oils aint oils

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jono
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

oils aint oils

Post by Jono »

there was a post about oils before the new updated site, but ive forgoten and its lost....

what oil everybody using on their 6a12's?
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Hmm I think I remember somebody saying

Fully synthetic 10w50 (eg Penrite)

Unless of course you have a GR with noisy tappets and thanks you may need slightly thicker oil.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

At my last service my tech recommended Magnatec - he said the fully synthetic oils can run to the bottom of the engine overnight where this stuff is supposed to stick better - less wear on the engine in the long run.......
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I had a very bad experience with Magnatic, yes they do stick 2 your engine over night, & it provide protection during start up, but as the oil are 2 thick & it sticks to the engine, so when its running it slows down the engine as well! It few like the car had de-tuned! I've try it on few different cars before turbo & N/A & had the same result, but as soon as I change it back 2 other oils, the car run much better!

From memory on the other post, someone said FTO mean 2 run 25w-40w
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Check the information section of this website - somebody went to a lot of trouble to make it :)

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... age&pid=29

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Somebody DID go to a lot of trouble to write that, but that somebody isn't from this website. That extract was cut and paste from UK's FTO site's Q&A section (not that there's anything wrong with that - plagiarism is my middle name). Correct me if I'm wrong.

PS: It's also an ad.
MAC

Post by MAC »

What about MOTUL?? I heard that is one of the best to use. However, the other day i saw 2 types but didnt have a close look. One was about $50 and the other $70. Which MOTUL grade is the best for the gpx?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

ive tried a motul oil in my engine and it just didnt sound as smooth on idle as the Mobil 1 oils.. Which is wierd... :(
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

what grade of oil should mivecs use??

jono
FT-TRO

oils

Post by FT-TRO »

Just got my car serviced @ Perfect Run and the guy there uses Pennzoil 10 30, semi synthetic. He reckons they are good for multi valve variable timing engines
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

sorry to drag out this thread,..
but ive just changed my oil in my 95 man GPX and now my tappets are really noisey when the engine heats up (still quiet when cold)
so im thinking the oil i used was too thin
semi syn 15w/50

but other people are using 0w/40 right????
what oil does everyone use?
maybe i just need to get the tappets adjusted (despite being "checked" at a recent service)....
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hello,

I have been trying a few oils and still haven't really found a good one yet..

I have tried Mobil 1, Vavoline(gold bottle), Castrol (top of the range one), and now have just changed it to mobil synthetic 10W40.

I think the 15W50 is too thin for the Mivec engines...or for FTOs..
And I don't think there is any oil such as 0W40...if there is one, please let me know...
So now I have tried 10W40 which is the closest I got to a 0W40. But the engine is still very noisy!

I think this matter is quite important as I don't know for most of you but I change my oil my self all the time and to find one oil that'll satisfy most of the FTO drivers would really benefit..

So who ever reads this forum, would you please take few minutes just to let everyone know what oil you are using and whether you are satified with it or not...

Thank you everyone...
:)
elmo
Grease Monkey

oils

Post by elmo »

I was once told by rally driver that unless the motor has had synthetic oil in it since new, there is no point changing, cause the damage is already done... dunno if this is true or not.
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

i actually changed my oil the other day and i put in Castrol Full Synthetic 5W/20 i think, was considering the Castrol 0W top range but that would set me back 90 bucks...

honestly haven't seen any difference, but at least i know theres good stuff under the bonnet :P
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I am currently using Catrol Formula R 0W40

Seems to be running fine, although I won't have anything to compare to until my next oil change... might try the cheaper Motul Turbolight 10W/40 and see if it was worth the extra dosh for the Castrol
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I use the Shell pictured above no comment really though until the next change when I try something else.
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Everyone seems to be using a different grade!

Does anyone know what the manufacture recommends? From the handbook maybe?
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I couldn't find anywhere in the FTO service manual that mentions the
recommended viscosity standard we should follow. But it does mention that we should use oil with "SG" category or higher.

Check out this chart produced by the American Petroleum Institute:

http://www.castroljapan.com/eng/useful_ ... es02.shtml

I think it's a pretty good guide.
From FTO to EVO......
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

i did an oil change to semi-syn 15W-50 and my tappets became very noisey all of a sudden.... rattled quite badly when hot.

I did another change the next w-end to Mobil S semi-syn 0W-40 and they have become quieter, so im thinking the 15W-50 is too thick my GPX.

I dont know what oil it originally had, cause this was the first oil change for my car since i bought it.