Cooling a Turbocharged Engine

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by khunjeng »

FTO_ADZ wrote:I find if you go really really fast and then just glide at high speed helps squeezie.... hehehe

Well cause the heat of the turbo 700degs+ it doesnt really help, so when you get home, pop ya bonnet for a hour or so, will help from frying something out!!
700 u say.
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Most people who have turbod FTO's or VR4 transplants have had similar problems. I know I have, heres what Ive done which seems to have fixed it.

1) Oil cooler is a must
2) 1.3 bar radiator cap
3) water wetter
4) Make sure all the air that goes through your front bumper cant escape before it goes through your rad, so it cant get out the side after the intercooler.
5) Vented bonnet
6) Aquamist
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

RichardB wrote:Most people who have turbod FTO's or VR4 transplants have had similar problems. I know I have, heres what Ive done which seems to have fixed it.

1) Oil cooler is a must
2) 1.3 bar radiator cap
3) water wetter
4) Make sure all the air that goes through your front bumper cant escape before it goes through your rad, so it cant get out the side after the intercooler.
5) Vented bonnet
6) Aquamist
Why not just get a good radiator if your car is overheating? U need a good one and PWR one as suggested would be a nice upgrade.

Oil cooler is also good.

Water wetter does the job also. I can confirm that.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Well now that i've driven the car for a week or so (in some pretty hot weather and for periods up to 8 hours straight)
It has not overheated once... good little car...
But im thinkin oil cooler might be a good option.. as well as water wetter was recommended to me by the tuner...
geting a 1.3bar radiator cap.... explain please... :roll:

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

FtoSam wrote:geting a 1.3bar radiator cap.... explain please... :roll:
Water boils at a higher temperature when its under pressure, a 1.3 bar rad cap holds the pressure higher so gives you a higher boilingpoint.
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

So when you guys say oil cooler you are talkin about tip gearbox right???

Your not talkin about engine oil r u?

If you are, where the hell do you plumb into.

I know its an old thread so bite me 8)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

I8AFRE wrote:So when you guys say oil cooler you are talkin about tip gearbox right???

Your not talkin about engine oil r u?

If you are, where the hell do you plumb into.

I know its an old thread so bite me 8)
engine oil, put a sandwich plate on between the block and the oil filter that will allow you to pipe in an oil cooler and locate it where ever you want, mine is on teh left behind one of the 2 facelift foglight holes.

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Where do i get one of those from. i checked out one site but didnt know which one ill need?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I8AFRE wrote:Where do i get one of those from. i checked out one site but didnt know which one ill need?
these are generic items. as descibed above it simply looks like a small intercooler/radiator depending on the size and # cores u get.

it woulndt be a bad idea for the tip either!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

these are generic items. as descibed above it simply looks like a small intercooler/radiator depending on the size and # cores u get.

:lol: No khunjeng im talking about the sandwhich plate

I already have one for my tip
But thanks mate
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I8AFRE wrote:

:lol: No khunjeng im talking about the sandwhich plate

I already have one for my tip
But thanks mate
np you have an aftermarket tranny oil cooler for a std FTO? The stock one is cooled through the radiator already and seem sufficent for a stockish car.

the sandwitch plate is also a generic item you just need one with the right thread diameter.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah i have one mate but its not installed yet, its for when i turbo it. But in saying that everytime i do a hill run man you can smell the burning oil. i changed my tranny oil and then had to do it again after a hill run as it was burnt to sh*t (only had it in the car for about 8000k, hopefully the tranny cooler will reduce it burning so quick.

Ps i wasnt laughing at you before just reminded me of another post where i totally missed read wha someone was saying and felt a little :oops: . I look forward to reading everyone of your post as you know what your are talking about so again thanks
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I8AFRE wrote:yeah i have one mate but its not installed yet, its for when i turbo it. But in saying that everytime i do a hill run man you can smell the burning oil. i changed my tranny oil and then had to do it again after a hill run as it was burnt to sh*t (only had it in the car for about 8000k, hopefully the tranny cooler will reduce it burning so quick.

Ps i wasnt laughing at you before just reminded me of another post where i totally missed read wha someone was saying and felt a little :oops: . I look forward to reading everyone of your post as you know what your are talking about so again thanks
hehe I had no idea you were laughing, just thought your a hapy guy!

Only only had a tranny cooler for the ford when i used to tow stuff I have never noticed an issue before in the FTO, but then again its had a pretty easy life.

Out of intrest what oil are your running in your tip box. I have always ussed the OEM or equiv. oil which is SP rated as apposed to dextron III. Maybe give that a go.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I think im usuing dextron 3 cause when i first joined this site that was what they were recommending
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

The standard Tiptronic gearbox oil cooler is not up to the job, and its renound for blocking. I would certainly put one on that as well.