Sub box Design

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Gajza
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sub box Design

Post by Gajza »

I have ordered a FTO and i would like to build the sub box before it gets here so could you guys/girls help me out, I am wanting to put 2 x 12" subs in the boot. Can you please give me the measurments of the boot. Or some dimensions for building a box of even picture's if possible thanks.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

welcome to the club Gajza... :)

the enclosure sizing will largely depend on what sub is being used, because different subs have different volumetric requirements in order to perform at its optimum efficiency. You will find that the subs you have ordered will come with factory recommended specifications for the enclosure.

Brendan (DZYRME) has managed to fit 2x 12" Kenwood subs in his boot and let me tell you that whilst it sounds and looks spectacular, you will just barely fit a single golf bag inside - just as a rough guide.

Out of interest, what subs have you got?
Gajza

Post by Gajza »

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.

At the moment i have 2 Sony Xplod 12' pentagon subs power buy a 3000wrms amp. The subs cannot handle the power so i am buying 2 Audiobahl 12" subs.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Hey Gajza, keep us all posted on your progress. I am also going to do this (when I can find the time). But it looks like your quite keen to get started so you'll probably have it done soon right? Let us know how it goes.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

whoaaaa...!! 3000wrms???? 8O 8O

what amp are you running????
Gajza

Post by Gajza »

Its a Boss riot amp
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hmmmz, i never knew BOSS made such a monster amp... i mean, 3000wrms, faaaaarrrk... the internals of my ears will be thumped to bits and pieces with only 10% of that power! 8O

ok so it seems to me like you are going for big SPLs (having such a darn powerful amp) so i guess the sorta subs you're looking at will most likely be more than $3K each, and with such a massive driver (to cope with that kinda RMS from the amp) the enclosure will be huge, esp when you got 2 of 'em in mind... in fact i wouldn't be surprised if you had to build the enclosure 'around and within' the boot instead LOL...
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

That bass would probably be pretty high on the Richter scale 8O . Earthquakes gallore :lol:
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Ok, There are a few people who have asked me for the dimensions of the Sub box in my FTO. The measurements are as follows: 90cm (w) x 33cm (d) x 40cm (h). My box has a partition in the middle of the box to separate the two subs. The wood I used was 20mm Hardwood, with a piece of 10mm Toughened Glass. I don’t recommend you make this box if you always use your boot or if you use your car for performance. My box alone weighs a ton (thats an exageration) without the subs in it, and it is almost impossible to get it into the boot. It is a pretty big sacrifice you have to make but it my case it was worth the sacrifice. The box is bolted in just behind the back seat, and bolted to the bottom of the floor. My box was specially designed for the 2 Kenwood Subs that I am running. (I.e. Each Sub required 1cubic foot in a sealed box) If you want to run your Sub at its proper potential, I recommend you build your box according to the spec sheet of the particular Sub. I hope this has helped all of you in some way.

Also, be warned if you have 6x9’s in your rear parcel shelf. I have Kenwood 6x9’s in my car and they just clear the top of the box by 1 mm. This was one thing I didn’t consider when building the box, and was very lucky to fit it in. If your speakers are deep, make sure the box will fit in underneath them.

Cheers,

Brendan

Here are some pics of the setup of my boot

smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

must be able to use a thiner lighter weight wood!

i've got a strut brace in my boot which effectively kills 1/3 of the space i just use my back seats for luggage ;)
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

The best timber to use for a sub enclosure is craftwood as it has no grain which means it wont resonate at different frequencies. A thickness of at least 19mm would be the way to go as obviously the box needs to be rigid. Most 12" subs are designed to be used with a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure( vented enclosures are different ) Aerpro have ready made encosures of this internal volume, two of these will fit side by side in the boot of an fto and will clear the 6x9 speakers (just) You can get these enclosures from autobarn at about $70 each (hi-fi supermarket in melbourne have them for $29 at the moment). Check the manual for your sub woofers recomended enclosure volume, like i said most 12'' subs require a 1 cubic foot enclosure (sealed) though there may be some exceptions.:lol:
ps. How are you going to power your 3000wrms amp? How can the alternator of an fto produce enough current (250amps at least) to get 3000wrms?
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

3000WRMS? Is that a boss amp, those low budget ones? More like 100WRMS :)

If the subs cant handle the power, its more like its going into clipping from underpowering them.