Ive lost the will but I want a head unit...

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

StraydoG
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Ive lost the will but I want a head unit...

Post by StraydoG »

OK when I got my car a few weeks ago the owners replaced the original cassette player with a new one some months before. In this day why not a CD player? Anyways, the car still had stock speakers so I threw in my MP3 discman and car kit. Ive gotta say the sound quality and bass is REALLY good. Most of you probably sitting there thinking WTF but it really was that sweet.

Just this morning my brother and I went out to check out some head units and Ive got to say, Im disgusted at what I heard. Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic etc everything we put a CD through was trash. Not untill we tryed playing through the Sonys with a 12" sub did we get the quality of bass Im getting right now on my carkit and stock speakers.

Basically at this point Ive lost the will to even bother. The other reason Im scared to get a unit is because when a professional (note that word, cos its "true") installed one into my Dads car his sounds turned to sh!t. He was better off with his cassette player. Absolutly NO bass. Can anyone convince me Im just being retarded or will I have to add mew speakers etc into my car to even get anywhere?
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Ive lost the will but I want a head unit...

Post by kid_dynamite »

StraydoG wrote:OK when I got my car a few weeks ago the owners replaced the original cassette player with a new one some months before. In this day why not a CD player? Anyways, the car still had stock speakers so I threw in my MP3 discman and car kit. Ive gotta say the sound quality and bass is REALLY good. Most of you probably sitting there thinking WTF but it really was that sweet.

Just this morning my brother and I went out to check out some head units and Ive got to say, Im disgusted at what I heard. Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic etc everything we put a CD through was trash. Not untill we tryed playing through the Sonys with a 12" sub did we get the quality of bass Im getting right now on my carkit and stock speakers.

Basically at this point Ive lost the will to even bother. The other reason Im scared to get a unit is because when a professional (note that word, cos its "true") installed one into my Dads car his sounds turned to sh!t. He was better off with his cassette player. Absolutly NO bass. Can anyone convince me Im just being retarded or will I have to add mew speakers etc into my car to even get anywhere?
With the exception of Alpine, I probably wouldn't go near any of those brands of headunits. If you wanted a decent sounding one, I would recommend Eclipse, although they aren't detachable face (they use a proprietary security feature, ESN, google if it if you want more info).

Also remember that front speakers sound that much better running off an external amp.

Always remember
- splits up front, amplified
- no rear speakers or run them off the headunit
- sound deadening will make a world of difference to your car
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Following this logic people with cassette players from the 1980's should be getting better bass than us today. I wonder why they don't use them in installations then. :P :wink: