Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

fto12345
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Preparing Body kits for re-spraying..

Post by fto12345 »

Hey guys,

Does any one know any thing about preparing a body kits for re-spraying?

I have a fibreglass front bar and it's currently painted in white colour.

I am trying to prepare this front bar for re-spray...

Does any one know what to do?

I heard you can sand it down, then apply a prepsol which is a very good cleaning product, and then primer then paint.

But I am told that there are a lot of hair line cracks all over the front bar and it needs a repair..

I mean I don't need a show room condition paint job on it, I just want to paint it and as long as it looks ok, I'll put it on.

Stephen actually mentioned some thing about a gelcoat?
Would this help with the hair line cracks?

Thank you all in advance..
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

A spray paint/panel beater place should be able to tell you. And if you're going to get them to re-spray it, then the preparation work should all be in the same quote.

If you've got the money, I would get it done professionally.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

yea ask around, do some research...

dont just go looking for the cheapest place that'll respray your front bar... my experience has taught me that it can f uck u up big time, the colour could be off, paint could be cracking... it just makes the car look terrible...

i totally regret being a tightarse!!!!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

just a small pointer - find out the exact color code from Mitsubishi (or FTOOC etc) for your car and then tell the panelbeater - they should be able to match it up easily according to manufacturer color specs.

however just bear in mind that if your car has been exposed to sunlight for pro-longed periods of time over the years, you may get slight discoloration of shading variances which could make things a little' tricky...
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

they usually mix and match...

yea the paint usuaully fades over the years if its been in the sun too long... also if u've had accidents before, like on the left or right panel, and the paint has been mix n matched, it'll be harder to get it right...

if u've seen my front bar and front right quater panel, u'll notice the colour is very different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

GPXXX wrote:however just bear in mind that if your car has been exposed to sunlight for pro-longed periods of time over the years, you may get slight discoloration of shading variances which could make things a little' tricky...
That's why you wait for a couple of years for every corner of your car to get banged up (like me :evil: :evil: ) and then get the whole car resprayed at once. Much cheaper in the long run to do 1 big job than lots of little jobs, and the colour will match to boot.

I've had small hit & runs on every corner of my car except front left and the front bar is cracked down the middle :cry:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.