To sub or not to sub? that is the question

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

msbchi
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

To sub or not to sub? that is the question

Post by msbchi »

I face the dilema of installing a sub or or not. At the moment I am running an all Orion system, consisting of a 4002 amp, 6.5 splits at the front and 6x9s at the rear with a Kenwood 5020 (4x50) head unit soon to be replaced with a doule din TFC monitor/ head. The sound is brilliant except for the crappy Mitsubishi wiring to the door speakers which I hope to be rid of shortly (once I get off my lazy arse to change it ) the problem is I don't want to loose the boot space cause we load the car to the hilt when we go to our beach house. The current system has more than enough volume to deafen me and excellent punchy bass through the 6x9s and is crystal clear even at max volume However I have a 600 watt Blaupunkt amp that I was going to trade for an Orion 200 mono block and a 12 inch sub. I think this will put the eletrical system into over load as I think the existing system is borderline ( the battery light begins to flicker when at idle and in drive) so I will most probably need a dry cell to boost another amp and sub . More space lost So before heading down the subway just wondering how much better the system will be with the new head and wiring. I guess the answer is to get the head and wiring first and if I still want more then I'll have to go the foot long
noccers
Grease Monkey

Post by noccers »

The question isn't whether to sub or no; it's whether to twin sub or not :D Think about getting 2 x 10" subs and mounting them eitherside of the boot in those useless gaps; basically squaring off the boot. That's what I'm about to do.

Or, get one space saving 12" and mount it on some checker plated sheet metal in that useless hole between the boot and the backseat :D I'd layer where the two metals meet with vibration matting or something so you don't get an annoying rattle
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; gasp; eject; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep;

successful trades: d_stroy_r, shue, mxysxy, dstocks
SILVERFISH
VIC Coordinator

Post by SILVERFISH »

if you're a fan of techno / dance music go for 2 x 10"...
but for anything else stick with 1 x 10"... it would be overkill

if you're really concerned about boot space, save some coin.
there's some great space saver subs on the market at the moment,
a little pricey though.

i've been considering changing over to the Alpine PLT-5 or
PLV-7 and finding somewhere inside the cabin to mount it :wink:

EDIT - considering the value of the aussie dollar at the moment,
might be worth looking at picking up one from overseas?
[url=http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13989][img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8793/ftoclick6gx5.png[/img][/url]
msbchi
Grease Monkey

Post by msbchi »

Fitting a sub into any old hole will not work there is a volume / space ratio(something like that) to consider. Stick a sub into too small a space and it sounds like 80% of the doof doofers out there, " distorted sh*t " no bass just vibration and I have to agree Gav tight punchy bass with 1 or 2, 10 inch is what I'd prefer and I have the Orion mono block and sub lined up but I also need a car that is pratical and if I do go ahead it has to be a quality install not just a box stuffed in the corner, there's the dilema