1/4mile Times

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Demogorgon
jedwabna poszewka promocja

1/4mile Times

Post by Demogorgon »

Hey :twisted:

Just like to know what every ones 1/4 miles r????

And would any one know what 1/4mile times I would be running if I got my GPX turbo???
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: 1/4mile Times

Post by GPXXX »

Demogorgon wrote:Hey :twisted:

Just like to know what every ones 1/4 miles r????

And would any one know what 1/4mile times I would be running if I got my GPX turbo???
when you say 'GPX turbo', you gotta be a little' more specific... for a start:

1) what turbo size are you running
2) how many psi are you running on that turbo?
3) what sort of tyres are you using?
4) what is the wet weight of your car?

these 4 major factors will mainly determine the 1/4 mile times.

I'd guesstimate an FTO with a basic 6psi setup (on a T25/28 with std internals) should be able to cut low 14s or high 13s depending on tyres and driver skill...
Demogorgon

Post by Demogorgon »

The turbo kit i'm thinking of is one that RPW is making now...

I didnt think of the other things u said...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Demogorgon wrote:The turbo kit i'm thinking of is one that RPW is making now...

I didnt think of the other things u said...
hahaha, well there are tonnes of other factors which can affect your 1/4 mile times... i really can't be bothered to go thru them right now coz it's not relevant at this stage but yeh, it's not just a matter of bolting up a turbo to an engine for more power and expect to run decent time - it's a matter of how well the power can be transmitted onto the tarmac as well.

As for the RPW turbo kit, i believe it is still under development/testing therefore any speculation about its performance or potential is purely just that - speculation. Only time will tell...
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Expect low to mid 14s with a mild (7psi) of boost :lol:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

scracy wrote:Expect low to mid 14s with a mild (7psi) of boost :lol:
is that based on manual or tiptronic?
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Based on my experience with a tip box. Obviously these times would be marginally better with a manual. These figures are REALISTIC as i have run my car at heathcote on an 18 degree day and a bit of a head wind. I have made some improvements since then, but im expecting low 14s. :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

there seems to be an increase in the amount of people turbo'in their 6a12 block, i have a few questions, how reliable is this method ?? that is running 6psi boost without dropping the compression ratio, or strethining internals. I have heard of a couple of blocks just going pop, and while u might run wicked 13s times, thats no good if you pop your engine in the process. What sort of parts is rpw supplying in their kit, i dont understand at this point of production why they cannot release gains (if any) or prices
They have already tested in on a car and run into a ocuple of problems, but why not inform everyone of these problems, and what sort of gains they did get. they also know extacty what parts they will supply, bar a couple which will be changed to overocme the problems they have, im sure they owuld be able to give an estimate price region, if they are 1-2k off it doesnt really matter.
where has that guy from rpw gone ?? i mean if he wants people to hand over 6+ grand, he should at least inform us of wtf is happening.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Fair point G A V about rpw, they should keep us informed its called good customer relations. As far as reliability goes, im running 7psi boost with a t28bb turbo and a few other bits and pieces and i have had no problems with fuel or detonation or anything like that, the car is as reliable and streetable as a stock fto. :wink:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

it'll be more htan 6grand.

turbo 1800
intercooler 1000
pipework 800
injectors 1000
fpr 350
decompression plate ... not sure say 600
computer 1500
misc bits 500

this is just guesstimate pricing but you'd be lucky to get away with 8grand or less don't forget you still have 2-3 grand worth of mechanic's time on top of this.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Rpw stated that they wouldnt recommend running more than 7psi boost with a tip box. Since most ftos are tip and assuming they dont run more than 7psi boost then a decompression plate would not be needed. Increasing the octane of the fuel say upto 104 ron would allow for more boost once again without the need to decompress the engine. I dont think a few runs at say 10psi will hurt the gearbox. :lol:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

whos going to daily drive 104 ron fuel in their car? that'll cost a fortune
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

8k doesnt really sound that good bang for buck when you are looking at 130-140kw @ the wheels. I have seen andres old car which pulled 165 or 170 i think without a decompression plate. i dunno the details though
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Stephen, no you wouldnt drive with 104 ron fuel in your car. What i was trying to say is put some octane booster in your fuel tank when going to heathcote or in your case eastern creek and then wind in some more boost. My car is fitted with a boost controller that allows me to do this. :lol: ps: G A V I find it hard to believe that youve heard of a couple of 6A12 blocks going pop as past experience has shown me (on a previous car) that more than likely youll blow a head gasket first unless the engine has some serious detination problems, even then I think the head gasket would let go first as it is the weakest part, certainly weaker than cast iron. :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

oh what i mean about goin pop, is something major going wrong with the engine, i am no mechanic, but i know when helen had her fto turbo'd it fflew she blew many cars, but the engine blew, also when rpw were testing their fto supercharge kit they blew a few 6a12 blocks, hmm im sure there is another one cant put my finger on it though.
i know supercharging is a lot different, but hey its still foreced induction on a high compression engine. Have you looked at drive line modifications, im not sure how long a tip box would last with that amount of power.
btw im not critisising or anything just exploring possible outcomes before i consider spending that sort of money, especially 8-10 k, im sure u coudl transplant a 6a13 for less then that and have a much more tunable car
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

scracy wrote:Stephen, no you wouldnt drive with 104 ron fuel in your car. What i was trying to say is put some octane booster in your fuel tank when going to heathcote or in your case eastern creek and then wind in some more boost. :D
Thats why i got 6 bottle of octane booster in my boot! ahhahaha

& yeah scracy next time u go 2 heathcote or something, let me know, i hook u up with 30+ ron booster, that will make your car like a f**king jet! ahahahaha but only one shot cause they can melt your piston!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

G_A_V wrote:...how reliable is this method ?? that is running 6psi boost without dropping the compression ratio, or strethining internals. I have heard of a couple of blocks just going pop, and while u might run wicked 13s times, thats no good if you pop your engine in the process...
the 6A12 might have high compression ratio out of the box from the factory, but it's not as high as some Honda VTECs by comparison so yeah 6-7psi are pretty much the maximum boost you can 'safely' run before compromising reliability. of course, 6-7 psi can still 'pop' something if the work is not done right esp with dodgy tuning... i guess the decompression plate (as part of the RPW kit) is there to lower the CR as an extra 'insurance' against detonation... having said that, though', higher compression on a turbo motor means better response off-boost as well ;)
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeah i know, i guess the decompression plate is a good idea, im not sure exactly how they work though, like some how they lower the compression of both the fuel and air, but wouldnt it be better to stop it running at that high in the first place, rather then running at a high compression then lowering it ?? :?
maybe thats what it does i have nfi
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

the way i see it (and this is purely based on my dodgy physics theory), running lower compression on a turbo'd motor with low boost will give sluggish engine response (ie: lag) and perhaps less power as well (coz there is less compression hence less fuel and air in the combustion chamber thus less power being made)
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Youre sort of on the right track mikey, actually a low compression engine is a dog to drive of boost simply because of the lack of compresion. Think of how a worn engine is to drive absolutely no throttle response. Lag is basically the time it takes for a turbo to spool up boost, can be caused by a number of things such as too bigger turbo for a given engine displacement, too bigger intercooler (since the turbo needs to pressurise a larger volume), wrong size inlet/exhaust housings,lenth of intercooler piping etc. Every turbo engine has some degree of turbo lag as it is inherent, unlike superchargers. G A V a decompression plate is simply a plate that basically looks like a head gasket. They are usually available in different thicknesses depending on compression ratio required ( lower compression=thicker plate) they lower compression by increasing the volume of the combustion chamber. Fitting lower compression forged or high silicone content pistons is a better but more expensive option to a decomp. plate as they handle higher temps and pressures. :wink: