna be my first cruise i hope all goes good, i mean,.. my bfrends boss even wants to come.. my bfrends BOSS.. *wink wink better be good*
lol
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

Does he/she drive an FTO too ?
[color=blue]Death is life's way of telling you - you're fired.[/color]
Oh Bugger, my sig block pic has dropped off the host ;(
hendrix
Grease Monkey

Post by hendrix »

I wanna join to, unfortunately got bloody exam on the next day n my bank acc juz got raped by the police ... :cry:
Xanetia
Apprentice

Post by Xanetia »

mmmm just what you need then hendrix some down time and relaxing :)

will help free the mind ready for the exam :)

well thats my thoughts anyways lol
StewGood
Apprentice

Post by StewGood »

Hey me again...

Im putting my car in for transmision check to find out what exactly is wrong with it :(. But the good news is that it hopefully will be fixed before the 4th - (THE CRUISE) if it is still goin ahead...

So yea... il keep u infromed and the verdict is...........

I HATE NOT HAVING MY FTO!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ps - Q - Is manual better then tiptronic, like what are the pros and cons of each? i smell a debate :D
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

StewGood wrote:Q - Is manual better then tiptronic, like what are the pros and cons of each? i smell a debate :D
Dangerous debate... but honestly, its a matter of personal preference. I dont like auto's but the Mitsi Tip is a good box (We have one in our Pajero cos the Mrs doesnt drive manuals lol) So one thing I looked for specifically when buying my FTO was a Manual. Cut down my search dramatically by the way. It seems most are Tips, and I couldnt find a single Manual with a sunroof... dont know why that is. Bummer too, cos I really wanted one. (sunroof that is) :cry:
From experience though, I think better performance from the manual... :P (Take that Travis !!!)
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

StewGood wrote:...i smell a debate :D
Na, that's just Steve you smell...

Yea, bit better performance from the manual as Steve said.
On the 4 speed auto 1st and 2nd gears are quite tall which bogs it down a little too much off the line. I've hit the speed limiter and still only been in 3rd. I've heard the 5 speed auto is much better in that respect though.

I still love to drive manuals, but for an auto this box is great. Very smart, it not only learns your driving style, but it taps into the ecu for info as well. It even tries to figure out if the person driving is the usual driver or someone just borrowing the car when it comes to "teaching" the auto side of the box. It will automatically downshift on downhill runs too, good for a fast run back down the gorge as it keeps her a bit more rev happy :wink:

I like options, so when I'm in heavy traffic I can leave it in "D" and relax, but get her out on the twisty stuff and you can still have control over your shifts.

Bottom line, both boxes have very good reputations for quality and reliability. Comes down to a "sportier" drive for the manual, or a bit of both worlds from the auto. I made my decision based on the other options my car had. It's like someone walked into mitsi's and asked for an FTO with the lot :D (and that includes the sunroof Steve- there's nothing like a beachside cruise on a nice summer day with the sunroof popped and both windows down 8))

Bit of info for ya StewGood, fingers crossed we'll see you on the cruise.
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

Nice summation there Travis. :D A question just popped into my head out of the blue... Have you driven a Manual FTO ? Just curious is all.
StewGood wrote:But the good news is that it hopefully will be fixed before the 4th - (THE CRUISE) if it is still goin ahead...
Still going ahead as far as I know. Although Shaun hasnt been on for a while, but nothing unusual there. Aparently he has a life aside from his car... 8O

Oh, and that reminds me Shaun, if we are getting a whole heap of Cruise Virgins this time around, you should probably make sure you have a supply of Club Stickers with you... And for the Newbs, bring some cash to buy a sticker for your car. I think the going rate was $5 each (correct me if I'm wrong Shaun). You know you all want one. or two. :twisted:

Ill see about updating the flyers I have on my PC, and print some out if ppl are interested also.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

Sparhawk wrote:Nice summation there Travis. :D A question just popped into my head out of the blue... Have you driven a Manual FTO ? Just curious is all.
No, hence the lack of summary on manual boxes.
As I said I love driving manuals, my last 2 cars had manual boxes. There's nothing like launching one hard off the line, and they are a bit more fun. The tiptronic took my interest as something new and after taking my car for a test drive I decided i could still have fun with it and be lazy when I wanted too :D.
You can still launch the auto ok, but like I said it bogs down a bit too much. You can use brake-torquing to get a better launch than just pedal mashing. This means you engage the brake or handbrake (brake with left foot) and throttle at the same time. The stall converter will come up to about 2500 RPM and the car winds up like a spring. Simply release brake and floor it the rest of the way (same time) for launch.
Just don't let it sit in this state for very long, as it heats up the trans fluid quickly = cooked gearbox and loss of cash and driving time.
They could do a lot better if the stall converter let the revs come up a little higher, I think a few of the guys that drag Tip FTO's in the UK have done this.
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

OK, back on topic, The cruise next Sunday. (Yes, only 1 week away now)

Been speaking with Ben/Donna cos they said they were going :) and the girls (being girls) decided to meet us at the park. So they can head straight there, and hopefully reserve a BBQ's for us :)

So I guess stuff to bring would basically just be stuff you want to cook for lunch and something to drink (FTOA fully supports responsible consumption of alcohol)

Looking forward to meeting all the newbies :) See you Sunday :D
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

But I'm only going if everyone stops pretending to hate each other.... come on guys group hug time :).

I'll start it off... and no sneaking in a grope guys...

*HUUUGGGG*
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

Who said we hate each other ? What ever gave you that idea Ben ??? :lol:

Its just some friendly insults... they all know im jk :roll:

Speaking of Insults... anyone heard from Shaun ?
phantom
Grease Monkey

Post by phantom »

hey people what time is the cruice on this week end. the time is geting closer and all i know is the location, what do we need to bring, what is happening, whats the program. thanx.
phantom
Grease Monkey

Post by phantom »

hey people what time is the cruice on this week end. the time is geting closer and all i know is the location, what do we need to bring, what is happening, whats the program. thanx.
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

phantom wrote:hey people what time is the cruice on this week end. the time is geting closer and all i know is the location, what do we need to bring, what is happening, whats the program. thanx.
When : Sunday 4th Feb 10am (Unless specified otherwise by Shaun)
Where : Usual meeting place (Here for the Newbies)
What to Bring : BBQ food you want for lunch. Something to drink (It's going to be a hot one too) oh, and your FTO :lol:
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

I'll bring along some bread for everybody, it's easy to get our sat night shift to make some extras.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Well, I could read all that, but seems Steve is on top of it actually. My loyal minions are useful after all :P

But yes - still going ahead - meet @ 10am as Steve said, and go from there. Will sort out a reasonably interesting journey for us too, but will be a good chance to catch up and meet some new faces.

Will bring the stickers along too (mental note there).

Other than that, something to eat, drink, and that should suffice.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Oh, and **huuuuuugggggg**

Except Steve.

**Nods head**
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

I feel so loved... <sniff> :cry: