Cooling a Turbocharged Engine

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Cooling a Turbocharged Engine

Post by FtoSam »

Okay, after watching my temp guage it is now much more prone to creeping up a bit on hot days... so i need to cool it a bit.
Was thinking aluminium radiator. I know Danny has one and i thought that would be sufficient.

I was also wondering if an oil cooler would be usefull??

Being manual i dont need a transmission cooler.

The idea is to give this engine everything it needs to last.
I plan on forged pistons(which also lower compression to 8:1) soonish and upping the boost to around 14psi. So i plan to upgrade things to be able to handle what lies in store for my baby.

BTW: what does anyone think i could pull (HP and qtr mile times) at 14 psi? Keep in mind i plan to pull out stereo for track stuff.. as well as CF bonnet, lightweight rims and CF boot. (dunno if it makes heaps of difference.)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Low 14 or high 13 if you get it right.

Vented bonnet, but its illegal though.... or front nos cooling kit like in the 2Fast2furious R34 GTR.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

i reckon if you have nice tyres to grip the track with 14psi you should easily do high 13s.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah intresting to see what HP and torque it dynos at. If u do it on a roller u should get the tractive effort also which will help indicate QMile times.

I would be expecting ~14s with street tread. But u need to launch it right !
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Already got vented bonnet... muhahahahaha...
I was speaking to a guy that has an fto for sale on car sales reckons he does a 13.58 in street trim...... N/A too... says he hays time slips. Trying to get him to come on the Mt Nebo Cruise.. will be interesting to see if he's for real.
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Got a link to the carsales ad?

Sam do you have a heatshield on the turbo? They do a lot to stop radiated heat throughout your engine bay.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

YEah i have a heat shield... and his carsales add just looks like a std fto... but he says they're old pics and he has done massive work since then.
I am really doubting his credibility. but then again i also doubted there was a red fto that put down 400hp and WASNT jeff.. got proved wrong there. :oops:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

This reminds me of some of the dyno run Vic members had, some of us pull around 500nm of torque :lol: Dyno sheet proven.

Paper figure don't mean sh*t, OTR performance is what makes the different between tosser and winner :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FTO338 wrote:This reminds me of some of the dyno run Vic members had, some of us pull around 500nm of torque :lol: Dyno sheet proven.

Paper figure don't mean sh*t, OTR performance is what makes the different between tosser and winner :D
I dont mind. I'II race anyone if they want.

forget the bs...hehe
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I'm talking about the FTO dyno sheet, not Sky, my ex-FTO was like 480Nm :lol:

Wait till my warranty is over for my rides, i give you some run for the money.....but like you said before, i probably change car by then.... :lol:
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FTO338 wrote:I'm talking about the FTO dyno sheet, not Sky, my ex-FTO was like 480Nm :lol:

Wait till my warranty is over for my rides, i give you some run for the money.....but like you said before, i probably change car by then.... :lol:
ya its for sale now...looking for an upgrade I think...
Vaeth

Re: Cooling a Turbocharged Engine

Post by Vaeth »

Samson wrote:Okay, after watching my temp guage it is now much more prone to creeping up a bit on hot days... so i need to cool it a bit.
Was thinking aluminium radiator. I know Danny has one and i thought that would be sufficient.

I was also wondering if an oil cooler would be usefull??

Being manual i dont need a transmission cooler.

The idea is to give this engine everything it needs to last.
I plan on forged pistons(which also lower compression to 8:1) soonish and upping the boost to around 14psi. So i plan to upgrade things to be able to handle what lies in store for my baby.

BTW: what does anyone think i could pull (HP and qtr mile times) at 14 psi? Keep in mind i plan to pull out stereo for track stuff.. as well as CF bonnet, lightweight rims and CF boot. (dunno if it makes heaps of difference.)

Couple of other things that could help with cooling:

* Lower temperature thermostat (radiator cap)
* Better fans for the radiator/oil cooler/intercooler. (i.e. SPAL fans)

--V
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Definitely an oil cooler and you can invest in a fan controller where you set the temp for the fans to come on etc. Water injection kit will also help as will heat wrapping anything close to a heat source. Make sure your coolant system is working effectively also. If you havent already may be a good idea to flush the system and ad new coolant. Redline Water Wetter is a nice additive also. Do all of that and you should have 0 heat issues.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

RedlineGX wrote:Definitely an oil cooler and you can invest in a fan controller where you set the temp for the fans to come on etc. Water injection kit will also help as will heat wrapping anything close to a heat source. Make sure your coolant system is working effectively also. If you havent already may be a good idea to flush the system and ad new coolant. Redline Water Wetter is a nice additive also. Do all of that and you should have 0 heat issues.
Redline water wetter is def. good. I use it and drops the temps easily by a few degrees.

I would take apart my whole cooling system, flush and replace as necessary. Maybe a better radiator would be good also. But dont go crazy and buy an ARC one for 3k.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Had entire radiator taken out and pressure cleaned a month before turbo.. as well as a 5*c cooler thermostat. and complete flush.
Will look into some water wetter. and maybe oil cooler too.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

The EVO's have a intercooler spray, where by u can spray water onto the intercooler while travelling along which cools the air as it goes through the intercooler
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

YEs yes... Evo's have this... Evo's have that... bloody evos and their superior AWD... grrr...

But thanks for the suggestion... maybe a windscreen washer type setup....
could be handy....

dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

pwr does aluminium radiator to fit the FTO, works ok has dropped mine by a few degrees. also using evo style bonnet now too. i run toyota red coolant, very good and it runs hot but dosent boil.
FTO_ADZ

Post by FTO_ADZ »

I find if you go really really fast and then just glide at high speed helps squeezie.... hehehe

Well cause the heat of the turbo 700degs+ it doesnt really help, so when you get home, pop ya bonnet for a hour or so, will help from frying something out!!
Race yourself, it's better than being beaten by an FTO :-)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

thanks mate