Runnin 2 Amps

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

cb
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Runnin 2 Amps

Post by cb »

hey guys I have a CDX-R3300 xplod headunit. Stuffs me how many pre-outs etc it has but I have an 800w mono block Pioneer amp running 2 12" subs off that. a pair of 6.5" Clarion splits up front and 350w xplod 6x9's at the rear (which sucked to install but thats another story). I have a 300w 2 channel amp sitting here at home and want to pump my splits off it. Is it possible to do off this headunit (possible as in possible I dont care if it's dodgy) thanx
Cbrown1986
Grease Monkey

Post by Cbrown1986 »

If it's not then split the rca's with an RCA splitter..
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Cbrown1986 wrote:If it's not then split the rca's with an RCA splitter..
Don't think that will work. If the headunit has a LPF on the RCAs (which it seems to have), and you through a splitter on them you'll end up with only lows through the fronts.

cb best way is to use a "line output convertor" (LOC) on the front speaker wires from the headunit. You connect the speaker wires to the LOC, and on the other side of the LOC it has RCA outputs you can then connect to the amp.

You can pick up an LOC from most decent audio shops. Let me know if you have trouble getting one and I can locate one for you.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

^
I second that.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

i bought a pair of them RCA splitters aftre I asked one of my mates that works at autobarn he said its dodgy but it may work there is some cord that came with my head units and i can get signal off my rear speaker and that but i cant find the cord anyway if i get it i'll have a fully sik set up uleh haha. I'll be sure to post pics up when im done should look tidy im hoping (took one sub out mixing sub brands just wasnt real good lol)
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

:?

If you run it off the RCAs one of two things will happen:

- you turn on the LPF on your headunit, as a result your splits only get low frequencies and sound like sh*t

- you turn off the LPF and you get full range being sent through to your sub, it'll sound like sh*t
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

kid_dynamite wrote::?

If you run it off the RCAs one of two things will happen:

- you turn on the LPF on your headunit, as a result your splits only get low frequencies and sound like sh*t

- you turn off the LPF and you get full range being sent through to your sub, it'll sound like sh*t
If it's a half decent amp for the sub, shouldn't it have a LPF anyway?

If it's a good deck, I would have thought it would have at least a full range output in RCA, I've never seen a deck with only RCA Sub outs...

If this is the case:
Deck -> RCA Splitters
One set of RCA to amp for splits
One set of RCA to amp for sub(s) and LPF set up on this amp.

Should work fine, except no fader/sub control from deck. Just have to set up the gain settings on your amp properly to allow for it.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1613/sigpic2se2.jpg[/img]
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Lol that's a good point. I forgot about the filter on the amp.

But it's an old school Sony headunit. Only one set of preouts which is either full range (rears) or sub output with LPF. Which is why I reckon a LOC is a much better option, quality wise. Throw a line driver on that and you're cheering.
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

i got some cord and now its running well i'll post up photos of the install its super super hot!