favor for a friend

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dnugenz
jedwabna poszewka promocja

favor for a friend

Post by dnugenz »

Hi guys,
My names Dave. I'm on here to do a favor for my friend :D She owns a FTO GX and her head gaskets seems to need replacing. Just wanted to know if you guys know a good mechanic in Melbourne that would do a good job for a good price.

sorry to barge in like this as a n00b but she's desperate cos she's been quoted $3000! 8O

Any help is much appreciated...Thanks heaps

Dave
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

how do u know its the h/g?

Take it to Lee, serach Vic section for Lee's number.
dnugenz

Post by dnugenz »

I haven't inspected it myself, her mechanic advised her that its her head gasket thats causing her to lose coolant.
I've done a search here and I've got his number. Sounds like he's a reliable source. Do you know how much he would approx charge for something like this?

Thanks for your help.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

He'll need to see it most likely. You can try your best to try and explain the problem and hope he can figure it out. So all you need to replace is the head gasket?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Nacho wrote:He'll need to see it most likely. You can try your best to try and explain the problem and hope he can figure it out. So all you need to replace is the head gasket?
depends on how bad it is..

could be water pump etc...depends on if the guy sussed it out properly...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_gasket - Some informative reading.

$3000 seems a ridiculous cost for this, unless it has cause extensive damage to the engine - I really don't see it being justifiable. I would be taking it for a second, third and fourth opinion :P Don't tell them about what another mechanic has said the problem is or how much the others quoted you, or they may just take it for face value without actually checking it out.

'Tis getting harder and harder to find a decent, HONEST mechanic these days, they are out there, but are few & far between - when you find one who isn't just out to swindle you, stick with them.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

oh, also is her engine overheating?? noticeable performance loss? strange noises?

what are the symptoms? some people might be able to offer better advice given more info about the problems she's having with her car.

Oh, and please tell her that 'tis not good to drive it if she has a blown head gasket ;) Get RACQ to tow it..
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Yeah I've learnt my lesson just taking it to some random mechanic. It's funny how I asked to have my spark plugs changed yet they decided to clean out the fuel tank and injectors as well and stung me quite a bit of money for it!

Anyway who did the diagnosing for you? If it's a company we recognise they may actually be telling the truth! :?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

a head gasket can be hard to determine dpeending on how bad it is leaking/blown. If its bad you heads warped or u have fuked your enegine...

Ring Lee, get it fixed right, his mobile is 0414738781.

Dont waste your time with anyone else.
dnugenz

Post by dnugenz »

Well I'll be meeting up with her soon and i'll have a look. This Lee guy sounds trustworthy so I'll give him a buzz. Where is he located? or does he still comes around to check the car for you?

She says there's no smoke but the mechanic she took it too did the bubble test via the radiato coolant. She's a chick so she didn't explain that much to me hehe :P

I'm not familiar with the FTO's V6 engines as I own a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R.

Anyways I'll get back to you guys. Thanks for your help....very much appreciated. May good Karma comes your way hehe :D

Dave
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

not a problem dave.

The bubble test is not always 100%...depending on a few things and depending if they were trying to rip her off or not.

Lee is in Springvale, bit of a hassle for some, but basically for anything major, he would be the only person I would take any of my cars to..

If you need a hand, let me know. A few of the boys can help u if u like. I'm in the east, Nacho is in the west wtc.

KJ
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Nice car :)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:
Nice car :)
yes its a nissan, great engines... :P

dnugenz

Post by dnugenz »

Yeh they're great cars. Had mine for over 3 years and it hasnt missed a beat. Nice R33 :)

If anything I'll PM you Khunjeng if there is any other issues so we can come to you. The owner's in the West so Either yourself or Nacho can help her out.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

As long as I'm free I'd be more than happy to. Sorry to sound a bit sexist but chicks and mechanics don't really mix well coz the price usually triples when chicks get quotes. F*cken dishonest mechanics! :evil: